Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 12:51 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, there was a lot of turmoil within the organization she founded because of her strong personality, but she didn't deserve to die the way she did.
I don't believe she deserved it, either. She wasn't murdered for her beliefs.

A theory surfaced after her disappearance that she had died and her family secretly buried her to keep people from praying for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 01:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
I was a kid when all that was going on. I lived in a very conservative community and people hated her. I was too young to really understand it. I heard a lot of "You can't pray in schools." so I thought something would happen if I did. I remember silently praying before a particularly big test and, when I wasn't sent to the principal's office, realizing neither the SCOTUS nor MMO had power over me. Probably my first public foray into civil disobedience and push-back against authority.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-01-2015 at 01:48 PM..

Old 04-01-2015, 01:56 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post

A theory surfaced after her disappearance that she had died and her family secretly buried her to keep people from praying for her.
Dumb theory. She was murdered over money.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:28 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Probably a corruption. More likely she was secretly buried (or cremated) to keep people from vandalizing her grave.

A secret burial wouldn't prevent anyone from praying for her.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:56 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
I remember her from when I was a kid. I was a member of the baptist church at the time, which had more than enough hateful people, and here was this woman who openly espoused atheism, and spewed hatred like no one else. Because I as isolated from associating with known atheists, as though anyone else in Texas would have admitted atheism, I came to assume that all atheists were brash, loud and hateful, like her. She certainly gave atheism a bad name.

However, her challenge to the supreme court to keep school endorsed prayers out of the school was a necessity. Public School and church must be separate. If a person wishes to pay to go to a catholic school, or a chartered religious school, that is different. I remember when we had this one substitute teacher, an old lady in the public schools who said "Let's have a word of prayer kids before we start our day." That activity needs to be in check.

As for her demise, her rudeness and brashness led a disgruntled former employee to murder her. She "went missing" and yet no one in the police force, or public in general seemed to care. It was the work of two reporters who investigated everything from phone records to pawn tickets and storage locker receipts who determined that a former employee, who had been terminated from the O'hair foundation, acted alone. He claimed that he had gotten tired of her abuse , he abducted her, her son and daughter, extorted some $600 000 before finally strangling her and her family, then burying their bodies in a field.

Here is the best article so far

The Most Hated Woman In America : Madalyn Murray O’Hair | Disappeared | Investigation Discovery

Old 04-01-2015, 06:50 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Probably a corruption. More likely she was secretly buried (or cremated) to keep people from vandalizing her grave.

A secret burial wouldn't prevent anyone from praying for her.
Her ultimate burial was kept quiet and low-key, in part because of vandalism concerns. Her son saw to that - he was present, and a very few other people.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Because I as isolated from associating with known atheists, as though anyone else in Texas would have admitted atheism, I came to assume that all atheists were brash, loud and hateful, like her. She certainly gave atheism a bad name.
That was my experience as well. I had a stereotype, negative image of atheists because of her. That stopped when someone I was good friends with in high school told me she was an atheist. Really? Wow. (Jaw drops at the thought of knowing an actual atheist.) You sure? (Yes.) OK. Wanna go get some taquitos?

Old 04-01-2015, 08:34 PM

428 posts, read 643,807 times
I remember the nuns nearly spitting when her name came up, she made them that angry.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:58 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:

A theory surfaced after Darwin's death that he recanted and regretted that he'd ever perpetrated the theory of evolution. That was a pure invention, to.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:01 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
I could have wished that she, as the founder of A/A, had been nicer, but, like the founder of the British Navy and its part on a not insignificant history, and the founder of Parliament and its not inconsiderable influence, you have to take them, warts and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism