Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 01:14 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,536,914 times

Advertisements

LOL, Carlin made a good living criticising the church and religion. You think he would be paid to stand up there and throw flowers to religion? That was his schtick.

I also feel sad for those who think the Mass is silly in English. You are there to worship God. I personally do not think worship of the divine/God is silly.

No one is made to come to church so how can people be drones who go. Many drop out as you can see from this thread. Many left Jesus. One needs to be brave in today's world to stay religious and follow Jesus who told his followers they would be mocked and scorned---again as you can see from this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 05:16 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,778,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
LOL, Carlin made a good living criticising the church and religion. You think he would be paid to stand up there and throw flowers to religion? That was his schtick.
He could have made an even better one selling religion to the masses. But he couldn't buy it.

Quote:
I also feel sad for those who think the Mass is silly in English. You are there to worship God. I personally do not think worship of the divine/God is silly.
Which one?

Quote:
No one is made to come to church so how can people be drones who go.
Try being in a religious family and try to drop out. See whether anyone tries to make you 'go' or not.

Quote:
Many drop out as you can see from this thread. Many left Jesus. One needs to be brave in today's world to stay religious and follow Jesus who told his followers they would be mocked and scorned---again as you can see from this thread.
One needs to be brave to drop out, too. They can expect a hammering from the believers. None of that is what matters though; what matters is - what reason is there to believe?

Old 05-29-2010, 08:01 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,169,767 times
Around 12 when I first started noticing inconsistencies in christianity. (because I started reading passages) But I rationlized it by thinking "someone a long time ago, must have edited the bible and put that in".
Between 14 and 16, is when I started to accept that it was just a load of rubbish, though it took me a few more years to let go of the "higher power" belief.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
He could have made an even better one selling religion to the masses. But he couldn't buy it.

Who says he could make a better one? His sthtick was being cynical. He was cynical about politics as well as religion---kinda of a crabby guy persona.

Which one?

Anyone you chose. Just as long as you are not self focused---I think that would be a good thing. Keeps one from worshiping themselves and taking themselves too seriously.

Try being in a religious family and try to drop out. See whether anyone tries to make you 'go' or not.

You think we haven't dropped out and decided to come back on our own after learning we wanted to come back. Silly you.

One needs to be brave to drop out, too. They can expect a hammering from the believers. None of that is what matters though; what matters is - what reason is there to believe?
What reason is there not to believe? Everyone must make up their own mind. I can find millions of reasons to believe some find a million not to, it's and individual thing.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,209,307 times
janelle144: It seems that you champion religion (any religion) as a means of keeping oneself humble. It can't be because any of them are necessarily correct, as you suggest subscribing to any of them. Surely there are better ways to avoid being "self focused" (conceited) than picking a particular myth to believe in. After all, most of them are mutually exclusive.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:28 AM

So what is your God and what do you worship? We all have our God/Gods. If it isn't a religious God then it is a material one. Do you worship science and think they have all the answers?

Nothing made by man is infallible. I follow a faith because I believe Jesus is God and therefore infallible. I don't follow a man made relgiion, I follow a religion because of what Jesus said. No religion is perfect but following Jesus and those who try to live by His words makes more sense to me than anything made here on earth.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,778,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So what is your God and what do you worship? We all have our God/Gods. If it isn't a religious God then it is a material one. Do you worship science and think they have all the answers?
No. But the answers they have are based on evidence. The answers that religion dishes out is not.

Quote:
Nothing made by man is infallible. I follow a faith because I believe Jesus is God and therefore infallible. I don't follow a man made relgiion, I follow a religion because of what Jesus said. No religion is perfect but following Jesus and those who try to live by His words makes more sense to me than anything made here on earth.
You said it yourself. Religion is not perfect. It is not infallable. It does not have all the answers. It is no better than scienceand in fact, worse because it is not based on evidence, just belief.

You can believe what you want of course, but just declaring your Faith to us is a waste of all our time. It proves nothing whatsoever.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:53 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,583,526 times
It's not just belief. Christians/Catholics would often state there is evidence in many ways. The life of Jesus, the lives of the saints from diverse cultures, constants in the Universe, reported miracles, a continuous society. Catholics have organizations like the Benedictines that have lasted almost fifteen centuries. (And in the case of Benedictines it's mostly just people becoming Benedictines, you aren't generally raised specifically as a Benedictine) Atheists have not yet created any society or organization that really lasts. The closest might be the French Republic, which is around 130 years or so in its varied forms. (Although deeming the French Republic to simply be a creation of atheists might not be entirely valid)

That being said it's true this is the Atheist/Agnostic board and it's slightly rude to interject anything that could be deemed disparaging/superfluous to the various breeds of non-theism.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:44 PM

705 posts, read 1,111,655 times
I started school an a catholic school in the first grade. The nuns seemed very evil looking in appearance to me. They acted even more evil than they looked, having absolutely no patience or understanding with young children who were new to the school and the surroundings.

When we had religion class we used these little booklets called a catechism, I found them very strange even at age 6. I remember the nuns using a call and response method for some of the lessons, one was "Who made you" and we'd have to answer "god made me." Now not having had any biology classes yet I didn't think much of all this, but when I got old enough to understand the true nature of things I got pretty pissed at all this Moderator cut: deleted for having mislead me. God made me??? Really..............The more I thought about it, even at a young age, the more mad I got. I switched to public school in the fourth grade but my parents made me go to a catholic high school. Tha only lasted two years.

I really became an atheist around 8 or 9. I never really considered myself a catholic anyway. I don't used such relicious terms to paint people anyway, catholic, baptist, methodist, etc. It's what they believe anyway, not what they are.

Moderator cut: deleted - rude I have nothing but contempt for the catholic church and their hypocratical priests, nuns, bishops and others.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-04-2010 at 05:58 AM..

Old 06-03-2010, 03:43 PM

So what answer did you come up with on who made you?

Do you have contempt for those catholics that work in impoverished areas? Why don't you read the books written about the saints like Fr. Damien that devoted his whole life to helping lepers in Hawaii. He and thousands like him gave their lives in service to others. They were taught by the Catholic Church to do what Jesus told us to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism