Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 11:51 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yes, I'm angry. I'm angry that children worldwide are being indoctrinated with toxic religious beliefs. No, not all religious beliefs are necessarily harmful, but many are. And there's really nothing I can do to stop it. So yes, I am angry.

Anyone else feel the same way? How should I cope?
Yes you are, Freak, so much so that even the less obtrusive of us with faith have become your enemy. Personally, I began to look at folks I was taught were my enemies---atheists and agnostics---to "logically" find areas I really agreed with them on, and build in my own mind the importance of the agreements as opposed to the differences.

I wish I could do that with fundamentalists because we probably agree in many areas. But all of them are hung up on those areas where we have differences and ignore the areas where we have much in common--and that often angers me. They too are angry. But that is THE primary characteristic of fundamentalism. In that respect, as one of their prime characteristics, you are probably more like them than I am.

Because you and I appear to have no common areas, that is why I decline in engaging you in debate.

Kudos to you for recognizing the problem. Introspection is one of my primary beliefs (as well as empathy), and perhaps we DO have that in common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 03:38 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Yes you are, Freak, so much so that even the less obtrusive of us with faith have become your enemy. Personally, I began to look at folks I was taught were my enemies---atheists and agnostics---to "logically" find areas I really agreed with them on, and build in my own mind the importance of the agreements as opposed to the differences.

I wish I could do that with fundamentalists because we probably agree in many areas. But all of them are hung up on those areas where we have differences and ignore the areas where we have much in common--and that often angers me. They too are angry. But that is THE primary characteristic of fundamentalism. In that respect, as one of their prime characteristics, you are probably more like them than I am.

Because you and I appear to have no common areas, that is why I decline in engaging you in debate.

Kudos to you for recognizing the problem. Introspection is one of my primary beliefs (as well as empathy), and perhaps we DO have that in common.
I don't debate meatballs until they know they are meatballs.
Then we can talk.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm angry. I'm angry that children worldwide are being indoctrinated with toxic religious beliefs. No, not all religious beliefs are necessarily harmful, but many are. And there's really nothing I can do to stop it. So yes, I am angry.

Cope by doing good.

Your parents did a number on you Freak. You can't change the past. You can't change what people believe. You CAN change how you react to it. Use the anger and channel it into something positive. Take religion out of the equation and I'd guess your parents would have found something else to go overboard on. The people who become extremists have personalities that lend to it.

Volunteer as a mentor, a coach, a teacher. There are a TON of kids with parents who fail them and raise kids who become angry adults. Find a way to help those kids.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:20 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Then we can talk.
Freak is no meatball. He's a man who has been hurt by religion and chose a different way to handle it than some of us. On the other hand, perhaps you are thinking of me. If so, that moves me up from what some have called me--- right here on CD, too. thanks!

Old 05-03-2015, 11:14 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Then we can talk.
Your hubris is annoying . . . besides being completely undeserved.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your hubris is annoying . . . besides being completely undeserved.
I think you may have misunderstood where Arach was coming from.

I think he was referring to the adage about a wise man is one who knows he knows nothing. And he includes himself in that category.

In other words, I think he was somewhat cheekily saying he'll only debate those who, like himself, realize they're meatballs.

Or something.

It's late. The moon is lovely, both in the sky and reflecting in the water. And the tree frogs are singing their hearts out.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think he was referring to the adage about a wise man is one who knows he knows nothing. And he includes himself in that category.
In other words, I think he was somewhat cheekily saying he'll only debate those who, like himself, realize they're meatballs.
Or something.
It's late. The moon is lovely, both in the sky and reflecting in the water. And the tree frogs are singing their hearts out.
Ah . . . must be my Senioritis, then. Thanks, Trout. It sounds absolutely lovely there. I have seen the pictures and am very jealous.

Old 05-04-2015, 07:30 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Or something.

yup, that's it exactly. If we are honest about ourselves then we can begin to describe things around us a little better. If we can define our point in a field we then can begin to describe the field in more detail. Knowing full well that we don't know it all.

Mystic: The meatball thing was just having fun with a serious topic. My bad, I can't make it clearer in forums. I mean even typing the word makes me laugh "meatball", it's a funny word, besides, screw the massager, he's a jerk. but list in your words what he said. I did it to you, trout, arg, mort and many other ya know. Cause I aint the only hubristic one here. I list the facts that people say. Then agree or disagree with them solely on those facts. I aint to intrested in what they think they are until they prove it.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Ah . . . must be my Senioritis, then. Thanks, Trout. It sounds absolutely lovely there. I have seen the pictures and am very jealous.
Quote:
yup, that's it exactly. If we are honest about ourselves then we can begin to describe things around us a little better. If we can define our point in a field we then can begin to describe the field in more detail. Knowing full well that we don't know it all.
Mystic: The meatball thing was just having fun with a serious topic. My bad, I can't make it clearer in forums. I mean even typing the word makes me laugh "meatball", it's a funny word, besides, screw the massager, he's a jerk. but list in your words what he said. I did it to you, trout, arg, mort and many other ya know. Cause I aint the only hubristic one here. I list the facts that people say. Then agree or disagree with them solely on those facts. I aint to intrested in what they think they are until they prove it.
My bad, Arach. I get it now. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:05 PM

756 posts, read 833,778 times
Angry Me Too:

Quote:

If people aren't having children to get on welfare, they are having children to brain wash them, usually for religious purposes. This increases the church population.

Atheism is increasing, and it will continue to increase. Unfortunately, they will always be battling religion. The hatred that religion spreads will not go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism