Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 10:11 PM

8 posts, read 27,087 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving into an area where my son will be attending North Cobb High School but before I finalize on moving into this area, I am trying gather as much information about this school as possible.

I am looking for a school that offers both academics and athletics. I'm able to find some information about their academics but is having a very difficult time finding information about their athletic program particular football.

Can someone please direct me to sites to locate this information? Also can someone please tell me their opinion of the school overall. I need to know if it's diverse, what the environment there is like, is there any bullying? Are there any gang activity? How are the teachers? Do they welcome parent involvement? Does the teachers work with the parents with providing feedback? Does the teachers update Pinnacle and so forth? I need brutally honest opinions on both academics, overall school and it's environment and it's athletic program? How are the coaches? Are the coaches more concern about their players grades than winning games? How many players have received college scholarships? How many state championships has the football team won?

Signed single mom trying to place her scholar athlete in the right school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 10:39 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantdbest4mychild View Post
I am considering moving into an area where my son will be attending North Cobb High School but before I finalize on moving into this area, I am trying gather as much information about this school as possible.

I am looking for a school that offers both academics and athletics. I'm able to find some information about their academics but is having a very difficult time finding information about their athletic program particular football.

Can someone please direct me to sites to locate this information? Also can someone please tell me their opinion of the school overall. I need to know if it's diverse, what the environment there is like, is there any bullying? Are there any gang activity? How are the teachers? Do they welcome parent involvement? Does the teachers work with the parents with providing feedback? Does the teachers update Pinnacle and so forth? I need brutally honest opinions on both academics, overall school and it's environment and it's athletic program? How are the coaches? Are the coaches more concern about their players grades than winning games? How many players have received college scholarships? How many state championships has the football team won?

These should explain a lot right here:

North Cobb Football - index

Home - North Cobb High School Academic Booster Club

Home

http://www.greatschools.org/school/p...e=GA#from..Tab

Other helpful links:

http://www.cobbk12.org/northcobb/Attention%20Gifted%20Students%20at%20North%20Cobb% 20High%20School.pdf (broken link)

| North Cobb School for International Studies

North Cobb High School (http://www.cobbk12.org/northcobb/departments.htm - broken link)

North Cobb High School Class Websites

North Cobb High School (http://www.cobbk12.org/northcobb/clubsandorganizations.htm - broken link)

Legacy Park - Atlanta's First Townpark Community

http://www.pinetreecc.org/

Last edited by aries4118; 07-21-2010 at 10:48 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 07:35 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,306 times
Quote:

My sister tought there up until last year so I have some pretty good insight. North Cobb is definetly the most ghetto of all the northern Cobb county schools. There are several aparment complexes that send kids there as well as some low end neighborhoods and trailer parks. With that said there are also some upper income areas and neighborhoods that feed into there as well. Basically you have some really good students and some really bad ones. The racial mix is much more than any of the surrounding schools, a simple google search will tell you the demographics and test scores. The athletics are on par with most schools in the area and are pretty good from what I have heard. For me personally I would not buy a home or send my kids to North Cobb when every other school in the area is so much better. Harrison, Allatoona, Kennesaw Mountain and even Hillgrove are much better schools than North Cobb. This isnt just my opinion either, when Allatoona High opened a few years ago many parents were thrilled to get their kids out of North Cobb.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:25 PM

Do you feel North Cobb High School is more ghetto than McEachern High School?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Do you feel North Cobb High School is more ghetto than McEachern High School?
NO way, McEachern is the most ghetto of all the Northwest Cobb county schools. You should have been here when Hillgrove was scheduled to be built. People in surrounding neighborhoods were at war with the school board because they wanted to be zoned for Hillgrove and NOT McEachern. Of course race was a factor because McEachern went from an all white school to majority minority in literally the blink of an eye. It shocked the hell out of most whites in the area and when Hillgrove became an option almost all of the whites wanted their kids to go there. Dont shoot the messenger because this is exactly what happened, the AJC had stories on it back in 06 or 07.

I was in the Real Estate business for years and know that McEachern has become toxic when it comes to whites moving into the area. Some of my Realtors were more blunt than others but simply put almost all of their white clients wanted to only look at houses that werent zoned for McEachern.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:37 PM

So suprascooby22, I've heard talks that there may be rezoning coming in the future that could effect both Hillgrove and McEachern student ratio status. Have you heard of any talks?

Oh by the way, thank you so much for you honesty. The insight you provided is exactly what I'm needing to hear but I'm really hoping to hear from others as well. I've see there have been several views to my question but only two responses. I'm really hoping to receive a variety of inputs.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
So suprascooby22, I've heard talks that there may be rezoning coming in the future that could effect both Hillgrove and McEachern student ratio status. Have you heard of any talks?

Oh by the way, thank you so much for you honesty. The insight you provided is exactly what I'm needing to hear but I'm really hoping to hear from others as well. I've see there have been several views to my question but only two responses. I'm really hoping to receive a variety of inputs.
I havent heard anything concrete about rezoning. Me and my wife moved our kids out of Hillgroves district earlier this year so whatever they do wont affect us. We choose to buy in Harrison's district because it is far and away the best school in the area with the least chance of turning to a completely different demographic in the next few years. I truly think in the next five years Hillgrove with be the exact same as McEachern. Maybe re-districting with help this or maybe it will hasten it. Only time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta