Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 02:40 PM

513 posts, read 1,632,382 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Atlanta for 18 years and love it here. But all those years were spent as a single or married with no kids and all four of my past living situations inside 285. Baby number one was downloaded six months ago and thoughts have turned towards a future move. We purchased a nice, new home in Scottdale 4.5 years ago (between Clarkston and Avondale Estates). When we bought the house we realized we'd probably want to move one day for a better school disctrict and that is still the case. In the meantime we've worked up a little bit of equity as well.

My frustration comes to play in trying to decide between ranch houses inside 285 or pretty new houses waaay up north (Suwanee for example). I work downtown and would be more than disgusted with that drive to work, even with my non-rush hour work sked. [Dang you MARTA... you should be ALL over this city by now].

So, I'm trying to figure out where best to throw $350k towards a home with decent schools. We have relatives in Suwanee & Hamilton Mill so I'm considering from Dunwoody over to Tucker and anything inside 285 in that area. Norcross would have been a top pick 22 years ago... how sad what has happened over there. Strongly considering the Lakeside High School district. Yeah, $350k isn't going to go that far.

I know it might seem strange talking about this with such a small child, but I want to know all my options because I really want to make this next move fairly permanent. And I feel like venting just a little about how the school situation will probably put us into a house we aren't crazy about or a commute that stinks it up. I've gotten spoiled by Dekalb Avenue to downtown. Make me a rich man and I'm headed to Lake Claire w/out ever starting this post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 03:26 PM

I'm a bit long-winded at times.... sorry! But I am actually a little curious about Norcross having mentioned it. Peachtree Corners area. I just read some info about Simpsonwood, Pinckneyville and Norcross High School and was a little bit surprised by some of the positive spin on these schools. I had gotten the impression Norcross High had dropped in quality over the years. Is this not true?

Old 06-30-2007, 05:18 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Norcross High School is not a bad school. In fact, it is a pretty good school. It has an IB programme and is well respected. It was one of the first diverse schools in Gwinnett and I think it took a lot of unnecessary bashing as some people fled, but many stayed and more came and the school is just fine. Additionally, most of Gwinnetts schools are getting more diverse by the day. In fact, I have a frriend who says that many of Gwinnett's schools have turned to Norcross High and Pickneyville middle for training in how to handle diversity.

People love Simpson elementary school as well.

These are big schools.

In your own community, do you know if you are eligible for International Commmunity School, a charter school that may be moving into the soon to be empty Forest Hills Elementary? Of course, admission is by lottery so it is hard to count on, but if you don't want to move, then that might be a possibility.

In my opinion, DeKalb as a system, is not as strong as other metro systems. There is a joke among those of us who are active at the county level-- which is thank goodness for Clayton County, as the City of Atlanta now routinely outscores DeKalb. Many of the buildings in DeKalb are in horrible shape and the growth in the southern end of the county makes it impossible to catch up with the maintance and classroom needs. Without a doubt, other systems are better run.

That said, as I always say, commute matters -- no matter how good the school is, if the parent is commuting hours each day, instead of spending time with their children, the school will be much less effective.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:00 PM

6 posts, read 19,386 times
My husband and I are in the same boat w/ a 6 1/2 month old and living in a small ranch in Decatur. We love it here and swore we would make it work w/ the schools, but unfortunately Dekalb County is not on the same page and I am getting frustrated w/ how they spend the money as a county so...I feel your pain. We are actually looking at E. Cobb/Roswell area, but our jobs might be up in that area so, we wouldn't have the commute. We thought about Lakeside district as well, but the only homes that pull up when we search online are <500,000 crazy!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:24 AM

314 posts, read 1,277,865 times
Peachtree Corners is nice, if very generic and bland, but the Norcross school district is really pretty good...but Holcomb Bridge, Spalding, Peachtree ind, etc are the only real arteries to drive down, so everyone is on them...thus awful traffic.

Unless you work in one of the tech parks around the area, I woundn't reccomend living there if you have to drive in town for sure, unless sitting in traffic does not bother you then go for it! It is a nice area.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:43 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
I wouldn't bother worrying about high schools yet. You have an infant. By the time your kids are in high school, the great school district you THOUGHT you moved to might have gone down the tubes. If I were you I'd be looking for good elementary schools.

Considering immigration, insane population growth and the fact that nobody is willing to buy a house and stay put for more than a few years anymore, you can't count on ANY neighborhood to be in ten years what it is today.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Considering immigration, insane population growth and the fact that nobody is willing to buy a house and stay put for more than a few years anymore, you can't count on ANY neighborhood to be in ten years what it is today.
That's true. It's hard for me to think like that because I really want to purchase a home and stay there forever. That bucks the trend, but I'm in my early 40's and would love to hit retirement with a home paid off (and my massive 401k! ) I wish I had borrowed money from every relative 10 years ago and purchased a home in Candler Park or Lake Claire. Now I'd need to hit up every relative and half the city of Atlanta! Seriously, I get a little bummed when I think about these areas that were more affordable 10-15 years ago and are now way out of my zone. Heck, I'm lucky I bought this house in Scottdale 5 years ago or I might not have been able to afford it today.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:29 PM

60 posts, read 323,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerun View Post
My husband and I are in the same boat w/ a 6 1/2 month old and living in a small ranch in Decatur. We love it here and swore we would make it work w/ the schools, but unfortunately Dekalb County is not on the same page and I am getting frustrated w/ how they spend the money as a county so...I feel your pain. We are actually looking at E. Cobb/Roswell area, but our jobs might be up in that area so, we wouldn't have the commute. We thought about Lakeside district as well, but the only homes that pull up when we search online are <500,000 crazy!
Aren't Decatur city schools pretty good? And Fernbank within Dekalb is supposed to be just fine (or is the entire Dekalb system the pitts?).

Old 07-09-2007, 04:54 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,159 times
Default Decatur

City of Decatur schools are some of the best in the state... you gotta live in the city limits though, which is expensive, though not as much as Candler Park, etc.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:58 PM

481 posts, read 2,822,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerun View Post
We are actually looking at E. Cobb/Roswell area, but our jobs might be up in that area so, we wouldn't have the commute. We thought about Lakeside district as well, but the only homes that pull up when we search online are <500,000 crazy!
Not sure what you mean by that, there are plenty of houses above and below 500k in Lakeside district, overall not that different from East Cobb/Roswell (a little cheaper overall). I just did some searches:

Lakeside High
Less than $250k - 47 houses
$250-$500k - 256 houses
$500k-$999k - 116 houses
Over $1 million - 34 houses

Walton High
Less than $250k - 22 houses
$250-$500k - 244 houses
$500k-$999k - 209 houses
Over $1 million - 88 houses

Roswell High
Less than $250k - 110 houses
$250-$500k - 357 houses
$500k-$999k - 187 houses
Over $1 million - 94 houses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta