Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 10:56 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times

Advertisements

We are are just usless, meaningless accidents. No point to life. No point to being. Just hollow emptiness. Life is futile and meaningless.

You are here, then gone. A big so what.

Kinda makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Last edited by Mr5150; 06-05-2010 at 11:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 11:03 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
You can debate this to no end, all is matter we're here to live, survive and do our best. Then we disappear to the same place we were before we were born, the beginning of the end.
If there is no purpose why "do our best"? What is "our best"?

You’re right, there’s no need to debate simply think it through by answering a few simple questions.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:34 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
That was a very trollish post to start a thread off with. Since it took evolution around three billion years to build up to us, we are hardly accidents. I think it's pretty wonderful myself, much more so than some supernatural creation.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:48 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
how can we best explain our existence ?

4. None of the above. Were I to be a jerk, I would say "Cojito ergo sum" , but,,,, a thought does not necessarily entail the existence of humans. In the case of some humans it would be counter intuitive.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:04 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElOl888 View Post
how can we best explain our existence ?

what do you think is the cause of the existence of our universe ?

I think there are 3 options.

1. The univerese exists eternally, in one form, or the other, had no beginning.

2. The universe had a beginning, with the Big Bang, but without a cause.

3. The universe had a beginning, and therefore a cause.

If there are other options, which do not fit in one of these three categories, please name them.

If you agree, there exist basically only the above options, please explain, which option you think is most plausible, and why.
To ask, "which option (do) you think is (the) most plausible" reveals the disingenuous motivation of your intent to illicit an emotional response to salve your fragmented belief...in what, only you can tell...except you haven't.
Besides, if a thing is plausible, you would only deny it.Pray tell what do you know to be the absolute option. , and ...there's only one irrefutable answer...

Old 06-06-2010, 07:56 AM

9 posts, read 12,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That was a very trollish post to start a thread off with. Since it took evolution around three billion years to build up to us, we are hardly accidents. I think it's pretty wonderful myself, much more so than some supernatural creation.
the mechanism of evolution is said to have started to be a agent after the first living cell existed. You cannot apply evolution to the creation of the universe, and the first living cell.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:57 AM

9 posts, read 12,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Number 3 without a doubt.

Physics disproves number 1 and logic discredits option 2.
I agree. So what properties must that cause probably have ?

Old 06-06-2010, 08:32 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
If there is no purpose why "do our best"? What is "our best"?

You’re right, there’s no need to debate simply think it through by answering a few simple questions.
"Our best" is up to you, your best is not my best. Whatever you feel your best is, go with it!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:31 PM

783 posts, read 1,326,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
"Our best" is up to you, your best is not my best. Whatever you feel your best is, go with it!
Let’s test your relativistic point of view.

The brakes on my car were no longer functioning; they would barely stop the vehicle. Because of the danger posed to life and property I took the car to the shop to be repaired.

The service manager had the mechanic look at the brakes and came back with an estimate of $600.00 and 1 day to complete the job. I reluctantly gave the okay to have the brake job done.

I returned the following day to pick up my vehicle and to my surprise it was finished and the bill did not exceed the estimate, totaling $594.78, cause for celebration!

I took my keys, jumped in my care and started merrily home. When I got to the entrance to the busy street I stepped on the brake pedal and nothing happened, the car didn’t stop and the on coming car in the street slammed in to my car.

After the shock of the accident and taking care of the formalities I went back in to the shop to discuss the situation with the service manager. They inspected the vehicle and found that the mechanic neglected to connect the brake lines to the brakes. But they claimed no liability in the matter citing “we did our best”.

The sad part of the story is that when the case went to court the judge agreed that the “we did our best” defense was acceptable and ruled in their favor.

This is a dramatization to show that the “do your best” relativistic view self-destructs when put in to practice.

Moderator cut: deleted - signatures lines violate TOS.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-07-2010 at 01:47 PM..

Old 06-06-2010, 07:37 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
Um... I don't really understand why you have a problem with people doing their best... Was this dramatization a true story or something you made up? What you rather have people do - their worst? Perfection doesn't really exist - so wouldn't doing your best be the next best thing?
Anyway, I still say nobody knows. Just enjoy the ride!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism