Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 07:44 PM

281 posts, read 617,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOfParadise View Post
No offense to those receiving foodstamps but that has never been my story.

I do well without them

Anything that holds THAT much importance to you, will require sacrifice.

Goodl luck.
Sorry, I wasn't implying you were on foodstamps. I do have a problem when people stay home and leech off others. To be honest, I don't think I could stay home and teach multiplication to a ten year old. But I applaud those who can.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:47 PM

117 posts, read 255,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
Maybe a little bored, but I am sick of what's going on in my kids class. I also heard about a knife incident at Springdale involving a fourth-grader this week. That could have been a neighborhood kid, but I doubt it.
it doesnt matter who did, that's crazy! schools these days are scary, not what they used to be, ie., foundations for learning!

i just dont want mine to be part of such things, so while i can, i homeschool. and she still has alot of socializing so shes not isolated! i pray this works out for you and your baby!!!

Old 10-23-2010, 08:04 PM

173 posts, read 471,156 times
I'm not really sure what the point of your original post is. You asked where the kids are coming from. People laid out two possibilities: 1) that the children are included in the school zone and 2) that the students rightfully transferred there. You seem unsatisfied with either explanation. You also seem intent on playing the race card, connecting any negative experience your child is having to race, when it is altogether unclear how that is any way relevant. I actually genuinely feel sad that your kid is being raised in a home corrupted by such pre-1954 mindset, and hope for her sake and ours that she rises above it.

You live in a city where most people were born with darker skin than you. Some are little kids. It's okay. But if it troubles you that much, why live there?

Last edited by Midtownatl; 10-23-2010 at 08:54 PM..

Old 10-23-2010, 08:14 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
Maybe a little bored, but I am sick of what's going on in my kids class. I also heard about a knife incident at Springdale involving a fourth-grader this week. That could have been a neighborhood kid, but I doubt it.
Did you ever hear about Columbine?

Old 10-23-2010, 08:20 PM

281 posts, read 617,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtownatl View Post
I'm not really sure what the point of your original post is. You asked whether the kids are coming from. People laid out two possibilities: 1) that the children are included in the school zone and 2) that the students rightfully transferred there. You seem unsatisfied with either explanation. You also seem intent on playing the race card, connecting any negative experience your child is having to race, when it is altogether unclear how that is any way relevant. I actually genuinely feel sad that your kid is being raised in a home corrupted by such pre-1954 mindset, and hope for her sake and ours that she rises above it.

You live in a city where most people have darker skin than you. It's okay. But if it troubles you that much, why live there?
I just don't see why they would allow transfers into an already overcrowded school. And if they are transfers from a failing school, why do they come to our school and act out? Sit there and do your work like everyone else.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:54 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,846 times
Quote:

<Since I work like hell to pay for this house I bought so my kids could attend good schools, homeschooling is not an option.>

Here in today's America, we are all running out of options
every day, we find that what "used to be", ain't what it is today.
You are
working like hell to pay for your house, probably harder than you had to work when you moved in but then, I'll bet that there
have been many changes that have come since that day, changes in the economy, the neighbors, the schools, the roads, changes in
so many areas of your day to day life. If the schools were instructional or "good" when you moved into the district, chances are, that
any decline in the quality of education is a direct reflection upon the parents who do not get involved beyond a level of complaining that
probably never leaves the respective parent's desktop as more than a frustrated comment posted on an internet forum. Maybe it's the
time for you to think about joining the PTA or to become a candidate for the school board, a time to let your daughter see how an active
parent with a sincere concern, deals with a contemporary issue, set the example that when you are being wronged by the system, stand
up against the system. I would also speculate that there is a good chance that your own daughter would be proud to see you get off of the
couch, put down the bon-bons or the gin and tonic and walk the walk.

<It is sad that one or two bad students can shut down a classroom.>

A student will do almost ANYTHING that you LET them do.
It's a sad day in America when WE as adult parents permit this to happen.
If we were doing the right job parentally, and taking an active role in our child's education, meeting with teachers, administrators, checking
up on the system, perhaps we wouldn't have to feel as though things were out of our control. This is really a responsibility for the parent
who understands that it is well within the nature of an adolescent or a child to gravitate toward whatever direction their peers are moving,
they always seek to identify with others and often, popularity is much more important to them than getting good grades.

<The anti-achievement mentality in some students is also highly seductive and contagious.

Yes, those "anti-achievement" attitudes are rampant these days
and you are correct that there is an element of contagion about these
attitudes. Teenage sex is also seductive and often contagious too, not just in the surrendering of ideals and morals but often contagious as in
social disease, sexually transmitted disease. If we were dealing with a social disease, we'd be counciling our children, discussing the drawbacks
connected with promiscuity at a precarious age, we'd point out the various measures of protection that can be had and at least, warn them of
the consequences, should they be foolish enough to succumb to these youthful urges through the encouragement or even the example of peers.

<I'll probably end up moving somewhere less
expensive and send her to a good private school like many of the parents do around here. I guess East Cobb is an option
>.

Whether you decide to move elsewhere to a place that is less expensive, or to send your daughter to private school ( like many of your peers),
the ball is in your court. If you have taken your plight to city hall or the school board, you've done the right thing, if you can't get satisfaction there,
at least you and your daughter will have tried and it will bring you closer together as well as closer to a resolution. I'm not chiding you about this but
perhaps if you took your focus off of the color of the other student's skin and saw the issue as more of one between performers and non-performers,
you'd be able to concentrate more fully upon just what you CAN do to improve your daughter's education so as to get the golden opportunity to paste
that enviable, soccer-mom bumper sticker, " my child is an honor student at...", right there on the back window of your Chrysler, Town and Country van.

Last edited by LongIslandEddie; 10-23-2010 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: proofread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:13 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,840,814 times
Quote:
You wouldn't happen to be a product of Atlanta Public Schools would you? Your mastery of the English language makes me think you might be.

You wouldnt be a product of the KKK would you ?? Your post makes me think you might be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta