Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2016, 01:22 PM

1,333 posts, read 883,664 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I was just sitting back and thinking for a moment, what would be the best way to start a religion?
The idea I was tossing around with a friend was starting the National Drag Racing Church. I can imagine several benefits of being recognized as a religion.
We could call drag racing our ritualistic mode of worship thereby making racestrips a house of worship and qualifying for tax exemption.

Or what about creating a church centered around drugs. For instance, a church in Mexico is able to legally use DMT because it is a religious act.

So how far could this be taken?
Is there laws in place to define a religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 02:07 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Google Scientology

Old 11-11-2016, 02:33 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
I've been thinking the same thing lately.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:38 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
To define a religion, look here: Religion | Define Religion at Dictionary.com

... a set of beliefs, cause & purpose of the Universe, some Supreme Being, devotion and rituals, a moral code of conduct, and often a holy book.

I think you also want to know what the IRS recognized as a religion. You could look here: https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-pr...urches-defined
Quote:
Certain characteristics are generally attributed to churches. These attributes of a church have been developed by the IRS and by court decisions. They include:
  • Distinct legal existence
  • Recognized creed and form of worship
  • Definite and distinct ecclesiastical government
  • Formal code of doctrine and discipline
  • Distinct religious history
  • Membership not associated with any other church or denomination
  • Organization of ordained ministers
  • Ordained ministers selected after completing prescribed courses of study
  • Literature of its own
  • Established places of worship
  • Regular congregations
  • Regular religious services
  • Sunday schools for the religious instruction of the young
  • Schools for the preparation of its members
The IRS generally uses a combination of these characteristics, together with other facts and circumstances, to determine whether an organization is considered a church for federal tax purposes.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:00 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Google Scientology
lmao.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:02 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Hello Everyone,

I was just sitting back and thinking for a moment, what would be the best way to start a religion?
The idea I was tossing around with a friend was starting the National Drag Racing Church. I can imagine several benefits of being recognized as a religion.
We could call drag racing our ritualistic mode of worship thereby making racestrips a house of worship and qualifying for tax exemption.

Or what about creating a church centered around drugs. For instance, a church in Mexico is able to legally use DMT because it is a religious act.

So how far could this be taken?
Is there laws in place to define a religion?
how far?

dude died, woke up, and flew away?
maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism