Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2018, 10:37 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It makes more sense than your ideal which sounds like God just making robots.

Maybe the suffering which is experienced in life will be made up for in the afterlife, at which time every question will be answered and everything will finally be clear. Doesn't that make sense?
Yes it makes sense for a creator to provide some with an immense amount of suffering and others to sail through life with an abundance of healtu, wealth and happiness. Not sure how a small child dying from malnutrition will understand everything upon their dealth.

Also why would a God create people so flawed that first he would have to wipe out all but 8 of them and later need to send his son to tell them they are all sinners now and his son would die and return to heaven to redeem them for the sins he put into them before they even took a breath of air..

Of course we have no evidence for a God making either flawed humans nor robots. In fact the only robots made as far as we know have been man made. And you only are speaking about the Christian God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 10:43 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Brilliant observations. Just brilliant. Atheists are just SO insightful on this subject that I'm always amazed.
So if someone says something about Christians you tell them that not all Christians are alike but you freely call out all atheists out for what you think one atheist might of said,

Old 11-01-2018, 10:48 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
So if someone says something about Christians you tell them that not all Christians are alike but you freely call out all atheists out for what you think one atheist might of said,

I always take it as a backhanded compliment when theists sneer at us sarcastically for thinking we are so smart. It really means they know we are smart, and they hate it.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:35 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Yes it makes sense for a creator to provide some with an immense amount of suffering and others to sail through life with an abundance of healtu, wealth and happiness. Not sure how a small child dying from malnutrition will understand everything upon their dealth.

Also why would a God create people so flawed that first he would have to wipe out all but 8 of them and later need to send his son to tell them they are all sinners now and his son would die and return to heaven to redeem them for the sins he put into them before they even took a breath of air..

Of course we have no evidence for a God making either flawed humans nor robots. In fact the only robots made as far as we know have been man made. And you only are speaking about the Christian God.
How do you explain suffering without a creator?

Old 11-01-2018, 11:43 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Apparently you don't understand that the stories and the commands in them were written by people, not God. And personally, I don't choose to worship those people. People were more barbaric back then, as I'm sure you would have been, but I doubt that your realize that since so much seems to pass over your head. Are you really that ignorant? You seem so confused about this.

Does anyone want to ask a stupid question that I can answer for them?
The only problem, Ozzy, is that you're the one who said that people "worship a god who inspires his people to do destructive things". It was in a very early post of yours not long after you joined the forum.

Just as you also once said: "I belief that faith in an invisible and personal God is evidence of Neurosis". (And the mistake in the word belief was the way you wrote it).

Old 11-01-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What runaround? Hope this helps you. Here's a pure answer.

1. There will never be any proof of God when using the scientific method.
2. Christians take the Bible as fact because that is a personal choice.
3. We are not stupid, delusional, or irrational. Like any situation in life, we look at all sides and decide. We know all about science. I am so one who is very analytical. I know the evidence for and against. I've decided I don't need evidence according to the scientific METHOD. In this area of my life, I go off of what I've personally experienced

By the way, I support the science behind global warming

Donald...I mean charly gal...facts are not about personal choice. Facts are true. Period. Whether one likes certain facts or dislikes them, they're still facts. Personal choice may be part of faith, but not part of facts. And if you believe otherwise...that is delusion.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Why does it seem like no one is even reading my posts? You guys are just putting words into my mouth. And I have no idea how to respond.
So you're telling us that you have no idea how to respond, but you respond anyways. That's interesting logic.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:55 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
How do you explain suffering without a creator?
It is what we would expect in a universe without a moral giver.

Or a deity that is immoral.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:14 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
"Get 'em while they're young!"

You tell a child that something exists. You explain to them that the truth is in a certain book. You don't tell them alternative possibilities (especially ones that make sense) and you carefully refrain from showing them the parts of the book that range from insane to horrific (admittedly, quite a lot of said book).

By the time they're old enough to realize that there's more to that book that what you showed them, and that much of it doesn't make any coherent sense or jibe with, you know, demonstrable reality, it's an uphill battle because the seed of indoctrination has long since taken root.

Most people don't fight it. They're scared of what they've been told will happen to them if they question things - the all-loving-thing that they're supposed to follow will torture them eternally, they'll be alienated from friends and family, etc. - so they just go along. They try not to think about such things and/or practice willful cognitive dissonance.

Some overcome the obstacles but most won't because most don't want to do so. The indoctrinators know this.
I agree with this, but must nitpick your final sentence. Most indoctrinators were indoctrinated themselves, so I don't agree that they actually do know it.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:19 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Why does it seem like no one is even reading my posts? You guys are just putting words into my mouth. And I have no idea how to respond.
Well, why don't you take this opportunity to tell us exactly what you do believe so that we may evaluate only that and not anything else. You have informed us that you do not take the Bible literally, okay, but...

1. Do you believe in the divinity of Jesus?
2. Do you believe that the Old Testament Yahweh god was really god?
3. Do you believe in a heaven and/or hell?
4. If the Bible is not actually the sacred word of a god, why are you so obsessed with the moral lessons found there as opposed to moral lessons which could be found in other sources, like Aesop's fables?

Lay it out for us and include your reasoning so that we make no further mistakes. And don't worry, I have a lawyer's memory for details so I will definitely limit any arguments I have to the specific beliefs you outline for us.

Simultaneously, if we provide this respect for the specifics of your beliefs, would you not return the courtesy and cease all your posts where you reference atheists as a collective? I reference those "You atheists think..." or "..why do atheists always say that..." etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism