Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 01:36 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

From having a son who went up through Scouts to Eagle (which he didn't do for his own reasons) I have to state that the "religious" aspects were nonexistent, at least in his troop, which was sponsored by the American Legion post.

If your son wants to do Cubs, let him. He may like it. Or not. The things they do should outweigh any concerns you might have. People don't have their kids do Scouts for religion.

As a note, my Troop was sponsored by a church some would consider evangelical (this was in the 1960s when religion played a much larger role in society) and religion wasn't pushed even back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 01:48 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
My question for the OP is whether her son recites the Pledge of Allegiance, which has an equivalent mention of god as in the Boy Scout pledge, at school. Of course the difference there is that by law a student can't be required by a school to say the Pledge, but the BSA being a private organization can impose any requirements they like. They could require that the Scouts have to stand on one foot and hop six paces sideways before doing a given activity, if they wanted to.

If your son recites the Pledge without thinking about the "under God" component of it, perhaps he'd regard the Boy Scout pledge the same way, i.e., not in a religious context?

It's a tough call either way re: your son's reaction to a refusal to let him join. Do you think you could get away with convincing him to wait until next year (first grade) and see if he still wants to do it? He may just be reacting to the event at school and/or to the fact that some of his friends are saying they want to join.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
OP, who is a "he", wishes his son had never been introduced to the Boy Scouts. Then he wouldn't have to say "no". See the thread in the parenting forum.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:58 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
OP, who is a "he", wishes his son had never been introduced to the Boy Scouts. Then he wouldn't have to say "no". See the thread in the parenting forum.
That is correct.

I appreciate the other responses but this topic isn't about whether my son should join the Cub Scouts. We've made up our minds and he will not be joining. I am inquiring as to if other parents would contact the principal over their concerns about the BSA recruiting in the classroom.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:12 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
I think it is OK To contact the principal and let him/her know that BSA is not tolerant of all beliefs, and therefore perhaps should not be recruiting during class time.

However, I also think it is Ok to allow your son to participate while explaining that some people have supernatural beliefs, while others do not. Your son will most certainly be learning this at some point.

My SO was an Eagle scout, and did not grow up to be a theist.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:14 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,639,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
BSA...Baptist Scouts Association?
Boy Scouts of America.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:19 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
That is correct.

I appreciate the other responses but this topic isn't about whether my son should join the Cub Scouts. We've made up our minds and he will not be joining. I am inquiring as to if other parents would contact the principal over their concerns about the BSA recruiting in the classroom.
Wait until the school has them selling wrapping paper or Joe Corbi pizza. You'll long for the days when Cubs were recruiting.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:42 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Quote:
That is correct.

Sorry for both the gender mislabeling and the topic-jump; my bad, on both.

As for contacting the principal, I myself would not because it'd probably be a waste of time and energy. However, my viewpoint may be colored by the fact that I have a family member who is a teacher and regularly expresses her opinion of "parents who try to overreach into administrative matters." Her view, which I tend to agree with, is that if a parent objects to an administrative policy or decision, the best way is for the parent to run for the school board in the next election cycle and try to change things at the source.

One or even a few sets of parents objecting to an administrative decision is unlikely to change anything in my part of the country (very blue state where teachers unions etc are extremely strong) unless there is credible fear of a lawsuit therefrom. So I would be the pragmatist if in your situation and in picking my battles would pass on this one.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:47 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
I'm not saying it is necessarily a constitutional issue and that they have to be kept from recruiting during school hours. By that same token, nothing says the school has to allow them to recruit. I would imagine it is up to the principal or superintendent's discretion if they want to tell them no to recruiting in school. My question is whether I should raise the issue.
This was decided in a court case in Michigan

https://ffrf.org/outreach/item/13085...uts-of-america

Quote:
The circuit court originally found that the May 4, 1999, BSA school hour recruiting visit violated Petitioners' rights under the U.S. Constitution First Amendment Establishment Clause, but later held that there is no remedy for the wrong.
So, it's unconstitutional, but apparently up to the school and school board.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:02 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Sorry for both the gender mislabeling and the topic-jump; my bad, on both.

As for contacting the principal, I myself would not because it'd probably be a waste of time and energy. However, my viewpoint may be colored by the fact that I have a family member who is a teacher and regularly expresses her opinion of "parents who try to overreach into administrative matters." Her view, which I tend to agree with, is that if a parent objects to an administrative policy or decision, the best way is for the parent to run for the school board in the next election cycle and try to change things at the source.

One or even a few sets of parents objecting to an administrative decision is unlikely to change anything in my part of the country (very blue state where teachers unions etc are extremely strong) unless there is credible fear of a lawsuit therefrom. So I would be the pragmatist if in your situation and in picking my battles would pass on this one.
Is it really overreaching? She can always say no. I’m not threatening to sue or anything. I really don’t think they realize this is an organization that can alienate some families and they may never realize if no one points it out.

Truthfully I am leaning towards emailing but have not decided 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism