Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 09:44 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
There is a lot of back and forth going on here & it's interesting to note the details in the discussion & points of view. As has been mentioned here already, this is not the first time in fairly recent history that Chicago O'Hare has captured the "world's busiest" label in terms of the number of flight operations, and as happened the last time it took that title, there was much back and forth between Atlanta & Chicago civic boosters on the same flight operations & passenger volume points. What the final data will say, which is yet to be finalized apparently, much less what the data of next year reveal, well...who can say?

However, given my memory of how the title of the "World's Busiest Airport" was popularly described & awarded for many years, what's now going on is akin to a case of the goal posts being moved in view of how the FLIGHT OPERATIONS aspect is now so heavily ballyhooed & promoted by boosters of O'Hare.

Supporting my goal posts analogy is the fact that during my youth in the Midwest, we of that general region often took a measure of pride in the accomplishments of our largest regional city which was truly a powerhouse on a national level, i.e. Chicago. In those days, Chicago's O'Hare took the title of "World's Busiest Airport" and held onto it for many years. But, back then there was NEVER* any mention of it reigning as the champion in terms of flight operations but rather what was ALWAYS discussed & bragged on was that it led in PASSENGER VOLUME. *(except perhaps buried in the details found in air travel industry magazines & reports). In other words, the much discussed underpinning for the title & bragging point was based on PASSENGER VOLUME.

Now that the passenger title is out of reach for O'Hare, Chicago boosters have moved the goal posts so as to crow about being busiest in FLIGHT OPERATIONS. It's just not as important a label or title as what was long used as the criteria for establishing the location of the "world's busiest airport". Changing the basis criteria for determining which is the "World's Busiest Airport" at this point in time seems more like cheating at the goal post.
I'm the only one boasting O'Hare's capture per the FAA. No one else .... Nothing is out of reach. Apparently you boast Hartsfield is untouchable ....

Chicago or any city's boasters .... cannot move the FAA's goalpost. Kinda ridiculous. I only used current links again RELEASED Data TO THE MEDIA by the FAA and Title.

Fight with the FAA criteria. Again, if O'Hare completes its expansion nearing finalizing choosing 5-finalist designs for it. Then construction can begin. But years to complete. But it proves a older smaller limited to expansions airport.... can compete still. It's still even adding direct routes even around the world as I noted.

No one should see Hartsfield as untouchable by any other airport ... not merely O'Hare. Delta s the 3rd carrier at O'Hare too. They also get additional gates in the new plan by getting another existing terminal. UNITED, AMERICAN and DELTA had to approve this expansion for O'Hare and ALL AGREE. Delta held out at first. It felt The other two got unfair advantage. But was convinced to agree. They after are paying for much of it in fees.

But O'Hare could loose the title next year? Has nothing to do with boasting on C-D or a common poster or even a city moving a government agency's goalpost. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chicago's expansion Plans call for a "International GLOBAL Terminal that only a handful of cities in the World like Dubai and Hong Kong. currently have,

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/chi...expansion-plan

As it is going to compete. Either way ..... both airports are successful. O'Hare was just held beck for decades by neighborhood residents around it.

Last edited by DavePa; 02-07-2019 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 06:54 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,650 times
Chicago and Atlanta rank high due to them both being strategic hubs but really L.A. is the busiest airspace in the world because of MULTIPLE air travel options - LAX, Long Beach, Burbank and Ontario airports. And if Chicago didn't have Midway where Southwest Airlines flies, O'Hare might actually surpass HJ in Atlanta. I remember way back in the 1990s, a study was done and recommended a second commercial airport be built in Gwinnett county but that municipality was all about NIMBY and blocked the airport. In hindsight, it was a BAD decision, both economically and from a convenience standpoint, given growth patterns in north Georgia. The BILLIONS of dollars in new infrastructure that would have been pumped into Gwinnett are lost forever!

Old 02-09-2019, 03:19 PM

16,689 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Chicago and Atlanta rank high due to them both being strategic hubs but really L.A. is the busiest airspace in the world because of MULTIPLE air travel options - LAX, Long Beach, Burbank and Ontario airports. And if Chicago didn't have Midway where Southwest Airlines flies, O'Hare might actually surpass HJ in Atlanta. I remember way back in the 1990s, a study was done and recommended a second commercial airport be built in Gwinnett county but that municipality was all about NIMBY and blocked the airport. In hindsight, it was a BAD decision, both economically and from a convenience standpoint, given growth patterns in north Georgia. The BILLIONS of dollars in new infrastructure that would have been pumped into Gwinnett are lost forever!
List of Busiest City Airport Systems
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...senger_traffic

Old 02-09-2019, 03:22 PM

16,689 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Atlanta needs to build a second airport at Dobbins.

*3 runways
*International (simple, vacation-oriented, O+D international: Caribbean, Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, Central America)
*Call it: Martin Luther King, Jr. Atlanta International Airport (MLK)

Old 02-10-2019, 08:22 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Don't forget Palm Springs for the LA area. Many in the eastern part of the Inland Empire (Riverside/San Bernardino) use it. Handles over 2 million passengers annually and growing.

I don't know why ATL doesn't have a second airport in the northside. Is it to continue bragging rights? The metro population is more than large enough to support one.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:29 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I don't know why ATL doesn't have a second airport in the northside.
Delta

https://www.aircargonews.net/news/ai...agreement.html

And I don't get the obsession with having a 2nd airport. What's so bad about Hartsfield-Jackson?

Old 02-10-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Delta

And I don't get the obsession with having a 2nd airport. What's so bad about Hartsfield-Jackson?
And it can be expanded as needed probably never having obstacles to stop it. Super-costly to do a new one to be even smaller from scratch. Atlanta was sure-lucky it got Hartsfield and the foresight of its planners.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:38 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Delta

Yeah I figured. And more for convenience. Why have a region of 6M+ all travel to one spot to fly out, especially if they live north of Buckhead (or even better...north of the Perimeter). I mean DFW has a more impressive layout the ATL with more room for growth, but there's still Love Field in Dallas and another airport in Fort Worth that'll start seeing some domestic flights very soon. Atlanta is the only metro of its size with just one airport and those approaching the size of Atlanta are building up their secondary airports (like Phoenix).

Old 02-10-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah I figured. And more for convenience. Why have a region of 6M+ all travel to one spot to fly out, especially if they live north of Buckhead (or even better...north of the Perimeter). I mean DFW has a more impressive layout the ATL with more room for growth, but there's still Love Field in Dallas and another airport in Fort Worth that'll start seeing some domestic flights very soon. Atlanta is the only metro of its size with just one airport and those approaching the size of Atlanta are building up their secondary airports (like Phoenix).
A very costly convenience a decade probably planning to completion. Merely to supplement a airport that has no limits in expansions as some cities airports did .... or they merely kept their older smaller airports too.

In Conservative states more then not...... seems far more would want expressway expanding to more transit? Over a new smaller airport from scratch ...... while still spending billions in Hartsfield upgrades and expansions.... no?

Sure Atlanta could have it all. But think taxes taxes....

Old 02-10-2019, 08:55 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
With all due respect, the bolded sounds like a personal problem and minor inconvenience.

If you have to fly out of the airport frequently, you shouldn't live so far away from it.

And those developments are good for Dallas and Phoenix. But Atlanta's circumstances are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta