Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 08:25 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiago12 View Post
Listen to me (dear) Rafius.... I think you are not a member of Hawking'S family... what the **** do you know about Stephen's last will ?
Ditto.

Quote:
For me it is obvious you don't accept fact and reality...
You haven't given any fact. Again (fourth time) I CHALLENGE YOU TO PRODUCE ANYTHING FROM THE FAMILY THAT MENTIONS A 'CHRISTIAN' FUNERAL. LET'S SEE IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 08:34 AM

283 posts, read 172,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ditto.

You haven't given any fact. Again (fourth time) I CHALLENGE YOU TO PRODUCE ANYTHING FROM THE FAMILY THAT MENTIONS A 'CHRISTIAN' FUNERAL. LET'S SEE IT!

I think you need glasses..

THIS IS A CHRISTIAN FUNERAL... OF STEPHEN HAWKING...

Old 05-11-2018, 08:34 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
You have no idea of what a Christian's funeral in the Church is and what a Anglican Mass during funeral cerimony is

"Sacraments ordained of Christ our Lord in the Gospel" ( Anglican Church )

Baptism

Eucharist (or Communion, Mass, or the Lord's Supper

BS. I was a Catholic for many years. I served at dozens of funerals. You don't know what you're talking about.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
BS. I was a Catholic for many years. I served at dozens of funerals. You don't know what you're talking about.

You don't know who my cousin is...

Old 05-11-2018, 08:38 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
One thing is certain - this thread generated a lot of interest. with nothing much going on it was all getting a bit dull....

I'm having a look at some sites and articles. I have few doubts myself that he was an agnostic atheist as I am nyself, and he died as one, and the Christian burial preceding internment in Cambridge next to Newton as a mark of respect as a as a great physicist rather than as a great theist, rather as Darwin, as i recall, was buried in Westminster Abbey after a funeral that i doubt not, had a lot of Religious trappings.

Anyway, I'll give some linkies as browsing, cutting pasting and arguing source material.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ope/445380002/

And this from a Catholic source, being honest and all credit to them.

https://www.ncronline.org/news/peopl...tephen-hawking

Just one more and I think this is enough

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progres...ed-conversion/

It's the old story - if you can't convert an atheist while he's alive, claim he converted after he's dead and can't deny it.

We are very, very, familiar with what we call "Liars for Jesus". We see also an associated for of life: "uncritical swallowers of lies for Jesus".

But I have also seem signs of a kind of Christian who does not lie and accepts the fact that Hawking lives and did not believing in any gods, and they accept that, do not resent it and gave him a funeral that at least had some Religious elements.

and finally....

"The ashes of Professor Stephen Hawking will be interred at Westminster Abbey near the graves of Sir Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin, it has been announced."

The Cambridge ceremony was a private affair it seems.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-11-2018 at 09:10 AM..

Old 05-11-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I think you need glasses..
Already have some thanks. Can you tell us what is being said at the ceremony?? Let me help you....

The ceremony included space-themed music composed specially for Hawking called “Beyond the Night Sky,†inspired by a poem and quotes from “A Brief History of Time†and whistling and “shh†sounds based on recordings of space.
https://nypost.com/2018/03/31/stephe...t-funeral/Does that sound like a 'Christian' ceremony to you?

Quote:
THIS IS A CHRISTIAN FUNERAL... OF STEPHEN HAWKING...
No it isn't it is a picture of a funeral inside a religious building. It is for you to provide the verifiable evidence that it is a CHRISTIAN service....and you can't can you? Four times I have asked you and still...NOTHING!

We still we await ANYTHING from the family to say that it was a 'Christian' ceremony

Old 05-11-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
You don't know who my cousin is...
Jimi Hendrix?

Old 05-11-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
One thing is certain - this thread generated a lot of interest. with nothing much going on it was all getting a bit dull....

I'm having a look at some sites and articles. I have few doubts myself that he was an agnostic atheist as I am nyself, and he died as one, and the Christian burial preceding internment in Cambridge next to Newton as a mark of respect as a as a great physicist rather than as a great theist, rather as Darwin, as i recall, was buried in Westminster Abbey after a funeral that i doubt not, had a lot of Religious trappings.

Anyway, I'll give some linkies as browsing, cutting pasting and arguing source material.

Already given it my dear old toe-rag. He ignored and continued with his misinformation.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

And this from a Catholic source, being honest and all credit to them.

https://www.ncronline.org/news/peopl...tephen-hawking

Do you read the link you provide ?

11.28.2016Pope Francis greets British theoretical physicist and cosmologist Stephen Hawking, during an audience with participants attending a plenary session of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences at the Vatican Nov. 28. (CNS /L'Osservatore Romano, handout)

The photograph itself was not doctored, Snopes ruled. But the pontiff and the physicist met at the Vatican in November 2016 for a scheduled meeting of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, of which Hawking was a longtime and valued member. The academy has no belief requirements for members.

Stephen Hawking Death : 3/14/2018...

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-12-2018 at 04:43 AM.. Reason: Read the rules. Don't use red text.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:05 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Darwin had a very strong connection to the church before he de-converted, so I doubt that he would have minded having a church funeral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism