Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,806,806 times

Advertisements

For those atheists who want to learn more about one of your founding mothers of your movement, there is an interesting 20/20 on WE cable channel. What a bizarre life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 09:01 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,187,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
For those atheists who want to learn more about one of your founding mothers of your movement, there is an interesting 20/20 on WE cable channel. What a bizarre life!

Calling atheism a movement is like calling bald a hair color.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:49 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,279,723 times
Atheism is much older than O'Hair. She is not a founding mother - just a loud one. Socrates lost his life over it (if Plato can be believed).

But I do agree that O'Hair is odd.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:11 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,032,231 times
I am not Christian, but in my opinion O'Hair was a nutcase and as bad as the loudest preachinng Fundamentalist. I am old enough to remember her rants and fussing. She did more to harm Atheism than anyone has ever done. Her life was a pure example of Karma at work.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:52 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,367,355 times
I don’t think O’Hair was the founder of an atheist movement. She was just an outspoken defender of the rights of atheist, and not afraid to take her fight for equal rights to the highest court of the land.
In the past I would have agreed with Haaziq on the no Atheist movement, but in the last few years I see a ground swell of people pulling together to limit the religious right push into our government, and the religious myths in our schools. I personally belong to several non religious groups and today would have to say a non religious or secular movement has started. It is not because of O’Hair, but she may be one of the factors which kept the option in the public view during a period when the Right was pushing their views on all of us in schools and government.
And last of all she was an odd bird, and lived a sad life.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I don’t think O’Hair was the founder of an atheist movement. She was just an outspoken defender of the rights of atheist, and not afraid to take her fight for equal rights to the highest court of the land.
In the past I would have agreed with Haaziq on the no Atheist movement, but in the last few years I see a ground swell of people pulling together to limit the religious right push into our government, and the religious myths in our schools. I personally belong to several non religious groups and today would have to say a non religious or secular movement has started. It is not because of O’Hair, but she may be one of the factors which kept the option in the public view during a period when the Right was pushing their views on all of us in schools and government.
And last of all she was an odd bird, and lived a sad life.
It's all about how something is worded. There are atheist movements, but atheism itself isn't a movement.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:13 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,517,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
umm... Atheism is just a little bit older than O'hair. (But she does seem like a nut.)

Old 05-02-2009, 09:35 AM

33,596 posts, read 37,237,761 times
Somebody really hated her....

In January 2001, a full five and a half years after they were last seen, the Murray-O'Hairs were finally found on a sprawling ranch near the little town of Camp Wood, Tex. (The owner of the ranch was not implicated in their deaths.) Federal agents, led to the scene by David Waters, found skulls, scorched cloth, severed bones, and a metal hip belonging to Madalyn O'Hair.

The Murder of Madalyn Murray O'Hair: America's Most Hated Woman by Lona Manning (http://www.crimemagazine.com/ohair.htm - broken link)

Old 05-02-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
umm... Atheism is just a little bit older than O'hair. (But she does seem like a nut.)
I'd say way older. Ever heard of Baron d'Holbach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism