Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 05:23 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,863 times

Advertisements

Last night a group of friends talked about Obama’s statements on religion and our discussion questioned weather he was religious or not religious. Today I did a search on his quotes, and see many which sound Agnostic, or at least not religious, yet very tolerant of other views. Here are a few of his quotes. What are your views on his religious stand?

“You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

"Although ... we have a very large Christian population, we do not consider ourselves a Christian nation, or a Jewish nation, or a Muslim nation," said Obama. "We consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values."

“the U.S. is "no longer a Christian nation" but is also a nation of others, including Muslims and nonbelievers.”

“Whatever we once were, we're no longer a Christian nation. At least not just. We are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, and a Buddhist nation, and a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers,"

“Somehow, somewhere along the way, faith stopped being used to bring us together and started being used to drive us apart. It got hijacked. Part of it's because of the so-called leaders of the Christian Right, who've been all too eager to exploit what divides us," he said.”
"I think that the right might worry a bit more about the dangers of sectarianism. Whatever we once were, we're no longer just a Christian nation; we are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers," Obama

JERUSALEM – Some have been taking issue with largely unnoticed comments made last year by Sen. Barack Obama declaring the U.S. is "no longer a Christian nation" but is also a nation of others, including Muslims and nonbelievers.

"I think that the right might worry a bit more about the dangers of sectarianism. Whatever we once were, we're no longer just a Christian nation; we are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers," Obama wrote in an e-mail to CBN News senior national correspondent David Brody.
"We should acknowledge this and realize that when we're formulating policies from the state house to the Senate floor to the White House, we've got to work to translate our reasoning into values that are accessible to every one of our citizens, not just members of our own faith community," wrote Obama.
“My intention was to contrast the heated partisan rhetoric of a distinct minority of Christian leaders with the vast majority of Evangelical Christians – conservatives included – who believe that hate has no place in our politics.” Obama

"When you have pastors and Pundits who appear to explicitly coordinate with one political party; when you're implying that your fellow Americans are traitors, terrorist sympathizers or akin to the devil himself; then I think you're attempting to hijack the faith of those who follow you for your own personal or political ends," wrote Obama.
"We should acknowledge this and realize that when we're formulating policies from the state house to the Senate to the White House, we've got to work to translate our reasoning into values that are accessible to every one of our citizens, not just members of our own faith community," wrote Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 06:00 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,928 times
Because he is a career politician, you can count on Obama's religion being whatever is politically expedient.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:23 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,387,186 times
It's hard to tell from those quotes. They sound like someone trying to get elected (re-eleted).

Old 11-27-2009, 07:39 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,008,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Last night a group of friends talked about Obama’s statements on religion and our discussion questioned weather he was religious or not religious. Today I did a search on his quotes, and see many which sound Agnostic, or at least not religious, yet very tolerant of other views. Here are a few of his quotes. What are your views on his religious stand?

“You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.â€

"Although ... we have a very large Christian population, we do not consider ourselves a Christian nation, or a Jewish nation, or a Muslim nation," said Obama. "We consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values."

“the U.S. is "no longer a Christian nation" but is also a nation of others, including Muslims and nonbelievers.â€

“Whatever we once were, we're no longer a Christian nation. At least not just. We are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, and a Buddhist nation, and a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers,"

“Somehow, somewhere along the way, faith stopped being used to bring us together and started being used to drive us apart. It got hijacked. Part of it's because of the so-called leaders of the Christian Right, who've been all too eager to exploit what divides us," he said.â€
"I think that the right might worry a bit more about the dangers of sectarianism. Whatever we once were, we're no longer just a Christian nation; we are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers," Obama

JERUSALEM – Some have been taking issue with largely unnoticed comments made last year by Sen. Barack Obama declaring the U.S. is "no longer a Christian nation" but is also a nation of others, including Muslims and nonbelievers.

"I think that the right might worry a bit more about the dangers of sectarianism. Whatever we once were, we're no longer just a Christian nation; we are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers," Obama wrote in an e-mail to CBN News senior national correspondent David Brody.
"We should acknowledge this and realize that when we're formulating policies from the state house to the Senate floor to the White House, we've got to work to translate our reasoning into values that are accessible to every one of our citizens, not just members of our own faith community," wrote Obama.
“My intention was to contrast the heated partisan rhetoric of a distinct minority of Christian leaders with the vast majority of Evangelical Christians – conservatives included – who believe that hate has no place in our politics.†Obama

"When you have pastors and Pundits who appear to explicitly coordinate with one political party; when you're implying that your fellow Americans are traitors, terrorist sympathizers or akin to the devil himself; then I think you're attempting to hijack the faith of those who follow you for your own personal or political ends," wrote Obama.
"We should acknowledge this and realize that when we're formulating policies from the state house to the Senate to the White House, we've got to work to translate our reasoning into values that are accessible to every one of our citizens, not just members of our own faith community," wrote Obama.
You might want to take a look at this train wreck over here to get an idea what some people think:

Confused...I thought he was a "Christian"

Old 11-27-2009, 07:42 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,560,540 times
What religion is Obowma? Obviously he worships himself.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:59 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
You might want to take a look at this train wreck over here to get an idea what some people think:

I read the first three pages, and wonder if think is the right term to use.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:09 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,749,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post

I could only stomach the first page. Also, I can't watch the videos on my computer.

Regardless of whether one likes Obama or not, he is indeed a politician. Politicians in the U.S. are very aware that the majority are religious in this country, especially Christian, and so just about all of them are guaranteed to try to look Christian when they can. I doubt Obama is a closet atheist (I've seen some hopefully suggest), but I also don't get the impression that he's terribly religious. There are plenty of people in this country like that; who believe in God but may not give it a whole lot of thought in their daily lives. On the other hand, he may be a very devout Christian and simply understands that not everyone is. That's not very likely, though.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:49 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,008,333 times
Yes, you get the idea from that other thread that folks are shocked that he may not be a Christian and speaks peaceful words toward Islamic Americans who actually balance their faith and national allegiance quite comfortably. You get the feeling some of the folks over there feel he SHOULD be a Christian and should talk as if he despises Muslims and Islam in order for him to be considered THEIR president.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:44 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
My opinion is that President Obama is a very liberal Christian..Personally I don't care what his religion preference is so long as it does not interfere with his role as our president..I voted for him and I will support him as long as he upholds the constitution in the oath he took on the steps of the Capitol Bldg..

Old 11-27-2009, 10:54 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
I think Obama belongs to the "Church of the Dollar".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism