Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,214 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm a southeastern native relocating to Atlanta from L.A. and had a couple of questions.

My new office is in Alpharetta and I've read that if you do commute, an Atlanta to Alpharetta commute is the lesser of the two evils. Would anyone compare any part of the commute to the 405 on a Friday afternoon (read: parking lot)? There is a possibility that I could work earlier hours (7:00 - 3:30). Would that make any difference in my commute, especially the afternoon portion?

I'm a single gal in my 30s and one of the things I love the most about where I live now is how pedestrian-friendly it is. I don't need to walk everywhere but if I commute for work the last thing I want to do is drive more than I have to for the basics as well as socializing.

I am leaning towards VA-HI but wanted to know if I am overlooking other areas, especially between Atlanta and Alpharetta. I recently read that Roswell has a pedestrian-friendly downtown but is it good for singles? I'm looking to rent a 1BR for about $650 and I feel I could find something safe in any of these areas so I'm not worried about that.

I appreciate your feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 09:16 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,500,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiGal View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm a southeastern native relocating to Atlanta from L.A. and had a couple of questions.

My new office is in Alpharetta and I've read that if you do commute, an Atlanta to Alpharetta commute is the lesser of the two evils. Would anyone compare any part of the commute to the 405 on a Friday afternoon (read: parking lot)? There is a possibility that I could work earlier hours (7:00 - 3:30). Would that make any difference in my commute, especially the afternoon portion?

I'm a single gal in my 30s and one of the things I love the most about where I live now is how pedestrian-friendly it is. I don't need to walk everywhere but if I commute for work the last thing I want to do is drive more than I have to for the basics as well as socializing.

I am leaning towards VA-HI but wanted to know if I am overlooking other areas, especially between Atlanta and Alpharetta. I recently read that Roswell has a pedestrian-friendly downtown but is it good for singles? I'm looking to rent a 1BR for about $650 and I feel I could find something safe in any of these areas so I'm not worried about that.

I appreciate your feedback
Town of Roswell -- the older walkable neighborhoods......

I would be able to make Roswell work as a single--it is generally considered more of a family oriented community. The Roswell United Methodist Church had/has a good singles program--and there are many recreational options in the area. Scan the thread for more FYI on Roswell.

As for finding an apt for $650 in Va Highland---good luck with that. Contact Pro Move Apt locator service.
http://atlanta.promove.com/

Thread by poster from Long Beach, CA--working in Alpharetta--considering intown ATL>>>
Culture, Arts, Great Schools, and a Safe & a Beautiful 'hood?

"Commuting to Alpharetta from intown is not going to be pretty. You might want to take a peek around downtown Roswell or maybe Sandy Springs to see if that would be a good compromise. It's not as hip and urban as the neighborhoods discussed above, but it's much less suburban than Alpharetta. Unfortunately, I don't know very much about schools in those areas so hopefully someone else can chime in on that."

Thoughts on metro Atlanta>>>
If you could live anywhere in the Atlanta metro area...

I cannot compare ?a commute on the 405?--never lived in LA. I can tell you that the reverse commute from intown ATL to Alpharetta is somewhat easier than Alpharetta to Atlanta. I wouldn't care for it. From VA Highland---I suppose you would get on 400 at Sidney Marcus Blvd--Briarcliff Rd, La Vista Rd to Cheshire Bridge and head north. The earlier the better, jmo.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 09-01-2010 at 09:36 AM..

Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,398,397 times
Having been on the 405 plenty of times, Atlanta's traffic does not even come close to that. On the worst day, with a multi-car accident in the rain with multiple fatalities, traffic here is about the same as the everyday ride on the 405.

The ride to Alpharetta from VA-HI wouldn't be all that bad, and before 7am and before 4pm it'd be even better. It's still probably a 30 minute ride though, since you'll likely be spending some time on the surface streets getting to/from 400.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:14 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,025,920 times
Commuting from Atlanta to Alpharetta is easy because it's the reverse commute. Only bad thing is you have to pay a 50 cent toll at 400. You will run into traffic at 285/400 but it should lighten after you past 285.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 AM

927 posts, read 2,227,387 times
Shi Gal, I would consider the Lindbergh area. An easy hop to the 400 (which takes you to Alpharetta), nice apartments in a pedestrian friendly area with nightlife, shopping, and every-day essentials within walking distance, including a MARTA station in the midst of it.

My only disclaimer is that Lindbergh has been recently built up, so it feels more manufactured than more established neighborhoods in downtown and midtown.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:56 AM

72 posts, read 174,936 times
If you are moving to Atlanta and gay I would suggest living in town or "itp"inside the perimeter. Atlanta is a gay friendly city. You may have trouble with a 650.00 per month budget you might need to increase your budget to get into a prime in town area. VA highlands is very nice it is a mostly families.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:43 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,823,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilag View Post
Commuting from Atlanta to Alpharetta is easy because it's the reverse commute. Only bad thing is you have to pay a 50 cent toll at 400. You will run into traffic at 285/400 but it should lighten after you past 285.
Getting from Virginia-Highland to GA 400 is the tricky part.

And in Atlanta the "reverse" commute is not always what you think it might be. For instance, after 4 pm you don't want to get on 400 southbound once you pass the Buckhead Loop. As I mentioned in another thread, only 15% of commutes in Atlanta are from the suburbs to the city (and that includes all parts of the city of Atlanta). 75% of our commuting is suburb to suburb.

As to the OP's situation, I wouldn't overlook the Perimeter area. Not very walkable yet but it's getting there.

Take a look at Buckhead, too. There are scads of older apartments and you might find something close to your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta