Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 03:47 PM

765 posts, read 1,911,345 times

Advertisements

My wife is a christian and I occasionally go to church with her because it makes her happy, lately she has put me on the spot asking me to pray over food while the rest of the family is around and I flat refuse which makes me look like an ass, she also has some of her christian friends over and I simply do no relate to their beliefs though I try not to provoke them unless provoked first. We have been together a long time only recently have I told her and a couple of other family members that I am an atheist and have no use for their god and bible, anyone else have this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 03:48 PM

895 posts, read 2,366,371 times
Read her some of this website. It goes in depth into christian scripture and many well written essays on it and why it's illogical.

Why Christianity is false

Old 05-30-2009, 03:51 PM

I didn't come to being an atheist overnight it took years, Richard Dawkins helped speed up the process after years of study of most of the worlds religions.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:57 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
I simply don't tell anyone. The only person who knows of my atheism is my brother, who is in the same boat. Our father is a preacher and both our parents are extremely devout fundamentalist Christians. I really wouldn't have the heart to tell my dad that his livelihood is based upon something I can no longer make myself believe. Everyone I know is either an actual church-goer or at least believes in God even if he/she doesn't do the church thing. So I just keep quiet about it. It's really not worth the conflict and possible ostracism when I hope to move to a more open-minded place within a few years anyway.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:59 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,513 times
It's pretty simple for me: I just don't bring it up. My entire family (including my extended family) are hard, hard, hardcore Christian Fundamentalist; even the thought of not believing in the bible is absurd and regarded as a mental disorder to them (they definitely have the bad atheist concept drilled into their mind). When something about the bible, Jesus, or some controversial issue comes up (which ultimately leads to the former and the coming of "the Lord") I just keep quiet and bring up another subject or leave the room. I guess for me it's just a matter of getting used to it and trying to hold my tongue; so far, so good.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:08 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
It would really be difficult to be in the situations that have been described. My family for the most part is also very religious but they've never been pushy about it so I've been very fortunate. The problem can be serious because you're only going to have one set of family members in your life and even though you may disagree with them about religion you still have love for them and a certain bond that you don't want to break. If it were me I would just do my best to avoid the subject if possible and try to make the most of the things that you do have in common.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:09 PM

895 posts, read 2,366,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
I didn't come to being an atheist overnight it took years, Richard Dawkins helped speed up the process after years of study of most of the worlds religions.
You really should make her take a look at that site i gave the link for. Some of the essays especially on hell and atrocities and is god is all knowing etc are very well written and it's almost impossible to come up with a logical argument against it. Of course she can quote scripture but he uses scripture as well. Take a look at the essay on homosexuality and christianity. Read the bottom of that essay, it is a letter written to one of the top fundamentalists and it just shows how illogical christianity is and quoting scripture is.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:11 PM

My pop is a preacher and I would never challenge his beliefs , the problem lies in the fact that no matter how much you try to respect their beliefs they will never respect mine.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:13 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
My wife is a christian and I occasionally go to church with her because it makes her happy, lately she has put me on the spot asking me to pray over food while the rest of the family is around and I flat refuse which makes me look like an ass, she also has some of her christian friends over and I simply do no relate to their beliefs though I try not to provoke them unless provoked first. We have been together a long time only recently have I told her and a couple of other family members that I am an atheist and have no use for their god and bible, anyone else have this situation?

First of all, I would never have married a religious person.
Secondly, I think you should talk to your wife in a private setting and in a calm, nonconfrontational way, and explain to her that while you will never attempt to interfere with her spirituality and spiritual activities, whether that be going to church or praying before meals, you are not a believer and will not be put on the spot and made to be either an ass or a hypocrite.
Ask her how she would feel if you took every opportunity to put her on the spot and force her to denounce God publicly, in front of other atheists.
Tell her that it will stop, now; tell her that you will embarrass her the next time she tries it.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:16 PM

I can quote the bible better than her preacher having read it several times, also the teachings of Buddha, the holy Koran, and numerous christian faction texts and lots of feel good new age junk. I have studied religion in a lot of depth and that has been the number one reason I reject the notion of "god"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism