Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:59 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry for your aunt and the pain that your family must have suffered over all of this. I'm even sorrier to say that it doesn't surprise me at all. This is a story that repeats itself over and over. I know so many people who have been ignored by churches during times of pain or have had their feelings/wishes disregarded by church members.

To the original topic - I forgot to mention that I'm also an organ donor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 03:47 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
After you die, what do you want?

Having not died before, I have no idea what would be necessary in death. First off, I am an organ donor, and, since I fully intend to be cremated, a comfy coffin doesn't sound reasonable, on the off chance I may need something, bury me with a six pack of beer, a couple of joints and a few condoms.......and maybe a small box of bojangles chicken too w/biscuits and tea. A twenty in the shirt pocket would probably take care of any other eventualities. BUT........ since I'll be flame broiled, and spread out on the gulf stream, forget all the other stuff. Just throw one of my fishing rod and reel combos w/bait, over the side of the boat with me.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:18 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
What do I want after I die? For proselytizers to give me some peace. Apparently, it will take death for that to happen.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:50 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,171,795 times
I'm thoroughly enjoying all of your answers! Thank you!

Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 AM

254 posts, read 415,018 times
My Dad requested before he passed away from cancer that his ashes be spread everywhere they possibly could. He didn't get to see enough of this world, and he wanted his ashes divided up among family members and for each of us to spread a little of them wherever we went.
On a 3,000 mile road trip I dusted the fields of Alabama, the bayous of Louisiana, the plains of Texas, and the deserts of New Mexico with my fathers memory.
And a little of him went into the vast ocean in Florida.
There's still some left in case there's anywhere else he decides he wants to see with us.
And that's what I'd like for myself, too.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:50 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times
mellanieblue, what a fabulous idea!!! I love it! My husband and I are going to New Zealand this winter. Wish I could spread those ashes for you! Maybe that's what I'll ask of my family. I seriously love that!

Old 06-10-2010, 08:11 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
I believe I'm going to donate my body like my grandmother did. My only issue is I think they cremate whatever they don't use and I hate cremation.

So I haven't worked it all out yet.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:47 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,426 times
I don't really care. Funerals are so depressing so I don't really want one. I don't want anything religious either. What do they do with non religious folks for a memorial service anyhow?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:14 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I don't really care. Funerals are so depressing so I don't really want one. I don't want anything religious either. What do they do with non religious folks for a memorial service anyhow?
Most of the memorial services I have been to haven't been religious.
For my late husband, we had a service at the UU church, played lots of Grateful Dead and Dylan tunes, and shared memories and food. It was very touching, and not depressing, a celebration of his life.
We later threw his ashes mixed with very good marijuana over the cliffs in to the Pacific.

You can have a very meaningful memorial service that is completely religion free. Memorial services are an opportunity for the friends and family of the dead person to come together and share loving memories, and say goodbye.

I'm sure that your family and friends love you very much, and would like to have a memorial for you if you should die. It is for them, not for you!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:38 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
If anyone could use any of my organs, they're welcome to them. After that, cremation--but only because I don't think [URL="http://hk.video.yahoo.com/video/video.html?id=1882047"]sky burials[/URL] are available in the U.S. (Don't click the link if you're squeamish.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism