Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 05:20 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes. Even if the claim implied in the article Cardinal referenced was true, it wouldn't mean that the converts were right. At best it is ..well it isn't even working as a claim that atheism is losing, because even if the other old wrinklies were turning to God out of fear, loneliness or collapse of the brain -structure, the surveys seem to indicate that the slide to irreligion (if not atheism) amongst the younger is ongoing.

I doubt whether Cardinals even thought so far. It was just Something to use to swipe atheism with. But right away I recalled that the surveys didn't so much say that oldies were converting, but they were more and more the only believers left. And it is certainly a valid suggestion that, as the doubts and questions take decades to think through, especially as most doubters can't afford my consultation fees they come to a loss of faith at the same time they lose their hair.
Or worse, as a reaction to cog dis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 06:52 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
could it be when they are born? Fpr example, before sagan and after sagan

Old 01-30-2017, 05:12 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
could it be when they are born? Fpr example, before sagan and after sagan
It could be. Thinking back, it is remarkable how early on, kids were forcefed god -concepts. I can see why the battle for religious schooling is so important. As to 'after Sagan', if I get the idea that there is a pre skeptical period for kids and a post skeptical period for old 'uns, why?

If it's true. The trouble is that statistics are just statistics, and often just tell you what, but not how or why.

I'm thinking of seeing ..well no names, but some elderly public entertainers going religious. Is it because they are finally coming to an understanding that took their whole lives? I didn't get that impression. Is it because of their minds collapsing? No, it wasn't that, either. Was it fear of death? No, that didn't seem to be it, either. Was it because they needed Something at the end on their lives because the usual meanings and motivations had run out? Yes, that's the impression I got.

What I am left with as a repeated and insistent impression is that (given that both side are fighting a battle for hearts and minds) the conversion is based on an emotional case rather than an intellectual one, though it is massively presented as being based on reason and evidence.

Deconversion is rather based on reason and evidence, and massively evidence in the Bible and about doctrines. But Theism ignores this and claims that there are emotional reasons why people don't believe (they don't want to admit they might be judged) or cease to believe (they just want to sin).

The theist case is hugely based on false claims, and generally in order to avoid the real facts. And the facts don't seem to be that there is a pre sagan period before Skeptical Indoctrination and a Post Sagan period when the scales fall from their aged eyes and they see clearly that God is real.

Even if the claim was true that the oldies turn to religion, that ain't the reason.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:07 AM

125 posts, read 87,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I'm not offended by any of it, but Christians seem to be offended by the coexist symbol and the reality bites symbol. Why is that?
The offense is taken regarding the fish as it is somewhat of a sacred symbol to us. It has meaning in our history, it was a sort of secret handshake shared by two believers in a persecuted land. On the cars or wherever it is seen today it is a kind of wink and nudge between strangers in the same faith. So, to some, it is offensive to see it altered it in such a way. Where many of us er I believe is that we assume that on every car it it is meant as an insult.

The Coexist bumper sticker I cannot speak to others' offense however I do find it a bit odd that if you were to remove the warring adherents of the Religion of Peace from the equation we pretty much would be.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:49 AM

504 posts, read 300,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG2014 View Post
The offense is taken regarding the fish as it is somewhat of a sacred symbol to us. It has meaning in our history, it was a sort of secret handshake shared by two believers in a persecuted land. On the cars or wherever it is seen today it is a kind of wink and nudge between strangers in the same faith. So, to some, it is offensive to see it altered it in such a way. Where many of us er I believe is that we assume that on every car it it is meant as an insult.
Why should your 'sacred symbol' be more important than one, albeit similar, different, because it celebrates science? It celebrates reality. It celebrates where we really, really, REALLY! came from.

What makes you think that non-believers and members of other religions don't take offense to having the Jesus fish constantly on display? What makes you and your fellow believers such a special bunch of snowflakes that your perception is important, but no one else's is? You're free to display it, but don't be offended because your faith in a mythological entity is not shared.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:41 PM

125 posts, read 87,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
Why should your 'sacred symbol' be more important than one, albeit similar, different, because it celebrates science?
To you and many others it is clearly not more important nor should it be to you but you wanted to know why it is viewed as an offense. It is now up to you whether to respect another's symbol or not.

Quote:
It celebrates reality. It celebrates where we really, really, REALLY! came from.
Are the Atheists so dull that they cannot come up with their own symbol? How about an Amobea? Wait that is waaaaay too advanced from whence we came...how about a pond? Wait that is old news now too...how about a volcanic oceanic vent? Hmmm this IS more difficult than I thought. https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0202101245.htm

Quote:
What makes you think that non-believers and members of other religions don't take offense to having the Jesus fish constantly on display?
It is not a mockery of their symbol, why would they take offense? Most other religions recognize Jesus as a great teacher at minimum. They might take offense at the way some of us drive with that symbol on our cars. This is why I did not get a new one as I was setting Christianity back about 10 years and replaced it with a bumper sticker which said "I you don't like the way I drive, get off the sidewalk" Now if there are any Pagans left from around the time of the Church adopted the Christmas tree and Easter bunny then they should be offended.

Quote:
What makes you and your fellow believers such a special bunch of snowflakes that your perception is important, but no one else's is? You're free to display it, but don't be offended because your faith in a mythological entity is not shared.
Again you asked why are some so offended and I answered. Who knows, maybe it was not an Atheist at all who did the first Darwin fish, maybe it was an observant entrepreneur who saw all of these fish and brought his own version to market to fill the vacuum of need clamoring for Darwin fish. I am not offended that you and yours do not share such a belief but I think even your circles common decency calls for respect of the individual regardless of belief, does it not? After all, you DO represent the most advanced form of intelligence, right?

Old 02-16-2017, 03:13 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
I'm not offended by any of it, but Christians seem to be offended by the coexist symbol and the reality bites symbol. Why is that?
Tut-tut with the blanket accusations, now, nana053. I don't know any Christians who don't like the COEXIST symbol (I always think, "damn, wish I'd thought of that!"), and I laughed at the reality bites symbol. I like the Darwin one with the legs, too.

Just a reminder.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
People here often rip them off cars and I live in an area that is predominantly Christian.

Reality Bites says - the world is harsh. <snip>
Seriously? People really rip them off cars? Never heard of such a thing, ever.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Oh crap. Is that a dare? I can't turn down a dare. That's how I got pregnant.
Huh. And here I thought you were a guy!

Old 02-16-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I was almost tempted - but I amnt a Joolry person.
Now, now--no picking on the Jools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism