Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 01:03 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,342 times

Advertisements

As I write this, I'm watching my father sleep. He's losing his battle with cancer and the doctor doesn't think he'll make it to New Years.

Both my father and I are nonbelievers-Ive considered myself to be both and atheist and agnostic through the years.

I'm the type who will argue up and down that I cant believe in an afterlife because it doesn't seem scientifically feasible. But at this very sad time, I desperately want to think that when my dad finally goes, he'll go somewhere great where his consciousness will live forever. I realize that what I want isnt necessarily what is.

For the other non believers out there, how do you cope with death? What can I say to him to calm his fears? I need something now because I hate to think that this great man will be lost forever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 01:11 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
I'm so sorry.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:23 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
If you don't believe in an afterlife how would 0retending that one exists make it so? My wife and
I occasionally joke about what our pets are doing in heaven but that is just a way of remembering them and trying to see how d9gs and cats that never knew each 9ther would get along.

I never think of my dad being in an afterlife nor both of my wife's parents either. They are dead, the are remembered by their children and grandchildren and by friends and neighbours. Only the memories are still alive.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:30 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
As a Buddhist, I don't believe in the christian version of afterlife...and am very much up in the air about the Buddhist version. How do I cope with it at the ripe old age of 69...a shrug of the shoulders. I don't know...nobody knows. Guess it will be a new adventure...or nothing.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:30 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,910,626 times
I'm so sorry, too. At my age I've lost a lot of people. I don't think you have to be doctrinaire, not that you would be, but just let them believe whatever they want. The main thing is just to let them know you love them, if you do.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:31 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
If you don't believe in an afterlife how would 0retending that one exists make it so? My wife and
I occasionally joke about what our pets are doing in heaven but that is just a way of remembering them and trying to see how d9gs and cats that never knew each 9ther would get along.

I never think of my dad being in an afterlife nor both of my wife's parents either. They are dead, the are remembered by their children and grandchildren and by friends and neighbours. Only the memories are still alive.
For what it's worth, I believe there is a Heaven. If I am wrong, I'll never know it, but if I'm right, I'll live forever. It's a win-win situation for me. Good luck to Ya'll.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:44 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,910,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As a Buddhist, I don't believe in the christian version of afterlife...and am very much up in the air about the Buddhist version. How do I cope with it at the ripe old age of 69...a shrug of the shoulders. I don't know...nobody knows. Guess it will be a new adventure...or nothing.
While I'm suspicious of traditional religion's views on this, it is marginally possible that there are alternate planes of existence. I think in the Christian bible there's this "pillars of light" idea. That would mean that within every life form there's a kernel of something that's essentially immortal. And that it is bent on learning. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Everyone feels this, but whether we feel this as a self-protective mechanism or it's just actually true, I'm not prepared to say.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:47 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
For what it's worth, I believe there is a Heaven. If I am wrong, I'll never know it, but if I'm right, I'll live forever. It's a win-win situation for me. Good luck to Ya'll.
Maybe not the best time to ply the very flawed Pascal Wager..

Old 12-24-2018, 01:49 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,333,872 times
You said you needed something now. You might like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RGizqsLumo

Old 12-24-2018, 01:59 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
If there is an after life then there is. I don't believe there is and we may never ever know. Relax, and when it;s time we all go.

Like some said, if there is, we can have more fun and misery, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism