Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 10:49 AM

12,375 posts, read 2,975,713 times

Advertisements

FWIW I was raised religious and as a child naturally believed what I'd been told. I know from the inside looking out what it is like to believe through most of childhood into teen years. I looked back and could tell I had psyched myself out into believing things that are not so. I know that religious people do that but suspect many can't or don't want to admit it to themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 10:59 AM

16,804 posts, read 5,000,668 times
I was raised Greek orthodox, but stopped believing before I was a teenager.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I was raised Greek orthodox, but stopped believing before I was a teenager.
I did too but then tried to make it work for a few years until I was a teen. But the question isn't really about when did you stop believing bragging rights.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:15 AM

50,882 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
FWIW I was raised religious and as a child naturally believed what I'd been told. I know from the inside looking out what it is like to believe through most of childhood into teen years. I looked back and could tell I had psyched myself out into believing things that are not so. I know that religious people do that but suspect many can't or don't want to admit it to themselves.
Pretty much the same here.

I think the defining moment of doubt began for me when I began traveling internationally.

When I was in Thailand, almost everyone was Buddhist because that's how they were raised.
When I was in Malaysia, almost everyone was Muslim because that's how they were raised.
Or Hindu because that's how they were raised.
Or Buddhist because that's how they were raised.

It had nothing to do with truth. It had everything to do with who raised them.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:17 AM

16,804 posts, read 5,000,668 times
Quote:
I did too but then tried to make it work for a few years until I was a teen. But the question isn't really about when did you stop believing bragging rights.
Your power to read motive through the internet is amusing.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Your power to read motive through the internet is amusing.
Okay, but do you have anything on point to add?

Old 06-03-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Pretty much the same here.

I think the defining moment of doubt began for me when I began traveling internationally.

When I was in Thailand, almost everyone was Buddhist because that's how they were raised.
When I was in Malaysia, almost everyone was Muslim because that's how they were raised.
Or Hindu because that's how they were raised.
Or Buddhist because that's how they were raised.

It had nothing to do with truth. It had everything to do with who raised them.
Yes, an accident of geography.

I remember as a child instinctively knowing the whole died-for-your-sins idea was illogical but was too young to articulate the reasons why.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:43 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,058,855 times
Yes. I was devoutly RCC until I was 18 or 19. Believed the entire thing. Eventually the conflicts between faith claims and scientific evidence became too much for me to reconcile.

For me it wasn’t really about evolution vs creationism, or Noah’s flood. It had more to do with geology and other sciences making sense without a god, transubstantiation not making any sense at all, the religious fables sounded silly to my newly adult mind, and when I questioned it all, no religious priest or pastor was able to address my questions without ultimately reverting to ‘just have faith’.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:49 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,768,486 times
Quote:
Raised Missouri Synod Lutheran.

Noticed that OT stories were pretty much equivalent to other mythologies from around the world at about 12, and stopped believing in their literal truth.

Moved in stages to atheism.

Plenty of people here will tell you the their main impetus for moving to atheism was their strictly religious upbringing.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:01 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,645,593 times
I was raised in the Church of Christ and believed what I was taught without question, until...I'm not sure exactly when. I was in my 20s when I articulated in thought that the whole thing was a bunch of nonsense. But it wasn't a eureka moment; I don't know that I even had a eureka moment. It was merely the first time I had acknowledged even to myself that I no longer believed. I do know that the source of my first skeptical thoughts were Bible verses dripping with racism and misogyny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism