Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is atheism to you?
My atheism is simply a lack of belief in God 39 84.78%
My atheism is more than simply a lack of belief in God. 7 15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 02:50 PM

884 posts, read 356,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the title asks "what is atheism to you"
but then proceeds to put words in their mouth by
(a) making it multiple choice
and (b) only having two options available
and (c) writing the answers to be what atheism is to YOU, not what is atheism to the people you are supposedly asking

that does not provide useful data. nor does it allow them to express "what is atheism to you."
it is pre-scripting and it is stuffing words in people's mouth.

the useful data is the responses people put in their individual posts in the free text field.
Given you weren't on the other thread telling off Mystic for putting words into atheists mouth, you'll have to excuse me if I ignore your biased hypocrisy.

I do accept I biased my poll though, once I wrote out my opinion in a subsequent post.

However people have been putting what atheism is to them in their own words in this thread.

Last edited by Peter600; 10-07-2021 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2021, 02:51 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,158,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter600 View Post
Oh I see. Have I got this correct - you think a God exists, but you have abandoned it. Is that correct? That is an interesting position I have rarely seen. And wouldn't fit either of my options in the poll, you are correct.
I want there to be a god and I have very intense feelings about this desire. But whether or not I believe, I do not say. It is not something that moves me emotionally so I don't have a belief one way or the other.

Old 10-07-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I want there to be a god and I have very intense feelings about this desire. But whether or not I believe, I do not say. It is not something that moves me emotionally so I don't have a belief one way or the other.
I see. And do you consider yourself an atheist?

Old 10-07-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I see. And do you consider yourself an atheist?
At some point, I didn't want to call myself an atheist. But after interacting with a few good listeners here, I concluded that is probably what I am. When I brought it up to my friends, they were like, duh.

Old 10-07-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
At some point, I didn't want to call myself an atheist. But after interacting with a few good listeners here, I concluded that is probably what I am. When I brought it up to my friends, they were like, duh.
Fair enough, thanks.

Old 10-07-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Fair enough, thanks.
You're welcome. Thank you for your interest.

Old 10-07-2021, 03:35 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
and (c) writing the answers to be what atheism is to YOU, not what is atheism to the people you are supposedly asking

that does not provide useful data. nor does it allow them to express "what is atheism to you."

the useful data is the responses people put in their individual posts in the free text field.
that is where people actually answer the question asked in the thread title: "What is atheism to you"
Polls are by their very nature (at least on City-Data) multiple choice.

Also, he is only expecting answers from atheists.

Old 10-07-2021, 06:01 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:

that is where people actually answer the question asked in the thread title: "What is atheism to you"
And we are doing that. That's what the comment section is for.

Old 10-07-2021, 07:05 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Honestly, I am not sure how to answer this question. I don’t believe in God. This lack of belief in God naturally entails other positions like privileging my sense, my reason, my experience, like valuing life on earth as opposed to supposedly eternal life in some fairy land. But I don’t see how one can be atheist without this lack of belief entailing a different perspective on life.

Why would someone not believe in God, but also not take (good) science seriously or care about the human condition?

It’s like the faith and works question in the Lutheran church. It’s only belief, not works, that get you into heaven (supposedly). But truly having faith necessarily entails good works.
An honest atheist!!

Old 10-07-2021, 07:11 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:

His wording, his explanatory remarks in the poll, and his efforts in this thread are what we call "priming the pump" to get the results he wants in the poll. It seems to be working as intended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism