Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:56 PM

21 posts, read 66,217 times

Advertisements

So, I've been looking and looking and looking, but it is almost like a full time job trying to find a good, quiet, updated apartment in this town that is affordable without it looking like the ghetto and having a relatively poor quality of neighbors. I have gone so far as writing up some excel spreadsheets to help organize my search, but I am honestly exhausted. Compared to the north, the leasing agents down here talk as if they are trying to sell you a car like some slick salesman throwing numbers at you and offering limited time deals. Seriously? In the north, the leasing agent would show you an apartment, let you know the details/specifics, the end...if you wanted it, great, if not, oh well. No number crunching, etc etc.

I moved to Atlanta last November and ended up staying with family up until August when i decided to move out and grab a place of my own. I was looking for a decent place, the was relatively inexpensive, quiet, in a convenient area, and somewhat in a forest-like setting. After getting tired of looking at apartments after the 5th place I saw, I moved to jasmine at sandy springs, and boy is this place terrible. It seems like I moved right into the ghetto.

Apartmentratings.com was pretty much my best friend, and still is. And after reading bad review, after bad review, after bad review, I figured southerners were just picky about their apartments since almost EVERY review I read was bad on every single apartment I looked at.
Now I'm at this place on the borderline or breaking my lease and paying the penalty just to move out. Although, my current lease is up in the winter months, and I hear apartments are cheaper during that time, so maybe I can just wait it out.

Can anyone recommend a place for a 1br apartment 650-750 max (this price including the water, trash, sewer, etc) in the Marrieta, Smyrna, Vinings, maybe even Buckhead areas? The lower the rent the better as I would like extra $$ to put aside for a house.
I am a single male in my twenties and want to be close enough to activities, but far enough for peace and quiet away from the hustle and bustle.

Thanks a lot everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 02:01 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
'Can anyone recommend a place for a 1br apartment 650-750 max (this price including the water, trash, sewer, etc) in the Marrieta, Smyrna, Vinings, maybe even Buckhead areas? The lower the rent the better as I would like extra $$ to put aside for a house.
I am a single male in my twenties and want to be close enough to activities, but far enough for peace and quiet away from the hustle and bustle.'

**If you want to try an 'Advanced Search'--click Search at the top R and then Advanced. Enter relevant key words and the system will retrieve previous threads.
ie---
A previous thread>>>
Safe Apartment Complexes in Sandy Springs/Dunwoody

~~~~~~
<A poster said:>
Here are our assessments:
Archstone Perimeter Park: Good rent prices, nice complex. Floor plans have a lot of angles so there is not a lot of space. Little pantry space in kitchen. Bedroom would not have a lot of room to fit a king size bed.

Dunwoody Place: Lovely complex and grounds. Lots of long-time residents. Very large floor plans. Nice bonuses. Easily can fit a King Size bed in Master. Large closet space.

Hawthorne Gates: Smaller community. Nice size apartments. Angles in apartments make space tough to deal with.

Colonial Grand at Mount Vernon: Older looking apartments. Poor quality and older appliances. Turned off.

Gables Metropolitan: Huge complex >1100 units. Nice apartments, new applaiances. Little pantry/storage space. Near top of price range.

Ashford Park: Nice size apartments. New cabinetry and appliances. Lots of storage space.

Savannah at Park Place: Nice complex but starting to show its age. Full size Washer/dryers included in all apartments. Prices are good.

The Heights at Perimeter Center: New and beuatiful resort-type complex. Beautiful courtyards and pools. At high end of price range though.

You could also contact Pro Move apt locator service.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:04 PM

Thank you, sir

Old 10-08-2010, 03:32 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,205 times
In the areas you mentioned, $750 would be a starting point in the areas you mentioned for a nice, updated, quiet, safe community.

And just out of curiousity what makes the Jasmine so bad. Do u live in the Hills or the Fountains? Did you pay for the more upgraded apartment? I know for a fact the rent is dirt cheap over there and thats a super convienient location. That complex and most apartments in Northern Sandy Springs are overwhelmingly young and black now. I am guessing you did not visit the complex before renting and did not notice. For your price range I think it would be unrealstic to live in a close in area and not have to sacrifice anything whatsoever...

Old 10-08-2010, 05:28 PM

262 posts, read 637,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
For your price range I think it would be unrealstic to live in a close in area and not have to sacrifice anything whatsoever...
I think so, too. If I were OP I would reevaluate and see if either a) I could live without bells and whistles or b) I could live ITP/further out. I know which one I would choose...

I have never lived in a complex in Atlanta. I am not sure why you would have to when there are so many awesome duplexes, garage apartments, etc. etc. in all of the great neighborhoods like Midtown, VaHi, Poncey Highlands, Druid Hills. You may not find granite countertops or jetted tubs, but there's lots of character and being accessible to everything is worth it to me.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:48 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,522 times
How much space do you want?

Old 10-08-2010, 07:05 PM

216 posts, read 413,548 times
I just moved from Avistele at Glenridge a couple of months ago, but only because I don't have a car and MARTA eliminated the all day bus route that ran by the complex. Check them out. The complex is mixed, but predominately white I think (at least that's what it looked like to me). Maintenance is very fast, the office staff is very professional, the grounds are kept up very well, and there are video cameras at the gates. The complex is smack dab between I-285 and GA-400, so it takes about 5 minutes to get to each, and 7-8 minutes from the Medical Center MARTA station. But, if you want to park and ride, you have to go a few miles up to the Sandy Springs MARTA station.

DO NOT RELY ON APARTMENTRATINGS.COM! Very few satisfied tenants take the time out to rate their complexes. It's mostly disgruntled folks who are angry because they didn't read their lease, or didn't bother to ask common sense questions before signing their lease, and got caught by "surprise" over something that was clearly spelled out in their lease or an addendum. A lot of the complaints have nothing to do with the complexes themselves, and some people expect management to be miracle workers and mind readers, and fix everything, like noisy neighbors at midnight when the office isn't open and the complainer doesn't have a name, or know the apartment number of the noisemakers.

Management regularly throws mixers and other events for residents, and for those who have kids, they have some kids activities as well. If you have a dog, they even provide the waste bags at points around the property. The pool is salt water, and next to it is an outdoor lounge area with a fireplace, a huge gas grill, and wifi. The clubhouse is very nice, and has a movie room. There are two tennis courts I think, plus a racquetball/handball court. The fitness center is 24/7, and all the equipment works and is name brand. Oh, with your rent you also pay water, trash, and sewer... but you get valet trash service. Gawd, I miss that!

I'm a single female and I never felt unsafe there. The complex is near Roswell Rd, but about a half mile away from it. The section of Glenridge Dr. where the complex is, is a well-off area. When I lived there, there were some car break ins, but thanks to the cameras at the gates, the thieves were soon caught. Residents were immediately notified and given tips on how to try to avoid their cars being targeted. I had to call the police a couple of times due to outside noise disturbances after midnight (drunk and rowdy folks, but no major issues or melees), and the SPPD responded quickly.

I was able to get a 1,000 sq ft apartment with a wood burning fireplace, two balconies, a HUGE walk in closet, and full-size washer and dryer for $702/mo base rent, before the water charges. With water/sewer (fluctuates depending on usage) and trash service, I never paid over $756 a month for rent. I don't know if they have any specials like that running now, but it's very likely that you can find something in the higher end of your range.

I live in an older apartment building in Midtown now. I pay less than I paid at Avistele at Glenridge, but I don't have any of the amenities, either. But, the downgrade was worth it for me because now transportation isn't an issue, and I'm close to just about everything fun to do. Good luck!

Old 10-08-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
In the areas you mentioned, $750 would be a starting point in the areas you mentioned for a nice, updated, quiet, safe community.

And just out of curiousity what makes the Jasmine so bad. Do u live in the Hills or the Fountains? Did you pay for the more upgraded apartment? I know for a fact the rent is dirt cheap over there and thats a super convienient location. That complex and most apartments in Northern Sandy Springs are overwhelmingly young and black now. I am guessing you did not visit the complex before renting and did not notice. For your price range I think it would be unrealstic to live in a close in area and not have to sacrifice anything whatsoever...
I live in The Falls section of Jasmine because I wanted to go with a lower rent payment. I did see the place beforehand...twice. Both times I saw lots of young people hanging out at the pool, having fun, pool parties, etc. I was shown around the place, and I guess since it was during the day time, you dont see a lot of the typical stuff that happens in the complex when everyone isn't at work or something. The quality of the residents in the the Falls is pretty low, and like I said in my original post, pretty much looks like the ghetto at certain times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
How much space do you want?
looking for at least 675 sq ft.
I work two jobs, and I'm barely home. But when i am home, I want enjoy a nice apartment that I work so hard for, you know?

Old 10-08-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
I just moved from Avistele at Glenridge a couple of months ago, but only because I don't have a car and MARTA eliminated the all day bus route that ran by the complex. Check them out. The complex is mixed, but predominately white I think (at least that's what it looked like to me). Maintenance is very fast, the office staff is very professional, the grounds are kept up very well, and there are video cameras at the gates. The complex is smack dab between I-285 and GA-400, so it takes about 5 minutes to get to each, and 7-8 minutes from the Medical Center MARTA station. But, if you want to park and ride, you have to go a few miles up to the Sandy Springs MARTA station.

DO NOT RELY ON APARTMENTRATINGS.COM! Very few satisfied tenants take the time out to rate their complexes. It's mostly disgruntled folks who are angry because they didn't read their lease, or didn't bother to ask common sense questions before signing their lease, and got caught by "surprise" over something that was clearly spelled out in their lease or an addendum. A lot of the complaints have nothing to do with the complexes themselves, and some people expect management to be miracle workers and mind readers, and fix everything, like noisy neighbors at midnight when the office isn't open and the complainer doesn't have a name, or know the apartment number of the noisemakers.

Management regularly throws mixers and other events for residents, and for those who have kids, they have some kids activities as well. If you have a dog, they even provide the waste bags at points around the property. The pool is salt water, and next to it is an outdoor lounge area with a fireplace, a huge gas grill, and wifi. The clubhouse is very nice, and has a movie room. There are two tennis courts I think, plus a racquetball/handball court. The fitness center is 24/7, and all the equipment works and is name brand. Oh, with your rent you also pay water, trash, and sewer... but you get valet trash service. Gawd, I miss that!

I'm a single female and I never felt unsafe there. The complex is near Roswell Rd, but about a half mile away from it. The section of Glenridge Dr. where the complex is, is a well-off area. When I lived there, there were some car break ins, but thanks to the cameras at the gates, the thieves were soon caught. Residents were immediately notified and given tips on how to try to avoid their cars being targeted. I had to call the police a couple of times due to outside noise disturbances after midnight (drunk and rowdy folks, but no major issues or melees), and the SPPD responded quickly.

I was able to get a 1,000 sq ft apartment with a wood burning fireplace, two balconies, a HUGE walk in closet, and full-size washer and dryer for $702/mo base rent, before the water charges. With water/sewer (fluctuates depending on usage) and trash service, I never paid over $756 a month for rent. I don't know if they have any specials like that running now, but it's very likely that you can find something in the higher end of your range.

I live in an older apartment building in Midtown now. I pay less than I paid at Avistele at Glenridge, but I don't have any of the amenities, either. But, the downgrade was worth it for me because now transportation isn't an issue, and I'm close to just about everything fun to do. Good luck!
Thank you for this honest and whole-hearted recommendation
I will definitely check this place out...I'm loving the location so far

EDIT:
I know you said to ignore the apartmentratings.com, but should I be concerned with this review at all?
"The maintance man was caught wacking it in my neighbor's apartment. Do not move here. Numerous sex offenders."

Last edited by greenc51; 10-08-2010 at 09:54 PM..

Old 10-08-2010, 11:29 PM

216 posts, read 413,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenc51 View Post
Thank you for this honest and whole-hearted recommendation
I will definitely check this place out...I'm loving the location so far

EDIT:
I know you said to ignore the apartmentratings.com, but should I be concerned with this review at all?
"The maintance man was caught wacking it in my neighbor's apartment. Do not move here. Numerous sex offenders."
No you shouldn't take it seriously. Don't forget that you can let management know that you don't want maintenance in your apartment when you're not home, unless it's an emergency. They have to honor that.

Anyway, you can always tell the trolls and fake posters because they're always reporting about what happened in somebody else's apartment (supposedly). And, let's be real... since when does a masturbating man equal a sex offender? Seriously?! And even if a maintenance worker was caught masturbating in someone's apartment, does that rise to the level of burglary, sexual assault, or breaking and entering? It certainly is cause for discipline, just because that's not cool at all, but self-pleasure is not against the law, and if he was on a legitimate maintenance call, he was in the apartment lawfully. And, even if it happened, that's just ONE PERSON out of many. You're going to hold the entire apartment complex and management responsible for ONE rogue employee? C'mon, don't fall for that. Don't let a troll psych you out of what might be the perfect place for you. That goes for ANY complex you're looking at.

Avistele at Glenridge is very by the book, and there is a stiff penalty for breaking a lease, and very hefty fines for people not picking up behind their dogs, etc. Avistele at Glenridge is also upscale, and some people are just not used to living in an upscale environment. They try to do the things that they did in their prior complexes, and they're getting caught and fined. Or, they don't know how to pay their rent on time, and have to pay the extra $75 every month and are resentful. These are the people who have problems. The things that management might accept or "work with you" on at other complexes do not exist at Avistele at Glenridge.

I was a good tenant, and NEVER late on my rent. And, you know what? I had a great experience at Avistele at Glenridge. From management to staff to maintenance. Follow the rules (you'll get a handbook), pay your rent on time, and don't abuse your apartment or your neighbors, and you'll have a good experience there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta