Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2018, 11:17 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,883,507 times

Advertisements

Transponder, I don't understand why you are asking me these questions all of a sudden. I can't make myself any more clear than I have. It's hard to have a meaningful discussion about something that no side really knows much about. It will always be unknown and unresolved. I don't intend to debate something that is so unknown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 03:44 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,708,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I only recently learned that we atheists have cards, we also have labels?

Could you provide us with some examples from this forum of what you mean by someone accepting an idea because it "comes with an atheist label?" Since there are "lots" it should not be difficult for you to locate them.
There is a spectrum of people who are shedding their superstitious beliefs. When they have been immersed in the supernatural through childhood, it's hard for people to come to an understanding that it is not necessary to "believe" anything. They couch atheism in religious terms because that is all they have ever known.

That's an example of something that comes with an atheist label. It's not the real thing, but at least they are trying, and will probably get there eventually. Those people need encouragement, not condemnation because they are a little confused. It's a long step from being sunk in superstition to realizing that "belief" is a roadblock to understanding.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:57 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,708,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Since science is in the Reality explaining business, they are automatically in the God explaining business. As they get deeper and deeper into the source of our reality and its functioning, they will inevitably encounter the fact that our science is simply not up to the task of explaining it all. There is no way to incorporate subjective experience into the sterile mathematics of physics.
Why would you stick science with explaining something that doesn't exist? Science ends where mystical mumbo jumbo starts. Science is not in the business of explanations. It's in the business of predictive models.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:15 AM

16,809 posts, read 5,009,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
My point is that it's the general feeling of this place. All the atheists seem to support each other because of their common belief system.
Or because we agree with the argument made.

You seem to ignore when we disagree with each other.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:47 AM

And if the atheists here really think they are "winning" arguments just because they happen to agree with each other, well that's just as crazy as the craziest religious fundamentalist. Both extremes are really out of touch.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
First, if you're so uncomfortable here, why stay? I was on one forum about atheism, and I didn't like it. So I left.

Second, you constantly go around in the same circles. You're a frequent poster, and the posts always have a lot in common.
I've already explained that my thread was moved here. You don't have to participate.

It's hard to take anything from the atheists here seriously. You are all extremists just like the religious fundies. You are just a different type of fundy.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Or because we agree with the argument made.

You seem to ignore when we disagree with each other.
It's the fact that you are so wrong on one issue you agree with. You are extremist fundies.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:27 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,610,700 times
Quote:
And if the atheists here really think they are "winning" arguments just because they happen to agree with each other, well that's just as crazy as the craziest religious fundamentalist. Both extremes are really out of touch.
It’s hilarious that you don’t know YOU are a crazy religious fundie.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:19 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,771,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Since science is in the Reality explaining business, they are automatically in the God explaining business. As they get deeper and deeper into the source of our reality and its functioning, they will inevitably encounter the fact that our science is simply not up to the task of explaining it all. There is no way to incorporate subjective experience into the sterile mathematics of physics.
Wrong. You know at least that science is explaining more and more that was once Unknown and therefore a handy gap for God. Or in your case "God" (intelligent nature). You cannot know whether or not science can ever explain it all or at least explain it enough that ascribing feelings that you get in your head to "God" is simply not tenable. You cannot correctly assert that science can never assert subjective experience into biological explanations of how the mind works.

You know, from the discussion I had with Gaylenwoof that 'subjectivity' is not so much something we can't explain, but something we can't escape -our own bodies and minds. That doesn't matter. What matters is the methods used to eliminate imperfect human perception and understanding of the way the world works.

You have already accepted that the Bible is wrong about the way the world works. You sneer at the Bible s much as you do at materialism. You are wrong about the gospels, though you try to dress up the execution of a nuisance and troublemaker by the Romans as a lesson in love by this intelligent nature of yours. Being denialist about evidence is one thing. Being deluded into making plonking faith -claims as though they were fact is another, but trying to bamboozle people by using sneeringly deprecatory terms like 'sterile mathematics' flags up your huge bias and the intellectual dishonesty that your brand of Faith in the god in your head had imposed on a fine mind and a decent person.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:20 AM

16,809 posts, read 5,009,453 times
Quote:
It's the fact that you are so wrong on one issue you agree with. You are extremist fundies.
I am neither extreme in my views or a fundamentalist.

But has you have constantly had problems understanding what atheists and agnostics are, your confusion about other words does not surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism