Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2017, 02:17 PM

92 posts, read 87,254 times

Advertisements

Due to current political situations you may be hear so much things about Turkey in these days. Unfortunately, politacally that country is worsening because Islamic ideas are dominating in that area.

But recent studies show that atheism is rising in the Turkey.

That website is belonged the one of the most famous atheist writer in the Turkey:

Atheists and free speech in Turkey
Atheism in Turkey
The first Atheist Association in Turkey is founded

A book which is called as a "Understanding Atheism" in the Turkish:
Book: "Ateizmi Anlamak" (Understanding Atheism)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 03:41 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Thank you. Maybe I'm impatient. It too twenty years before western atheism had any kinds of organized presence. It was a few writers and sites, but those sites wewre the Start. A focus for those who has formerly thought they were the only ones. But the thing about atheism is that out of a hundred fellow believers, you may be surprised to find several of the on the same site before you found out who they were!

Islam really needs atheism. Not to eradicate the religion, much less all those superb artworks, though we do with about 80% less mosques, but to remove it's influence from society, education and politics.

Turkey of course WAS the Islamic empire from the 15th c when Constantinople fell to the conquest of the middle east and Egypt. I will resist the temptation to post the Polish Husarya at Vienna...for a minute or two at any rate,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAKYICdbwA4

and then the Muslim Empire was rolled back by France in the Middle east and Britain in India. Ataturk of course was probably why the British assault at Gallipoili failed - without him it could have succeeded. But the fact is that during that war (WWI) the Turkish empire collapsed (cue film music) and was divided between Britain (Iraq and Palestine) and France (Syria and Lebanon). In any case, Ataturk rolled back Islam from society and politics. I won't make a big son and dance about how wonderful he was, but Turkey was part of a surprisingly modern and secular fertile Crescent from Egypt (dealing with Israel after the war) through various rulers and dictators who after all were no worse than the average S American president.

Turks know what they have, and what they stand to lose. It's the same in Egypt and Tunisia. The two things are key - the people and the army. Comunism fell in Europe because the army did not support the CCCP in the end. if the people could work with the armies, they could come out for a secular life in politics, but need the army as if the islamic political dominanance can use the army to put the dissenters down, it will.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:54 AM

Looks like I buggered another thread.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:09 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
I don't think you buggered anything, but if there is anyone at all like me, it is hard to know how to even respond to authoritarian repression in other countries when it's proceeding so rapidly in our own. It's very depressing, and, like in Turkey, it could go either way for freethinkers.

It is of course worse in Turkey. I was there a few years ago (let's see ... 2013, a few months after the Gezi Park / Taksim Square protests). I saw it as an impressive secular democracy in a majority Muslim country, but without enough checks and balances, its institutions steadily eroding in the face of an autocratic administration. We've been around longer, and have stronger institutions with an incompetent, term-limited autocrat, and particularly if Trump is a one-term president we may dodge this particular bullet, maybe even in some scenarios be the stronger for it. But it's dicey. I wish the Turks well, and I hope things turn out better for us both.

On a lighter note, since visiting there, I can't get the lyrics of the old song out of my head, "It's Istanbul, not Constantinople ... why did Constantinople get the works? It's nobody's business but the Turks!"

Old 09-11-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't think you buggered anything, but if there is anyone at all like me, it is hard to know how to even respond to authoritarian repression in other countries when it's proceeding so rapidly in our own. It's very depressing, and, like in Turkey, it could go either way for freethinkers.

It is of course worse in Turkey. I was there a few years ago (let's see ... 2013, a few months after the Gezi Park / Taksim Square protests). I saw it as an impressive secular democracy in a majority Muslim country, but without enough checks and balances, its institutions steadily eroding in the face of an autocratic administration. We've been around longer, and have stronger institutions with an incompetent, term-limited autocrat, and particularly if Trump is a one-term president we may dodge this particular bullet, maybe even in some scenarios be the stronger for it. But it's dicey. I wish the Turks well, and I hope things turn out better for us both.

On a lighter note, since visiting there, I can't get the lyrics of the old song out of my head, "It's Istanbul, not Constantinople ... why did Constantinople get the works? It's nobody's business but the Turks!"

Att. Earworm joke pack.

Ps. I was going to save this for later, but the answer is not the earworm clinic for an extraction, but the Earworm Exchange.

'Good morning, could I exchange "Monday, Monday" for the scherzo of Bruckner's 6th?'
Attached Thumbnails
Atheism in the Republic of Turkey-ear4.jpg   Atheism in the Republic of Turkey-ear03.jpg   Atheism in the Republic of Turkey-ear02.jpg   Atheism in the Republic of Turkey-ear01.jpg  

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-11-2017 at 09:33 AM..

Old 09-13-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Thank you. Maybe I'm impatient. It too twenty years before western atheism had any kinds of organized presence. It was a few writers and sites, but those sites wewre the Start. A focus for those who has formerly thought they were the only ones. But the thing about atheism is that out of a hundred fellow believers, you may be surprised to find several of the on the same site before you found out who they were!

Islam really needs atheism. Not to eradicate the religion, much less all those superb artworks, though we do with about 80% less mosques, but to remove it's influence from society, education and politics.

Turkey of course WAS the Islamic empire from the 15th c when Constantinople fell to the conquest of the middle east and Egypt. I will resist the temptation to post the Polish Husarya at Vienna...for a minute or two at any rate,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAKYICdbwA4

and then the Muslim Empire was rolled back by France in the Middle east and Britain in India. Ataturk of course was probably why the British assault at Gallipoili failed - without him it could have succeeded. But the fact is that during that war (WWI) the Turkish empire collapsed (cue film music) and was divided between Britain (Iraq and Palestine) and France (Syria and Lebanon). In any case, Ataturk rolled back Islam from society and politics. I won't make a big son and dance about how wonderful he was, but Turkey was part of a surprisingly modern and secular fertile Crescent from Egypt (dealing with Israel after the war) through various rulers and dictators who after all were no worse than the average S American president.

Turks know what they have, and what they stand to lose. It's the same in Egypt and Tunisia. The two things are key - the people and the army. Comunism fell in Europe because the army did not support the CCCP in the end. if the people could work with the armies, they could come out for a secular life in politics, but need the army as if the islamic political dominanance can use the army to put the dissenters down, it will.
Thank you for sharing with us your important views about history of Turkey, sir. Maybe you might think I'm really pessimistic but all I can say to you is, those Anatolian society never liked secular principles.

They still hate secularism, modernity, freedom or even science. These things don't mean anything for them because ignorance leading them since 1950s.

Ataturk and its party tried to educate them but after death of Ataturk (1938) they've failed.. That ignorance has revived with that Democratic Party (in 1950) which is its principles completely based on Islam and anti-republic ideology.. Since then Anatolian society have been living with ignorance.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

Thank you for your precious comment sir.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares386 View Post
Thank you for sharing with us your important views about history of Turkey, sir. Maybe you might think I'm really pessimistic but all I can say to you is, those Anatolian society never liked secular principles.

They still hate secularism, modernity, freedom or even science. These things don't mean anything for them because ignorance leading them since 1950s.

Ataturk and its party tried to educate them but after death of Ataturk (1938) they've failed.. That ignorance has revived with that Democratic Party (in 1950) which is its principles completely based on Islam and anti-republic ideology.. Since then Anatolian society have been living with ignorance.
Thanks for your input. I hope it isn't as bad as that, but I don't know Turkey at all (other than the airline) so I'm in no position to judge.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:44 PM

12,273 posts, read 2,968,089 times
People need freedom from religions every bit as much as of religion.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:33 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares386 View Post
Due to current political situations you may be hear so much things about Turkey in these days. Unfortunately, politacally that country is worsening because Islamic ideas are dominating in that area.

But recent studies show that atheism is rising in the Turkey.

That website is belonged the one of the most famous atheist writer in the Turkey:

Atheists and free speech in Turkey
Atheism in Turkey
The first Atheist Association in Turkey is founded

A book which is called as a "Understanding Atheism" in the Turkish:
Book: "Ateizmi Anlamak" (Understanding Atheism)
You're obviously Turkish and I say - gobble, gobble. Ooooh am I going to be on the news?! pfttt

o wait - your name is "WhoCares"? Nevermind now I'm scared
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism