Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 07:34 PM

48 posts, read 167,357 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I was born and raised in Seattle, went to college in Washington, and have worked here a few years since graduating, and it is a great city, but I am incredibly bored of it, having lived here my entire life. I'm looking for a big change in atmosphere, including warmer weather, not to mention a little cheaper cost of living. I've done some research, and think I may like Atlanta. I have visited before and really liked it, and I like the southeast region as a whole.

I'm an accountant with a CPA license and I have spent most of my career so far working in a corporate environment. I'm currently working with a recruiter in the Atlanta area, and she sees a lot of promise in me, but the main hurdle we are facing is me being in Seattle. I have the financial resources to fly myself down, but companies are still hesitant, and that could end up being very pricey for me. My lease is up in 3 months and I'm thinking of quitting my current job and picking up and moving down at that time. I am single with no commitments, financial or personal, that will hinder me from leaving Seattle. I also have ample cash in the bank to support me for well over a year if I wasn't working.

Most of the positions my recruiter is matching me to pay in the mid to high 50's, and so I feel like I would be able to live fairly comfortably in Atlanta. I'd prefer to live somewhere within the city where I can be close to lots of activity (nightlife, music, culture, anywhere you can meet people), but I am not sure what the best neighborhoods are. I've done some research, but I was hoping I could get some advice from locals as to what the best neighborhoods are and any general advice for making such a big change and moving to Atlanta.

1. Budget - Probably up to 800, but could go higher. mainly looking at apartments
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Probably a condo or apartment. Since I may not have a job when/if I move, I will probably live somewhere month to month until I find employment.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Commute
4. Children(public school vs. private) No kids or wife
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two. Prefer urban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Would be nice but not too important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Younger people, preferably lower crime, nightlife, music, lots of activity

I thought I'd also mention that I'm caucasian, and coming from a city that has a much lower percentage of minorities than Atlanta, I'm not sure if that will be an issue. I'm not racist at all and prefer diversity. I'm just not sure how much of a shock it would be to me.

Thanks,

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 08:09 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom8503 View Post
Hi guys,

Most of the positions my recruiter is matching me to pay in the mid to high 50's, and so I feel like I would be able to live fairly comfortably in Atlanta. I'd prefer to live somewhere within the city where I can be close to lots of activity (nightlife, music, culture, anywhere you can meet people), but I am not sure what the best neighborhoods are. I've done some research, but I was hoping I could get some advice from locals as to what the best neighborhoods are and any general advice for making such a big change and moving to Atlanta.

1. Budget - Probably up to 800, but could go higher. mainly looking at apartments
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Probably a condo or apartment. Since I may not have a job when/if I move, I will probably live somewhere month to month until I find employment.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Would be nice but not too important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Younger people, preferably lower crime, nightlife, music, lots of activity

I thought I'd also mention that I'm caucasian, and coming from a city that has a much lower percentage of minorities than Atlanta, I'm not sure if that will be an issue. I'm not racist at all and prefer diversity. I'm just not sure how much of a shock it would be to me.

Thanks,

Tom
The Emory/North Decatur area would be one option--zipcode 30329.
30 minutes to downtown/centrally located to I85 in case your job is located in Buckhead or the Perimeter area --also business centers. MARTA accessible--take a bus to Lindbergh station or park/ride. Safe, young professionals, 10 minutes from VA Highland--restaurants, shopping etc. Numerous apartments/other housing options in the area.

Contact Pro Move apartment locator service.
http://www.promove.com/

ETA: Scan this thread for FYI --Perimeter area and I posted some suggestions about 30329 and other areas.
Moving to Atlanta, need help finding an apartment

Old 08-31-2010, 07:20 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,728 times
Quote:
Hi guys,

I was born and raised in Seattle, went to college in Washington, and have worked here a few years since graduating, and it is a great city, but I am incredibly bored of it, having lived here my entire life. I'm looking for a big change in atmosphere, including warmer weather, not to mention a little cheaper cost of living. I've done some research, and think I may like Atlanta. I have visited before and really liked it, and I like the southeast region as a whole.

I'm an accountant with a CPA license and I have spent most of my career so far working in a corporate environment. I'm currently working with a recruiter in the Atlanta area, and she sees a lot of promise in me, but the main hurdle we are facing is me being in Seattle. I have the financial resources to fly myself down, but companies are still hesitant, and that could end up being very pricey for me. My lease is up in 3 months and I'm thinking of quitting my current job and picking up and moving down at that time. I am single with no commitments, financial or personal, that will hinder me from leaving Seattle. I also have ample cash in the bank to support me for well over a year if I wasn't working.

Thanks,

Tom

From what you have said, I don't think it would advisable to move.

I'm sure many unemployed folks would jump at the chance to have your job, and yet you want to quit without knowing what is on the horizon job-wise.

You are certainly not alone in your job dissatisfaction. A good percentage of people are dissatisfied with their jobs. Lots!

But many of them realize that they're essentially caught between a rock and hard place. Jobs are not plentiful in the worst economic environment in 80-years, and it's better to have a steady paycheck than possibly no paycheck.

You may be able to weather a year being unemployed, but that scenario sets up a series of hurdles:

1. With each passing day, your job skills are probably evaporating. "Use it or lose it."

2. After a year being unemployed, you would most likely be willing to accept a much lower salary just to have a job. Consequently making up that lost ground might take a long time. Years!

You're still very young and you have many years ahead of you. Enjoy life as much as you can and good luck to you.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:33 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,050,016 times
I did the same move from Washington State in 2007 and landed a job in accounting after I got here. Given your field and experience I say go for it. At a minimum you should be able to pick up temp work until you land the job you want. Its very hard to get interviews until you are here.

Many will advise you otherwise because of the economy but you are in a good field and have experience to where it will not be easy but is very doable.

I would think you would like the Midtown area since you want to be close to all the city offers.

PM me if you want further insight since I made a similar move and work in the same field.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:10 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
It may be a surprise initially if you're not used to a majority minority city but it shouldn't be a problem.

I say go for it. There's always room for a bright, educated young man and now is the best time in your life to explore the world.

Welcome South, brother!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta