Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 07:57 AM

335 posts, read 407,104 times

Advertisements

Seems like he acts very morally uprights. He married a beautiful smart girl (doctor) and he conducts himself well. And he is kind and giving and professional. I just don't see how this is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 08:15 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
I'm glad you think he has "moral uprights" but people's ethics and character will vary independently from their ideology. There are despicably evil theists and admirably ethical atheists. In addition a morally upright believer and a morally upright unbeliever may well have different motivations for their uprightness. A believer will tend to be good because if they're not good, god will punish them; an unbeliever will tend to be good because they want to be good. Goodness is, in some ways, its own reward. On the other hand back when I was a believer I was primarily motivated by the latter anyway, suggesting that whatever goodness I had / have never had anything to do with by theism.

It is said the good people will be good in theism despite their beliefs ;-)

I'll leave you to judge which motivation is the nobler of the two.

As for the Zuck, I think he's just another guy (who happens to be rich as Croseus) who is doing his best. I think he is handling wealth and fame relatively well. Last I knew he still drives an ordinary car and lives relatively simply (though he has bought up properties surrounding his own for security reasons). Good for him. It's admirable when people conduct themselves with integrity. I wish people would pay attention to that rather than to ideology. It's not admirable in and of itself to be, say, a Christian, or an atheist. Pay attention to what people DO, not what they SAY or claim to BELIEVE or FOLLOW.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:17 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
Seems like he acts very morally uprights. He married a beautiful smart girl (doctor) and he conducts himself well. And he is kind and giving and professional. I just don't see how this is possible.
If you think that only religious people can be good people - you need to get out of the house more.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:18 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,018,154 times
Are you coming here to try and mess with nonbelievers or are you actually serious? Even a senile squirrel knows that religion doesn't have a monopoly on morality.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:21 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
If you think that only religious people can be good people - you need to get out of the house more.
I'm always baffled at the rationale behind these types of threads when they're posted in the A&A forum.

So clearly the op has a predisposed position that atheists must be immoral people. So why would you ask immoral people such a question? Would you expect immoral people to acknowledge their terribleness and chat about their problems staying "right with god" or something?

Or conversely....what would the expected response be to such a prejudiced and loaded question? "Yeah I'm not sure he could be an atheist either....I haven't seen him at the baby-eating festival, at least recently."

Makes me wonder how some people remember to breathe sometimes.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:41 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
...what would the expected response be to such a prejudiced and loaded question? "Yeah I'm not sure he could be an atheist either....I haven't seen him at the baby-eating festival, at least recently."
Yeah I know. It was easy to see it was either a lame attempt at trolling or a spectacularly naive belief about the nature of (un)belief and the human condition. I figure though that for every person who wanders in here to actually post some of their random misconceptions like that, there's 10 or 20 more who might actually get some food for thought from a decent, reasoned response. I tend to me naive that way. But what can you do in the face of rampant stereotyping -- just try to surprise the occasional person out of their simplistic narrative about unbelievers.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:43 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,305,472 times
Me thinks the OP is trolling, as his post is completely unrelated to religious belief. A theist believes in god, an atheist doesn't. A theist can be kind and generous or a selfish arsehole. An atheist can be kind and generous or a selfish arsehole. Therefore, Zuckerberg could be either.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:50 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropper111 View Post
... I just don't see how this is possible.
Then you're more blind than I am.

Old 12-13-2015, 01:06 PM

335 posts, read 407,104 times
some of the responses here are, in nutshell, very rude.

Which is to be expected. Which is why exactly I asked the question...thx for the 1 or 2 good answers

Old 12-13-2015, 01:29 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,560,540 times
How about don't know, don't care and don't see how it makes any difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism