Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 04:07 AM

749 posts, read 483,030 times

Advertisements

I just don't get it. I can see how you're open minded though and have some hope. But why do people take the Bible as Fact? Where is the proof? I have asked this question many times. And I never get a pure answer. Instead I just get the run around. I don't like run arounds.

This is almost 2019... I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 04:15 AM

16,807 posts, read 5,005,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
I just don't get it. I can see how you're open minded though and have some hope. But why do people take the Bible as Fact? Where is the proof? I have asked this question many times. And I never get a pure answer. Instead I just get the run around. I don't like run arounds.

Teleology, the idea of purpose behind things is a part of why people are religious. The promise of a happy afterlife explains why Christianity is popular. The ability to delude oneself is why those who treat the bible as fact do so.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:39 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,609,857 times
Quote:

It truly feels like a twilight zone episode

Old 10-30-2018, 06:04 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,173,632 times
As a former Christian for decades I understand the resistance to hearing opposing opinions. Christians have been indoctrinated not to question their god. This makes it difficult to get them to question or rationally seek the truth about their religion. Most just sit in the pew not reading or doing any honest research for themselves.

My journey that led me to becoming atheist started by researching different doctrines. I questioned pretrib and eternal torment. During forum debates I was presented accusations that god sanctioned slavery, mass rape and genocide. The atheist provided scriptures that appeared to support his assertions. This led me to decide I needed to fully read the Bible in order to know the full context of these scriptures so that I could debunk his arguments. After reading the Bible to defend it, I found he was correct and the Bible could not be inspired by a higher righteous being.

It takes courage and honest diligent research to convert those who have been indoctrinated by religion. Converting a country away from becoming dumbed down by a religion has to occur prior to indoctrination. Individuals need to hear other opinions and evidence throughout their youth. This has been difficult in the past, but is becoming more possible with modern technology.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:07 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,487,885 times
Quote:

"Get 'em while they're young!"

You tell a child that something exists. You explain to them that the truth is in a certain book. You don't tell them alternative possibilities (especially ones that make sense) and you carefully refrain from showing them the parts of the book that range from insane to horrific (admittedly, quite a lot of said book).

By the time they're old enough to realize that there's more to that book that what you showed them, and that much of it doesn't make any coherent sense or jibe with, you know, demonstrable reality, it's an uphill battle because the seed of indoctrination has long since taken root.

Most people don't fight it. They're scared of what they've been told will happen to them if they question things - the all-loving-thing that they're supposed to follow will torture them eternally, they'll be alienated from friends and family, etc. - so they just go along. They try not to think about such things and/or practice willful cognitive dissonance.

Some overcome the obstacles but most won't because most don't want to do so. The indoctrinators know this.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:52 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,774,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
"Get 'em while they're young!"

You tell a child that something exists. You explain to them that the truth is in a certain book. You don't tell them alternative possibilities (especially ones that make sense) and you carefully refrain from showing them the parts of the book that range from insane to horrific (admittedly, quite a lot of said book).

By the time they're old enough to realize that there's more to that book that what you showed them, and that much of it doesn't make any coherent sense or jibe with, you know, demonstrable reality, it's an uphill battle because the seed of indoctrination has long since taken root.

Most people don't fight it. They're scared of what they've been told will happen to them if they question things - the all-loving-thing that they're supposed to follow will torture them eternally, they'll be alienated from friends and family, etc. - so they just go along. They try not to think about such things and/or practice willful cognitive dissonance.

Some overcome the obstacles but most won't because most don't want to do so. The indoctrinators know this.
The adult who was the kid has had her/his thinking processes so deranged that belief is more important than careful thinking. This makes her/him an easy target for manipulation, which all kinds of players find very handy indeed.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:42 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,154,081 times
Science has unraveled the mechanics of the universe, but not the "why" behind any of it. A pre-packaged explanation of the "why" which assures the believer of immortality is very attractive to those who do not wish to do a lot of thinking about the matter. It is also very attractive to those too stupid or ignorant to evaluate the possibilities for themselves.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:16 PM

63,880 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Science has unraveled the mechanics of the universe, but not the "why" behind any of it. A pre-packaged explanation of the "why" which assures the believer of immortality is very attractive to those who do not wish to do a lot of thinking about the matter. It is also very attractive to those too stupid or ignorant to evaluate the possibilities for themselves.
It is also very attractive to those extremely intelligent and truly knowledgeable enough to evaluate the possibilities for themselves and KNOW it is true.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:37 PM

999 posts, read 554,730 times
I don't take the bible as fact. I base my spiritual beliefs around my relationship with God. Don't get me wrong, I read the Bible. It has a lot of good advice for life. But why worry about trying to interpret a book when you can just go straight to the source and talk to God about it?

Old 10-30-2018, 03:17 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,764,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is also very attractive to those extremely intelligent and truly knowledgeable enough to evaluate the possibilities for themselves and KNOW it is true.
Time for the Theist to English dictionary "It is welcome confirmation of the bias of the easily deluded who are willing to adapt and fiddle knowledge to fit what they want to believe". No charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism