Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:19 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,689,975 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be alone this Thanksgiving. My grown son and daughter are very far away and my fiance is deployed right now. So I thought I'd do something constructive with the day and volunteer at a soup kitchen. I looked for a non-denominational one, but I can't find one close enough to me. So, I thought about it and I decided that that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If I go volunteer at a religiously-based one, it could work two ways. Either they refuse my help when they find out I'm an atheist (because if it's a religious soup kitchen I'm betting they will ask which church I attend), or they will allow me to help anyway, in which case maybe...just maybe some of them will realize that atheists aren't morally bankrupt, pedophilic, worthless baby-killers.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:25 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,197,286 times
Kudos to you, and I'd love to hear how it plays out for you if you do volunteer with a religiously inclined organization.

My daughter's kindergarten class organized a food drive to put together Thanksgiving dinner for a needy family in our town this week. It was tough to explain to her that not every family would have a good meal on Thanksgiving if others didn't help them, but love her little heart.. she got so worried that there'd be a kid in the family that got their box who wouldn't have a dessert that she had me buy cake mix and frosting to send in with the box of stuffing she'd been assigned.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Kudos to you, and I'd love to hear how it plays out for you if you do volunteer with a religiously inclined organization.

My daughter's kindergarten class organized a food drive to put together Thanksgiving dinner for a needy family in our town this week. It was tough to explain to her that not every family would have a good meal on Thanksgiving if others didn't help them, but love her little heart.. she got so worried that there'd be a kid in the family that got their box who wouldn't have a dessert that she had me buy cake mix and frosting to send in with the box of stuffing she'd been assigned.
Awesome. Shows she's learned to use her head and actually think things through to a logical conclusion. Good for her, and good training on your part!

Old 11-18-2009, 12:41 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,622,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
...just maybe some of them will realize that atheists aren't morally bankrupt, pedophilic, worthless baby-killers.

Thoughts?
That's a ridiculous stereotype for sure. Hope it goes well and I will watch for your updates. This like this would make a cool reality show.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:47 AM

33,566 posts, read 37,172,616 times
Good on you merc....You will be serving godless grub

Old 11-18-2009, 04:34 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,174,880 times
The thing about volunteering is to help those in need or to help those that provide services for people in need.
Doesn't matter if you and them have different beliefs.
The end result is the same. You feel good for doing it and the recipients feel good for having being helped by a kind person.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:21 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,404,434 times
I think that most churches will appreciate the help. I'm sure they'll try to bring you from "the dark side" though! Good for you! Hey wait a minute! I thought that atheists didn't give a hoot about other people! You can't care unless Moderator cut: deleted for offensiveness is in your heart!!!!

Last edited by june 7th; 11-19-2009 at 06:40 PM..

Old 11-18-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
The thing about volunteering is to help those in need or to help those that provide services for people in need.
Doesn't matter if you and them have different beliefs.
The end result is the same. You feel good for doing it and the recipients feel good for having being helped by a kind person.
I agree it shouldn't matter. It doesn't matter to me, but it certainly has mattered many times to the religious side when people like me are ostracized for not believing in a god.

I hope they don't care, because I'd rather spend my Tday doing something constructive that someone else will enjoy than home watching television.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:25 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,406,280 times
Just a thought...what about volunteering at a Veteran's Hospital..Don't think it would be a problem there

Old 11-18-2009, 07:29 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,028,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I'm going to be alone this Thanksgiving. My grown son and daughter are very far away and my fiance is deployed right now. So I thought I'd do something constructive with the day and volunteer at a soup kitchen. I looked for a non-denominational one, but I can't find one close enough to me. So, I thought about it and I decided that that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If I go volunteer at a religiously-based one, it could work two ways. Either they refuse my help when they find out I'm an atheist (because if it's a religious soup kitchen I'm betting they will ask which church I attend), or they will allow me to help anyway, in which case maybe...just maybe some of them will realize that atheists aren't morally bankrupt, pedophilic, worthless baby-killers.

Thoughts?
Right on, Mercury!

If it gets to be too much for ya, my door is always open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism