Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:00 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I was semi suprised today when I went into my kid's high school to register them. I say semi suprised because this is the deep south after all. But anyhow, I step into the office and plastered all over one of the walls were many many posters of different scriptures and the 10 suggestions. There was even a stack of tracts and NT's on the counter! I was sooo tempted to cause a scene over it but I was also in the middle of my work day and didn't want to get done later.....should I? Just for fun?
Whoa....That is not the school I'd want my kids in. I'd raise the roof if I had no other choice of schools. They are flagrantly breaking the law are they not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,067,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I was semi suprised today when I went into my kid's high school to register them. I say semi suprised because this is the deep south after all. But anyhow, I step into the office and plastered all over one of the walls were many many posters of different scriptures and the 10 suggestions. There was even a stack of tracts and NT's on the counter! I was sooo tempted to cause a scene over it but I was also in the middle of my work day and didn't want to get done later.....should I? Just for fun?

Why is it really that big of a deal to you? Are you so frightened that your kids are going to stray from the non-belief you've taught them?

Old 08-03-2009, 09:54 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,815 times
Religion is a PRIVATE issue and should not be pushed on ANYONE in a public school. ANY religion. End of story.

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Why is it really that big of a deal to you? Are you so frightened that your kids are going to stray from the non-belief you've taught them?
HA! You have NO CLUE what you are talking about! As I've said before, I spent the past 14 years in church...my kids are 13 and 15. They don't really know how I feel now. It is a non issue at the moment. The 13 year old has an idea because she and I felt the same way about church. But I've never called myself agnostic or atheist in front of them. Actually I've never said it to anyone! Just typed it here and there. It just irritates me. Hmmm...if you had a kid in a school that was plastered with Islamic stuff you'd be a little upset.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:48 PM

111 posts, read 265,671 times
Just keep in communication with your kids to make sure they are not being pressured directly about Christianity. That's where you've got to draw the line.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Religion is a PRIVATE issue and should not be pushed on ANYONE in a public school. ANY religion. End of story.

No....it really isn't. Religion is not just a relative, personal thing.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:55 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,853 times
Quote:
No....it really isn't. Religion is not just a relative, personal thing.

Oh yes, it is. Religion is a hobby or a personal habit/lifestyle choice, like smoking and should be kept at home or in appropriate venues. HINT: a school is not an appropriate venue.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Oh yes, it is. Religion is a hobby or a personal habit/lifestyle choice, like smoking and should be kept at home or in appropriate venues. HINT: a school is not an appropriate venue.
No...it really isn't.

And, as long as you have people in schools, religion will be and should be, as well. Don't like it? Don't participate.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:57 AM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
No...it really isn't.

And, as long as you have people in schools, religion will be and should be, as well. Don't like it? Don't participate.
Are you nuts? This has to be a new low for dumb posts. Religion does not belong in schools. If it did then every religion that has representation in the country would have to be included...There would be no time left for education of any kind...Keep your religion in your home and your church.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:53 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
We didn't even have that crap in my school, a Catholic school.
What is wrong with people?

Quote:
Because a public school, paid for with tax dollars, is no place to have religion. Any religion.
And you wonder why atheists get ticked with christers.

Why do you insist on coming into the a/a subforum to do nothing but argue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism