Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 09:32 AM

749 posts, read 580,691 times

Advertisements

I have never understood this holiday.

Your messiah dies, painfully and that's "Good"?
No one knows what day, actually.

Your messiah goes to Heaven, and that's supposed to be good?
If he is the son of God, where else would he go?
No doubt, historical Jesus (assuming he really existed) wanted to live, and
wouldn't he be shocked to know that the world celebrates when he went to
Heaven?

Originally, it was a pagan holiday, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 09:52 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
I doubt that anyone here (other than a Theist visitor) will disagree with you.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:06 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
I have never understood this holiday.

Your messiah dies, painfully and that's "Good"?
No one knows what day, actually.

Your messiah goes to Heaven, and that's supposed to be good?
If he is the son of God, where else would he go?
No doubt, historical Jesus (assuming he really existed) wanted to live, and
wouldn't he be shocked to know that the world celebrates when he went to
Heaven?

Originally, it was a pagan holiday, of course.
You are correct. It is very easy to pick apart the irrational mythology of any religion. But, that has nothing to do with the existence or non existence of God. Go on!

Old 04-20-2019, 10:59 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You are correct. It is very easy to pick apart the irrational mythology of any religion. But, that has nothing to do with the existence or non existence of God. Go on!
Correction - one may pick apart the credibility of any religion, including Christianity, but that 'has nothing to do' (as you put it) with the existence of any god, or gods. Picking apart the credibility of Christianity is Everything to do with the existence of God - i.e - the specific god of the Bible.

Arguing about some kind of god - cosmic orderer, creator or whatever, is only going to lead to the the 'which god?' question. The stock reply: 'There's only One god' is not only invalid (there could be many), but merely restates the question 'which god is the one god?'

Old 04-20-2019, 11:05 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Correction - one may pick apart the credibility of any religion, including Christianity, but that 'has nothing to do' (as you put it) with the existence of any god, or gods. Picking apart the credibility of Christianity is Everything to do with the existence of God - i.e - the specific god of the Bible.

Arguing about some kind of god - cosmic orderer, creator or whatever, is only going to lead to the the 'which god?' question. The stock reply: 'There's only One god' is not only invalid (there could be many), but merely restates the question 'which god is the one god?'
Newbie atheists love to put down the incoherent writings of people that lived over 3000 years ago. You realize that there was no science at that time. These primitive barbarians were just trying to explain the world. So yes, it is easy to destroy those ancient writings. Meanwhile you probably miss the good bits that are true even today. This is typical for a level I newbie atheist.

BY, the way I have no idea about God or whatever you call it. All I know is that we are here and have no idea of how we got here.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:10 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times
Henry Miller, the excellent early 20th century writer of "dirty books" said something amusing about this:
Quote:
“I could put up with heartbreaks and abortions and busted romances, but I had to have something under my belt to carry on, and I wanted something nourishing, something appetizing. I felt exactly like Jesus Christ would have felt if he had been taken down from the cross and not permitted to die in the flesh. I am sure that the shock of crucifixion would have been so great that he would have suffered a complete amnesia as regards humanity. I am certain that after his wounds had healed he wouldn't have given a damn about the tribulations of mankind but would have fallen with the greatest relish upon a fresh cup of coffee and a slice of toast, assuming he could have had it.”
― Henry Miller, Tropic of Capricorn

See:
https://www.goodreads.com/work/quote...pricorn?page=2
Miller's funny, I don't care what you say. And by today's standards, not that dirty.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:21 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Close. It has nothing to do with the existence or non existence of a god. It does make the idea of the Christians god less credible.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:23 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Newbie atheists love to put down the incoherent writings of people that lived over 3000 years ago. You realize that there was no science at that time. These primitive barbarians were just trying to explain the world. So yes, it is easy to destroy those ancient writings. Meanwhile you probably miss the good bits that are true even today. This is typical for a level I newbie atheist.

BY, the way I have no idea about God or whatever you call it. All I know is that we are here and have no idea of how we got here.
Except we are not newbies, so I ask myself why you made that point?

Old 04-20-2019, 11:30 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Eh, you must not have been raised in a religious home. Every little kid who gets dragged to church on Good Friday asks this question.

It goes back to the more archaic meaning of "Good" as in "Holy".

Old 04-20-2019, 12:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:

It was not that there was NO science at the time, but that the science knew less about the world.

Think about this 2000 year old computer.
https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...-google-doodle

The ancient greeks developed some of our mathematics. The ancient Egyptians had some notion of chemistry and both cultures were interested in astronomy. Babylonians kept a complete list of eclipses and had calculated the courses of the planets and the orbits of the sun and moon by 700 BCE.

Greek scientific spirit had a more secular approach and was able to replace the notion of supernatural explanation with the concept of a universe that is governed by laws of nature.

The Chinese had a science of their own which was not really influenced by the priests or religion which had very little power. The Mayans had there own science as well although it was pretty involved with their religious beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism