Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 09:49 PM

189 posts, read 176,531 times

Advertisements

"Atheists, agnostics and those who do not affiliate with religion will make up a smaller percentage of the world's total population by 2050 — even though the group is growing in the U.S. and Europe. The decline is primarily because those who are unaffiliated religiously have low fertility rates, with women bearing an average of 1.7 children in their lifetime."
- Pew Study Predicts Islam's Growth Spurt Will Make It The World's Dominant Religion by Century's End : Goats and Soda : NPR

We need to step it up, people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 10:02 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
During my life I have regularly seen the call for a 'Breeding race'. That is not the answer. Education is the answer.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anika783 View Post

... <snip> ... We need to step it up, people!
Why?

Old 12-25-2015, 11:39 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
That doesn't really make sense. Belief in a deity isn't completely dependent on the beliefs of one's parents---otherwise I'd still be a Christian. Your parents can be Muslim or Christian or any other religion and you may still turn out to be an atheist, and vice versa

Old 12-26-2015, 12:00 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
That doesn't really make sense. Belief in a deity isn't completely dependent on the beliefs of one's parents---otherwise I'd still be a Christian. Your parents can be Muslim or Christian or any other religion and you may still turn out to be an atheist, and vice versa
No kidding. If atheists were produced only by atheist parents, there'd be a lot fewer of us.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:09 AM

865 posts, read 1,077,298 times
It's because non-religious people see child rearing in more rational and pragmatic terms. Religious people simply see it as a 'wonderful gift from God'. Non religious people are also probably more likely to perceive that there isn't necessarily anything meaningful (or even desirable) about existence, although outright anti-natalism seems to be rare.

I don't see the trend ever being reversed, but hopefully the religious people who raise the next generation of children will be more liberal and will permit their children to think critically about religion.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:43 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anika783 View Post
"Atheists, agnostics and those who do not affiliate with religion will make up a smaller percentage of the world's total population by 2050 — even though the group is growing in the U.S. and Europe. The decline is primarily because those who are unaffiliated religiously have low fertility rates, with women bearing an average of 1.7 children in their lifetime."
- Pew Study Predicts Islam's Growth Spurt Will Make It The World's Dominant Religion by Century's End : Goats and Soda : NPR

We need to step it up, people!
Step up what, overpopulate the world even more? Or is it bring a child into the world anyway even when one would rather not for the sake of increasing numbers?
There is no guarantee the child will grow up atheist or agnostic anyway.

I don't and won't put anyone through this. It's the main reason why I never wanted children...

Old 12-26-2015, 06:24 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
I think we are stepping it up just fine ... stepping up the education of others about the fallacies and dangers of theism. These projections are linear and do not take into account that atheism is growing differently than theism ... theism depends largely on compromising the minds of infants, atheism depends on not doing that. It's my belief that a tipping point will soon be reached (if it hasn't already) by which increasing numbers of unbelievers cause the stranglehold of theistic ideation in society to collapse.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:21 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
First, atheism isn't projected to decline in absolute terms, just as a percentage of overall population.

Secondly, the report assumes that religion is like race, genetically passed on by birth. In fact, religious affiliation is mutable and people change affiliations when they are able.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:58 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
A lot of atheists don't abandon religious institutions just because they don't believe. Many still attend church. They still donate to their churches or other religious institutions. Tolerance of non-belief may increase but it doesn't necessarily equate to atheism becoming a large movement with resources to rival Christianity or Islam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism