Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 03:49 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
To the OP...Might look into the Jefferson Bible. I haven't read it but I understand it's about Jesus with all the supernatural and dogmatic trimmings removed.
Are Christians going to believe in Jefferson Bible without miracles? So this bible doesn't have Jesus in it? Interesting.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:32 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,220 times
Mmm, not exactly. I was responding to this statement basically:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I can believe in historical event that did happen, but not miracles that did not happen. I can see bible as a moral code but not because god said so, but simply because people who wrote the bible intend to establish peace and proper behavior on their own terms in the communities they lived in.
If this was only that simple, i would not reject the bible, but miracles kind of spoil it for me.
Wikipedia on Jefferson Bible...

"The Jefferson Bible...was Thomas Jefferson's effort to extract the doctrine of Jesus by removing sections of the New Testament containing supernatural aspects as well as perceived misinterpretations he believed had been added by the Four Evangelists."

So Jesus was in it, he just left out the supernatural aspect of it, as I understand it. I'm sure fundies don't read it every Sunday Faith and miracles are a center piece of Christian dogma. It would take a huge progression for them to step forward from that way of thinking. But if you were looking for something Biblical in nature without all the absolutist interpretation, this might be worth looking into.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:15 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,008 times
I see, thanks for explanation. I don't see myself being religious any time soon, however.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:40 PM

512 posts, read 712,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
What, you didn't know that it is possible for someone to decide to create a new god or two and worship them? God the creator of this universe has the power to cleanse our wicked hearts and give us a new life with a new, understanding mind. He alone can do this and give us joy and peace in the midst of physical and emotional pain, without fear.
So if anyone can just make up a religion why do people still believe in Christianity? Isn't it just as plausible that xtianity was also made up?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:45 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,934,099 times
Bible can be more believable if...

The pages were blank.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:17 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,818 times
To me the bible would be more believable if it wasn't so convenient for the Fred Phelps and Jerry Fallwell types...

Old 11-24-2008, 12:22 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,030,711 times
...if scientific evidence actually supported it.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:19 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,001,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
.. all the miracles were not there. Such as creation of Adam from the dust, talking snakes, healing of sick, walking on water, virgin birth, etc etc etc....

I can believe in a bible as a set of rules created by people of those days to establish law and order. I can believe in words of wisdom of 10 commandments. I can believe in historical event that did happen, but not miracles that did not happen. I can see bible as a moral code but not because god said so, but simply because people who wrote the bible intend to establish peace and proper behavior on their own terms in the communities they lived in.
If this was only that simple, i would not reject the bible, but miracles kind of spoil it for me.
I can believe that a God who can create an entire universe can do anything, include miracles, healing the sick and making Adam from dust.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:21 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,001,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
...if scientific evidence actually supported it.
Then it would be science, not Faith.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:23 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,030,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Then it would be science, not Faith.
If it were real science would support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism