Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2019, 10:07 PM

8,668 posts, read 3,871,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Oh you said people online, not friend. They are buying into the prejudice as well if that's their reason.
I think the anger (and ‘interrogation’ of other atheists) repeatedly demonstrated in the forum reinforces those stereotypes with ease. At the very least, it certainly doesn’t help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 12:28 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Damn' ...how many times have we heard 'I have talked to many atheists who agree with me..." by atheist -bashing theists?

I don't know which side this guy is really on, but I know who he is working against.

Then we are no different. If you can do it better - show us.

If you were what you claim to be, you would have been doing so a dozen posts ago. Instead you prefer to stoke up a quarrel here. Well, you don't get it. This post was only an appeal to you to start acting the atheist you claim you are. It's the last to you.
Do you believe me about the wolf in sheep's clothing now?

Well my dear old scrot, it's clear that he has no better way, or even 'another' way, so I guess the best and only plan is for atheism to continue on in the provably successful way that it has been doing for the last decade.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:57 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

Well my dear old scrot, it's clear that he has no better way, or even 'another' way, so I guess the best and only plan is for atheism to continue on in the provably successful way that it has been doing for the last decade.
I really don't know. But he's still not engaging (politely) with theists in order to make his point as I'd expect any atheist to do with a point to make. He prefers to keep this bloody wrangle going. And doesn't Mystic love it?

Old 03-18-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

The better way is to stop arguing with (and ‘gossiping’ about) other atheists in the thread. The better way is being able to express one’s opinions (and logic) while at the same time, encourage independent thinking in other people. The better way is to bring other atheists (or people who may identify as agnostic) into the conversation - not by a lengthy interrogation process as part of a ‘mob’ mentality, or to throw around childish insults. The better way is learning how to communicate effectively online (not out of anger). The better way is to stop proselytizing our disbelief as if we are the first ones to think of the ‘logic’ (and do so, repeatedly, day after day). The better way is to progress atheism - not personal egos. The better way is to stop proselytizing our disbelief - it comes across as self righteous (and annoying), no matter who does it. Atheists don’t believe in gods, but most of us are not anti-theistic - and most do not have personal anger issues toward religion. So the better way is to lose the anger - and think logically, rather than out of pain.

You may think atheism has been ‘successful’ - and maybe to some degree it has, but personally I feel the numbers should be even larger than they are. (Many people don’t want to identify with the anger or anti-theism; and based on what is portrayed in this forum, who would blame them). The better way is increasing our positive presence so we may be taken seriously as a significant (not hostile) part of the mainstream - by what we do, what we say, and how we respect independent thinking in other people - even if we disagree (online and in life).

If people respect a person at work or in their community, they will respect their atheism. Most people do not respect displays of anger, mockery, and anti-theism - and then, of course, they don’t respect their atheism, either. Unfortunately, as a group, we all take the hit for it.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 03-18-2019 at 02:39 PM..

Old 03-18-2019, 04:58 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Despite what I said I will reply to this. I get what you say, and I think you are sincere. It isn't (as I have said before) the first time the point has been made. It's worth keeping in mind.

The argument that we would do better if we were more conciliatory makes sense, but I have reasons to doubt that; in many cases - it doesn't work. I am happy to be respectful to a respectful theist poster, but others are far from respectful. a Soft answer just encourages more abuse.

I suggest that you try putting your views to a Christian or two and get a feel for it. If you can keep the discussion polite, be sure that I shall take note.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:01 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I think the anger (and ‘interrogation’ of other atheists) repeatedly demonstrated in the forum reinforces those stereotypes with ease. At the very least, it certainly doesn’t help.
Are you sure you're not reacting out of stereotypes? I'm a woo loving atheist and I've never butted heads with these guys.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:14 PM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The better way is to stop arguing with (and ‘gossiping’ about) other atheists in the thread. ...
You can set the example.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:19 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Taxing the Church would be a great start.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:16 PM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Taxing the Church would be a great start.
I agree with that completely! Their truly charitable activities outside their own congregation should remain tax free.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Despite what I said I will reply to this. I get what you say, and I think you are sincere. It isn't (as I have said before) the first time the point has been made. It's worth keeping in mind.

The argument that we would do better if we were more conciliatory makes sense, but I have reasons to doubt that; in many cases - it doesn't work. I am happy to be respectful to a respectful theist poster, but others are far from respectful. a Soft answer just encourages more abuse.

I suggest that you try putting your views to a Christian or two and get a feel for it. If you can keep the discussion polite, be sure that I shall take note.
It’s not a matter of being conciliatory or ‘polite’, it’s a matter of not being emotionally (and time) invested in whether a person believes in God/gods or not. Most atheists are not anti-theistic, at least in my experiences outside of this forum. That said, I’ll continue to promote atheism (and express opinions) in my way - and you continue to do what you do; because we obviously don’t agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism