Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 01:08 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
This is an EXCELLENT QUESTION. I too have often wondered the same thing. And quite frankly, am convinced that the black race has been hoodwinked by Christianity and I believe If black people would open their eyes and see the true history of Christianity they would run away from it. Blacks simply refuse to belive to accept that Christianity was a European invention that the black race was indoctrinated and forced into from the day black people arrived in the United States. In my opinion, Christianity has done absolutely nothing for Black people. Just take a look at the inner cities...there is a Church on almost every single street corner (and this is no exageration) and it seems like almost every other person on the street is either a Preacher, Deacon or Evangelist. All these Churches, all this Jesus, while crime runs rampant in the community. Christianity has done nothing for black people, but kept them in the gutter.
Preach on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 07:53 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Errrmmmm... I'm kind of hesitant to touch on this subject because I think it raises some issues.

I think if you look at American history, it's no secret that slavery is a horrible part of our past. However, it's even sadder (and to me it's quite typical) that Christian slaveowners (or "Masters") taught their slaves the Bible. What's even sadder is that many of these slaveowners fed verses of the Bible that promoted (or failed to condemn) slavery in order to keep their slaves "in check". Keep in mind that any sort of formal education was completely unallowed for slaves in those days so any interpretation of the Bible was done by the "Master". It's no surprise to me, that even 140 years after the abolishment of slavery, that people still stick to their roots in regards to their beliefs. It's just passed down from generation to generation. No one questions it. No one bothers to ask. It's just accepted. I think with the typical Caucasian settlers you won't find much difference. Although they weren't 'slaves', their respective homes in Europe were all or mostly rife with religious fervor. Irish and Italian Catholics, English Protestants, etc.. etc.. all form a part of this country. Not much has REALLY changed except that people are speaking out and against religion a little more than was ever socially or legally allowed.

Anyway, anytime you have groups of people that have it really, really 'tough' such as the slaves of the 1500-1800's, the following inhumane equality that African Americans had in the early 20th century, or any other 'tough' time you'll find that religion becomes a little more deeply rooted. I think it's one of man's ways of coping with the unfairness of life. It doesn't mean it's true, it's just a way to deal with the bad things in life. "Life got you down? God is there." "Are you being treated unequally? God is there!" "Sad about the death of a loved one? God is there!" I think that many people bind to that because it gives them hope that there is a better thing than just this plain old miserable life. It's a way to cope, a way to deal. However, I'm forced to think that if there were no concept of God than people would strive harder to make their lives better. A belief in God says "Don't uprise, God will be there when you die." A belief in God says "You don't have to make things better for yourself, God will do that." In the end, it seems to me like far too many people throughout history have sat around waiting for God to do something and he never did it. What a waste!

I think there's a lot more to African Americans being Christians or believers than just the history of America but I think this is where you'll find the largest cultural impact of Christianity on African Americans.
Your analogy is good, however, explain the rich people and why they are not atheist. Or are we to believe there are no rich black people out there in this world, that believe in God?

Old 04-15-2014, 05:43 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Great to see this thread still going after 6 yearsModerator cut: delete and that it has not been closed down like so many others.

Beliciano, I am also from the Caribbean (U.S Virgin Islands, St. Kitts and also Nevis) so you know I can relate.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-15-2014 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: shh shh some things are left unspoken

Old 04-19-2014, 02:53 PM

181 posts, read 218,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven View Post
It is certainly amazing to me how great of a stranglehold the Christian faith has on black people, most notably. It is so great that I am almost sure many of us who are black barely know 3 black people within our circle of family and/or friends who are avowed atheists or agnostics.

Thoughts.
As President Barack Obama once said, the Christian religion is very important to the African American community, because the church is the place of community and social reform, and thus, he is proud to be a member of a Christian church.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:39 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,905,546 times
Quote:
This is an EXCELLENT QUESTION. I too have often wondered the same thing. And quite frankly, am convinced that the black race has been hoodwinked by Christianity and I believe If black people would open their eyes and see the true history of Christianity they would run away from it. Blacks simply refuse to belive to accept that Christianity was a European invention that the black race was indoctrinated and forced into from the day black people arrived in the United States. In my opinion, Christianity has done absolutely nothing for Black people. Just take a look at the inner cities...there is a Church on almost every single street corner (and this is no exageration) and it seems like almost every other person on the street is either a Preacher, Deacon or Evangelist. All these Churches, all this Jesus, while crime runs rampant in the community. Christianity has done nothing for black people, but kept them in the gutter.
Actually, you're wrong & sadly mistaken. Judaism, Christianity, & even Islam have longer & extremely ancient roots in & on the African continent/landmass long before contact with Europe/Europeans. These religions were all part of African continent & culture for centuries before they ever reached Europe or spread to Europe.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Errrmmmm... I'm kind of hesitant to touch on this subject because I think it raises some issues.

I think if you look at American history, it's no secret that slavery is a horrible part of our past. However, it's even sadder (and to me it's quite typical) that Christian slaveowners (or "Masters") taught their slaves the Bible. What's even sadder is that many of these slaveowners fed verses of the Bible that promoted (or failed to condemn) slavery in order to keep their slaves "in check". Keep in mind that any sort of formal education was completely unallowed for slaves in those days so any interpretation of the Bible was done by the "Master". It's no surprise to me, that even 140 years after the abolishment of slavery, that people still stick to their roots in regards to their beliefs. It's just passed down from generation to generation. No one questions it. No one bothers to ask. It's just accepted. I think with the typical Caucasian settlers you won't find much difference. Although they weren't 'slaves', their respective homes in Europe were all or mostly rife with religious fervor. Irish and Italian Catholics, English Protestants, etc.. etc.. all form a part of this country. Not much has REALLY changed except that people are speaking out and against religion a little more than was ever socially or legally allowed.

Anyway, anytime you have groups of people that have it really, really 'tough' such as the slaves of the 1500-1800's, the following inhumane equality that African Americans had in the early 20th century, or any other 'tough' time you'll find that religion becomes a little more deeply rooted. I think it's one of man's ways of coping with the unfairness of life. It doesn't mean it's true, it's just a way to deal with the bad things in life. "Life got you down? God is there." "Are you being treated unequally? God is there!" "Sad about the death of a loved one? God is there!" I think that many people bind to that because it gives them hope that there is a better thing than just this plain old miserable life. It's a way to cope, a way to deal. However, I'm forced to think that if there were no concept of God than people would strive harder to make their lives better. A belief in God says "Don't uprise, God will be there when you die." A belief in God says "You don't have to make things better for yourself, God will do that." In the end, it seems to me like far too many people throughout history have sat around waiting for God to do something and he never did it. What a waste!

I think there's a lot more to African Americans being Christians or believers than just the history of America but I think this is where you'll find the largest cultural impact of Christianity on African Americans.
Many Africans that arrived as slaves, travelers, traders to the New World had actually been devout practicing Muslims, Christians, & Jews etc already. All of the Abrahamic faith religions have deep ancient roots in Africa, long before they had ever reached Europe.

Also it's what people do w/ religion that characterizes contexts & aspects, not the religion inherently all by itself alone.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Perhaps we should look at this also:

"Jews also took an active part in the Dutch colonial slave trade; indeed, the bylaws of the Recife and Mauricia congregations (1648) included an imposta (Jewish tax) of five soldos for each Negro slave a Brazilian Jew purchased from the West Indies Company. Slave auctions were postponed if they fell on a Jewish holiday. In Curacao in the seventeenth century, as well as in the British colonies of Barbados and Jamaica in the eighteenth century, Jewish merchants played a major role in the slave trade. In fact, in all the American colonies, whether French (Martinique), British, or Dutch, Jewish merchants frequently dominated."

"This was no less true on the North American mainland, where during the eighteenth century Jews participated in the 'triangular trade' that brought slaves from Africa to the West Indies and there exchanged them for molasses, which in turn was taken to New England and converted into rum for sale in Africa."

"Slave trading was a major feature of Jewish economic life in Surinam which as a major stopping-off point in the triangular trade."

"The Jews were the recipients of favorable charters containing generous economic privileges granted by the Dutch West Indies Company in Amsterdam. The economic life of the Jewish community of Curacao revolved around ownership of sugar plantations and marketing of sugar, the importing of manufactured goods, and a heavy involvement in the slave trade, within a decade of their arrival, Jews owned 80 percent of the Curacao plantations."

Jewish Involvement In Black Slave Trade To The Americas

"The New World location where the Jews played the largest role in the slave-trade was in the Caribbean and Suriname, most notably in possessions of Holland, that were serviced by the Dutch West India Company. The slave trade was one of the most important occupations of Jews living in Suriname and the Caribbean. The Jews of Suriname were the largest slave-holders in the region.

The only places where Jews came close to dominating the New World plantation systems were CuraƧao and Suriname. Slave auctions in the Dutch colonies were postponed if they fell on a Jewish holiday. Jewish merchants in the Dutch colonies acted as middlemen, buying slaves from the Dutch West India Company, and reselling them to plantation owners. The majority of buyers at slave auctions in the Brazil and the Dutch colonies were Jews.

Jews played a "major role" in the slave trade in Barbados and Jamaica.
Jewish plantation owners in Suriname helped to suppress several slave revolts in the period 1690 to 1722.

Jewish views on slavery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-16-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
It all depends on how people utilize religion or what people do with religion! If people use religion wrong or use religion to do wrong, then it will yield negative results. It's all about how you use religion. It can uplift you just as much as it can bring you down or do nothing for you. It's all about how you use it or how one uses it!

Old 08-16-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Old 08-18-2014, 09:57 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Not sure if this has been covered already but a lot of people in California think that the reason Gay marriage was voted down in 2009 on the CA ballot was because so many Blacks came out to vote for Obama and yet so many Blacks are Catholic and therefore against Gay marriage.

I personally don't know any Black Atheists, but honestly, i'm not in touch w a lot of (Black) people in general nowadays since working from home. I do know at least 3 Atheist Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism