Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2019, 01:42 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,771,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes. Did you ever read 'Catch Me If You Can'?

Really? I live in the West and I've never seen or heard of it.
Nor have I. Ackajack seems to have picked up an accusation that Liberls are somehow excusing and overlooking the Trubble with Islam while cracking down on Christianity. We have all seen the scream of 'persecution of christianity' when One atheist TV show starts.

If I were into conspiracy Theories myself, I'd see a Rightwing religious movement here that sees islam as the 'Axis of Evil' "Enemy" and anything but bombing, banning and waterboarding them is 'Being soft' on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 07:23 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,086,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Nor have I. Ackajack seems to have picked up an accusation that Liberls are somehow excusing and overlooking the Trubble with Islam while cracking down on Christianity. We have all seen the scream of 'persecution of christianity' when One atheist TV show starts.

If I were into conspiracy Theories myself, I'd see a Rightwing religious movement here that sees islam as the 'Axis of Evil' "Enemy" and anything but bombing, banning and waterboarding them is 'Being soft' on them.
Accusing Liberals?

Conspiracy theories?

Right wing?

LOL!

In my country I actually vote for parties that are to the left (sometimes quite a bit) of the Democratic Party of the United States.

Last edited by Acajack; 07-04-2019 at 07:46 AM..

Old 07-04-2019, 07:33 AM

Seriously guys?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-ar...-targeted-gays

A bunch of you on here have stated you're gay, and you've been arguing with me in favour of allowing greater encroachment (under the guise of total religious freedom) for belief systems that aren't generally favourable to gays - and also women's rights.

This issue has been debated in my country for several years and I've been active on forums and again most gays who are politically engaged come out in favour of *certain* religious streams that are infamously homophobic.

But no, I don't think this it's a conspiracy theory. It's more an eagerness to "out-tolerate" the other guy, by demonstrating that you're soooooooo tolerant, that you can even tolerate the intolerant/intolerable.

Anyway, as I did before I will wish you guys good luck with all of that.

Continue to open the door a bit wider to religious extremism, and see where that leads you.

But don't worry, you'll (hopefully) always have the demographic and political power of straight guys like me to bring things back into line.

Even if it's (bizarrely) sometimes against your own will.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:42 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,356,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Seriously guys?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-ar...-targeted-gays

A bunch of you on here have stated you're gay, and you've been arguing with me in favour of allowing greater encroachment (under the guise of total religious freedom) for belief systems that aren't generally favourable to gays - and also women's rights.

This issue has been debated in my country for several years and I've been active on forums and again most gays who are politically engaged come out in favour of *certain* religious streams that are infamously homophobic.

But no, I don't think this it's a conspiracy theory. It's more an eagerness to "out-tolerate" the other guy, by demonstrating that you're soooooooo tolerant, that you can even tolerate the intolerant/intolerable.

Anyway, as I did before I will wish you guys good luck with all of that.

Continue to open the door a bit wider to religious extremism, and see where that leads you.

But don't worry, you'll (hopefully) always have the demographic and political power of straight guys like me to bring things back into line.

Even if it's (bizarrely) sometimes against your own will.
Great post!
In the USA and Europe saying something negative about Islam following a terrorist attack gets you the label of Islamophobe. Saying much worse things about Christianity is generally received with an ovation and applause.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:06 AM

On the issue of women's rights and religious freedoms...

Where I live, the largest feminist organization, equivalent to the National Organization for Women in the U.S. but on a much smaller scale of course, has basically torn itself apart over this issue.

After several years of handwringing, the group's leadership (what's left of it) has effectively aligned itself with various groups (most of them highly religious, some extremely so) that are in favour of totally opening the door to anything religious (regardless of stream) in our public institutions. Basically, among other things, they're cool with women working as cops, judges, public school teachers wearing full face coverings like burqas, niqabs, etc. They argued this during the parliamentary hearings on Quebec's Bill 21.

All in the name of progressive women's rights.

As a result they've lost about half of their leadership and most of their rank-and-file membership.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:15 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,356,208 times
Here is a video of two well known atheists Sam Harris and Bill Maher on the subject. Watch how Ben Affleck yells racism. It demonstrates the issue quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vln9D81eO60&t=118s

Old 07-04-2019, 08:50 AM

I hadn't ever heard Aflleck talk politics before. He wasn't that bad. Stuck to the Hollywood line that 90% of American celebrities adhere to, of course.

It's worth noting that both Maher and Harris (based on searches I just did) are generally affiliated with the Democratic side. Or at least they have been historically. Though there are shifts in political tectonic plates that are occurring, so we'll see how that goes in the near-future.

Obviously, like me and many others in the progressive left, they are a bit disillusioned by the direction that much of the movement has been taking...

Old 07-04-2019, 08:57 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,335,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Accusing Liberals?

Conspiracy theories?

Right wing?

LOL!

In my country I actually vote for parties that are to the left (sometimes quite a bit) of the Democratic Party of the United States.
Aren't all Canadian political parties to the left of the Democratic Party? Maybe not the Christian Heritage Party or the Canadian Nations Party but all the rest of them.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Aren't all Canadian political parties to the left of the Democratic Party? Maybe not the Christian Heritage Party or the Canadian Nations Party but all the rest of them.
Opinions vary, though I personally don't think that's true of the federal Conservatives (post-Mulroney anyway) nor of any of the provincial Conservative parties west of the Ottawa River. Not when you look at things pound-for-pound.

Conservative parties in the Maritimes have traditionally been pretty much Liberal Lite parties, though that may also be changing.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I see that Brian Pallister has denounced this new Quebec law. So at least one Premier however the Conservatives usually denounce in packs so I guess Ford and Kenny plus MOE from Saskatchewan have already or will soon follow. If Alberta passed a similar law, Muslim women could cover their hair under a cowboy hat. Banning cowboy hats would be a step too far. ��
No one in Quebec cares one whit what these people think. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism