Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:03 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,418,446 times

Advertisements

Just curious. I know this is morbid and I believe when you are dead you are dust. But I just watched a movie the other night and 2 little girls were in a children's hospital each with a fatal disease. One came from a religious family and the other from one who didn't believe. The one who didn't believe was scared and of course the one who believed wasn't as scared of dying.

So what is your opinion as a person who doesn't believe? Do you think giving a child some false comfort would enter your mind? If not how would you help them not be scared?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 09:20 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times
It's difficult for me to conceive of a more terrible, heartbreaking situation.

I suppose it would depend on the child's age. If still quite young, I'd likely go with the "long sleep with happy dreams" analogy.

If older, it would depend on what I felt they needed to hear to bring comfort. I would plumb the depths of my being for the right words.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,771,723 times
That's a toughie. And I might even be tempted to Invent Lying, if I thought it would make the kid feel better. Though I'd hate myself for it.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:25 AM

It is a tough one. I can be harsh and real because I am an adult…but for a child who is dying. That is just a heartbreak.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:55 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,945,196 times
It will depend on the age of the child and what he or she already knows about death. Sometimes you can comfort them with the fact that they will be remembered and loved even if they are no longer alive. You can acknowledge that it is scary to think about not existing, but perhaps ask if they think that they will be the same way when they die that they were before they were born, if that makes sense. Another way to approach it is through the circle of life. Our bodies nourish the world when we die.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It will depend on the age of the child and what he or she already knows about death. Sometimes you can comfort them with the fact that they will be remembered and loved even if they are no longer alive. You can acknowledge that it is scary to think about not existing, but perhaps ask if they think that they will be the same way when they die that they were before they were born, if that makes sense. Another way to approach it is through the circle of life. Our bodies nourish the world when we die.

Ha, ha that reminds me of the skit about the circle of life on Last Man Standing when he was explaining death to his grandson….it did not go over well, lol.

It can also be like sleep. Sleeping doesn't hurt and isn't scary.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,945,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Ha, ha that reminds me of the skit about the circle of life on Last Man Standing when he was explaining death to his grandson….it did not go over well, lol.

It can also be like sleep. Sleeping doesn't hurt and isn't scary.
No, it's not like sleep - you cannot use that with a child because then they think that if they go to sleep they will die. Admittedly, with a child who is terminally ill, I suppose it would be different.

Old 02-22-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
No, it's not like sleep - you cannot use that with a child because then they think that if they go to sleep they will die. Admittedly, with a child who is terminally ill, I suppose it would be different.

Yeah terminally ill would break all the regular rules.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:12 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,075,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Just curious. I know this is morbid and I believe when you are dead you are dust. But I just watched a movie the other night and 2 little girls were in a children's hospital each with a fatal disease. One came from a religious family and the other from one who didn't believe. The one who didn't believe was scared and of course the one who believed wasn't as scared of dying.

So what is your opinion as a person who doesn't believe? Do you think giving a child some false comfort would enter your mind? If not how would you help them not be scared?
"God made you have this cancer though other's don't have to go through this pain, deal with it and never die peacefully! That would be suicide." http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...dy-claims.html

You watched a movie, a movie, there was your problem. The reality is the opposite, at least from what I've heard from one hospice worker. The religious are less willing to die and go less peacefully.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 02-22-2017 at 07:42 PM..

Old 02-22-2017, 06:21 PM

888 posts, read 455,008 times
Quote:
They might also think they could have bad dreams, which for a child can be a form of hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism