Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:33 PM

957 posts, read 3,357,270 times

Advertisements

Though the case shiller numbers are down in Atlanta, these six areas are appreciating double digits. I think the bottom in real estate prices are now behind us in these six locations that i track. I am starting to see new home builders raise their prices and some bidding competition going on these areas, which did not really exist in '09 and '10. I am quite suprised to see how strong Milton is.

The Atlanta metro area is down 16.2% YOY median home price $125,400

Alpharetta 12.3% appreciation YOY median home price: $267,800
Johns Creek 12.3% appreciation YOY median home price: $284,200
S. Forsyth 11.4% appreciation YOY median home price: $259,600
Milton 15.4% appreciation YOY median home price: $369,600
Roswell 13% appreciation YOY median home price: $251,200
Sandy Springs 9.3% appreciation YOY median home price: $335,500

moderators, can you please change my thread title as "Home Prices are starting to appreciate in these six locations?"

Last edited by mrpanda; 03-13-2011 at 08:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 01:10 AM

906 posts, read 1,746,390 times
Interesting. Can you post a link for the source of these data?

Old 03-14-2011, 01:32 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
asking price or sales price? days on market? not mentioned. surprise.

if one of those mansions sells in those areas you've posted, it will push the median up.. duh!

Old 03-14-2011, 05:32 AM

957 posts, read 3,357,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
Interesting. Can you post a link for the source of these data?
The source of this data is from Zillow.com.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:23 PM

324 posts, read 877,433 times
It's temporary...don't think that the economy will be improving or anything.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:48 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
And you base this off what? All the macro data seem to indicate you're incorrect. Foreclosures are down, employment is up, tax revenue is up, and consumer confidence is up. Are they all back to perfect levels...absolutely not, but just about everyone (except you) seems to agree that the recovery is real and gaining steam. Oil prices and the current tragedy in Japan could impact things, but those types of externalities are always a risk.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:47 AM

479 posts, read 703,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And you base this off what? All the macro data seem to indicate you're incorrect. Foreclosures are down, employment is up, tax revenue is up, and consumer confidence is up. Are they all back to perfect levels...absolutely not, but just about everyone (except you) seems to agree that the recovery is real and gaining steam. Oil prices and the current tragedy in Japan could impact things, but those types of externalities are always a risk.
Ready for another go, Neil?

Banks are artificially freezing foreclosures due to fear of lawsuits. They are not down "naturally", and its only temporary.

The housing market will continue its downward trend for a while longer. A double dip is likely.

Everyone does not agree the recovery is real. Government bailouts, spending stimuli and absurdly low interest rates are all contributing to uncertainty that the recovery is for real. That is why the stock market has paused of late (and today may be breaking down).

Old 03-15-2011, 07:52 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Ready for another go, Neil?

Banks are artificially freezing foreclosures due to fear of lawsuits. They are not down "naturally", and its only temporary.

The housing market will continue its downward trend for a while longer. A double dip is likely.

Everyone does not agree the recovery is real. Government bailouts, spending stimuli and absurdly low interest rates are all contributing to uncertainty that the recovery is for real. That is why the stock market has paused of late (and today may be breaking down).
I'm always ready for another go. I love you folks who see doom, gloom, and conspiracy around every corner. I remember all the predictions two years ago of the Dow @ 4,000 and people on bread lines. The stock market recovery was just a "bear rally" and so forth. The market pause right now is due to the spike in oil cause by the African and middle east rebellions, and now the natural disaster in Japan.

Gov't spending and borrowing is a drag on GDP long term, and any short term benefit from the so-called "stimulus" has been minimal at best.

Have some real sources to back up your assertions?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 AM

479 posts, read 703,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I'm always ready for another go. I love you folks who see doom, gloom, and conspiracy around every corner. I remember all the predictions two years ago of the Dow @ 4,000 and people on bread lines. The stock market recovery was just a "bear rally" and so forth. The market pause right now is due to the spike in oil cause by the African and middle east rebellions, and now the natural disaster in Japan.

Gov't spending and borrowing is a drag on GDP long term, and any short term benefit from the so-called "stimulus" has been minimal at best.

Have some real sources to back up your assertions?
You are confusing rational analysis with paranoia. I have never talked about the end of the world, or gone anywhere near the foolishness of secret conspiracy talk.

Check out the charts from the Great Depression. There was a huge rally after the collapse. And then stocks went back down. It took 25 years for the market to get back to its pre-collapse high.

Im not predicting that for the stock market. But housing prices were like the technology bubble.

Like the dot coms, the housing bubble was built on froth annd fraud. It will take many years (decades) for it to fully recover, especially with all the gubmnt intervention.

(nasdaq peaked out at ~5,000. Ten years later its barely over half that)

The stimuil has stoked future expectations more than actual econmic activity. That is the issue.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
It already is improving. Hopefully someone will pick up that rock you've been living under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta