Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:36 PM

42 posts, read 174,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
The only guarantee in life is that you are going to die. Why waste your limited time worrying about something that can only be answered afterwards???
Well I'm not worrying about the afterlife in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Define "point" in this context. Then I might have an answer.
I mean it in an extremely broad sense. Any sort of meaning, purpose, or goal counts as a point. And the source can be either personal or divine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
So we find reasons to live. These have no intrinsic validity but they are meaningful for us.
And I think personal meaning is more than adequate for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 04:42 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times
Certainly, I don't believe there is an ulterior motive behind my existence or a God in heaven that has a plotted chart of what my life should be as if he were planning a road trip with a bunch of sightseeing tours for his children.

I tend to believe that we are all unique individuals shaped by our biological 'presets,' our life experiences and our interactions with the rest of the universe (however finite or grandiose those interactions may be).

It is the combination of our individual nature and our individual nurture that I feel tends to allow our egos to deign a purpose to what it is we believe in and what we assign our motives to be. I feel that because of our egos, it should come as no surprise to us that we often placate some ulterior motive behind our existence. This, I believe, tends to stem from a residual 'holding area' in our minds brought forth upon us by our parents or those who have raised us. Because most people are handed down goals and 'purposes' from those who have raised us, it should seem likely that we suspect our origins and our presence in the universe would lead many to believe there must be a Master Parental Figurehead behind the alleged purpose-giving to human beings.

Something I have thought about very much in the past weeks and months is how something affects me and, no matter how logical I may try to approach things, it seems as though the resultant effect of whatever it was somehow seems directed at me. Now, what I mean by this is not necessarily that I feel some sort of divine presence is throwing things my way whether they be good or bad but that I think we tend to think of things that only affect us and not the whole of the variable 'system' that we are interacting with.

This seems typical to me of people in general. Because we exist, we seem to hold a certain intrinsic value upon the things that happen to us whether they be big or small. Because of those value-laden things we tend to ascribe ourselves to and because of the nature of the universe in which the 'cause and effect' principle is relevant everywhere we look, it almost would seem easy enough to think there must be some sort of 'purpose' to our existence.

However, I think that we should be able, as mature adults and even as children to realize that although we don't necessarily need a divine purpose or road map drawn out for us that we are capable of assigning ourselves some rather fantastic purposes or self-oriented goals, if you will. While this does not satiate the desire to be led by the hand by an omnipotent GPS system in many people, for those who are willing to accept their mere existence as strictly mortal, I think there is nothing wrong with that frame of mind.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:51 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
I suspect, if there is a point, we give it one in the way we live our lives. Also, the understanding that none of us are gonna get out of this alive.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:47 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Liked Troop's post. Very thoughtful comments on how our feelings of our own importance as individuals and a group lead us to assigns feeings of meaningfullness and purpose to our existence; and those tend to delude us into thinking that there must be some meaning or purpose or plan. There isn't, other than those we decide for ourselves.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:13 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Liked Troop's post. Very thoughtful comments on how our feelings of our own importance as individuals and a group lead us to assigns feeings of meaningfullness and purpose to our existence; and those tend to delude us into thinking that there must be some meaning or purpose or plan. There isn't, other than those we decide for ourselves.
You simply point out what I have called a "lesser included" requirement of our purpose . . . not the only possibility.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:22 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I suspect, if there is a point, we give it one in the way we live our lives. Also, the understanding that none of us are gonna get out of this alive.
i share this suspicion (all too often), makes me (whose?) suspect....?
(hummmm?)

Old 06-21-2009, 10:55 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,277 times
There is no more "purpose" for our life, than a mouse's life. We are simply here by chance and randomness.
There is no point. You live your life. That's it. There is no fairness, there is no reason.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:55 AM

467 posts, read 983,690 times
Look at your pets and any wild animal out there. What do they do? They just live each day, play, eat, and reproduce and are quite content. We are animals, too, like it or not, that all we really have to do is just live each day the best we can and hope we get to do all the things we wanted to do when its all over.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:57 AM

4 posts, read 6,242 times
Sometimes I wonder if the meaning of Life is to uncover the truth of oursleves, a lot of people seem to be identified with the various real / imagined outer layers of ourselves, i.e. Nationalities, religious denominations, skin color, sex, body form etc. etc. but if we are mercilessly honest with ourselves, can we really stop at such a superficial layer ?
if one was to relax, sit or lie down, close one's eyes, ( in a calm, quiet area ) and honestly look within to see who or what is asking for meaning,
what is this energy of self awareness that is always present, always available, what is this watchfullness that is at the centre of each of our individual experiences of life, this feeling of " I exist " that to me is more meaningful than to ponder various mental hypothesis of the universe, surely to know "Who am I " is of prime significance, whether we be alive / dead, on this planet or another?

Old 06-22-2009, 08:31 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid EH View Post
Well I'm not worrying about the afterlife in this thread.
Well if we are not talking about an afterlife then the question is flawed. What is the point of life assumes that there needs to be a purpose. It inherently rejects the idea that we are just a stage of evolution and we are just lucky to be here.

Or you can take the evolutionary stance on life and say our only purpose is reproduction. And this may be more true than people realize because lets face it, the whole "dream" is to get married settle down and have kids, i.e. the point of life is to reproduce. I do not follow this because there are plenty of people who have had significant lives without having children.

Instead I believe the point of your life is going to be decided by how people remember you. To them you could be a great husband/wife father/mother friend/colleague actor/sports star whatever it may be. The way you affect those around you is how you are going to be remembered and the effect of your life is what your purpose will turn out to be. Life is only pointless if you allow it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism