Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 06:57 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times

Advertisements

In the bible all angels are listed as men or in a masculine gender or person. In western art, and my favorite Victoria Secret’s marketing programs I see only female angels.
My question is this another error in the bible, or do some Christian angels having a sexual identity problem which they correct by cross dressing?

Last edited by cncracer; 02-05-2009 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 07:36 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
I've always enjoyed trigonometry and geometry but thus far I have seen very little that correlates the difference between gender and, say, an isosceles triangle. I have, however, seen several cylinders that could be misconstrued as a phallic device but cylinders typically are measured more by radius, diameter, etc... rather than angles. So, I don't really know, you could be onto something though.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:44 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I've always enjoyed trigonometry and geometry but thus far I have seen very little that correlates the difference between gender and, say, an isosceles triangle. I have, however, seen several cylinders that could be misconstrued as a phallic device but cylinders typically are measured more by radius, diameter, etc... rather than angles. So, I don't really know, you could be onto something though.
LOL....I was going to say something, but didn't want to be accused of being the spelling police....So funny, especially the phallic device part....I suppose that would entirely depend on the angle of the dangle....

Old 02-05-2009, 08:12 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
LOL, that was a good riff.

As to the intent of the OP instead of the word. Angels are a Persian invention from the Zoroastrian root of the Levant religions. Since there is much sexism in the Levant theology, it isn't surprising that the main demigods which they call angels so they can have a single god, are all male. There is a lot of weirdness in the sexist bible as fundamentally feminine concepts are force fitted into the male dominated theology (like the milk from HIS breasts - how absurd!).

But the Pagan religions embraced both the male and female concepts in their theology and it resonated with most people much more than the Levant religions did. The feminization of angels was most likely the intrusion of Pagan goddesses that the general populace would not forsake despite the threats of death and torture. There was a gradual incorporation of these ancient concepts to rename them and reformulate them into the religion they wanted to force upon the populations.

And your VS models are just a marketing campaign. Sorry to disappoint you.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:17 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times
Thanks guys, I have got to start proofing these things.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:39 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
For sexual angles you should maybe read the Kama Sutra instead of the Bible (heh heh heh).

I was taught (brainwashed) by the Lutheran church to believe that angels were neither male nor female. And this is a very scary idea, actually. Giant flying, harp-playing morphadites (spelling on that word?)

Old 02-06-2009, 11:16 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
The angle I like best is either the Doggy Angle or the Cowgirl Angle. :P

But more seriously, my ultra-fundie mother excuses it by saying that angels are androgynous/asexual.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:19 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,874 times
Actually, Genesis 6 describes angels having offspring with women...so some of them must have been male and sexual. Werd to ya mutha.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:58 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
For sexual angles you should maybe read the Kama Sutra instead of the Bible (heh heh heh).

I was taught (brainwashed) by the Lutheran church to believe that angels were neither male nor female. And this is a very scary idea, actually. Giant flying, harp-playing morphadites (spelling on that word?)
The word is hermaphrodites.

And yes that is pretty weird, tho there are a few organisms that are. Maybe angels are a kind of worm?

Old 02-06-2009, 02:12 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
The word is hermaphrodites.

And yes that is pretty weird, tho there are a few organisms that are. Maybe angels are a kind of worm?
Well, considering that they're a fairy tale creature and not real in any sense, they could be anything you imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism