Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:08 AM

67 posts, read 302,029 times

Advertisements

We have relocated to ATL from the Chicago area in the last couple of months. We've been living in a corp. apartment and just recently bought a beautiful home on a little pond/lake. We had the inspection yesterday and the inspector and termite/pest guy indicated that they were seeing a lot of live roaches and I actually saw on the deck. At the end the pest guy said that the house has a "bad bad infestation of american roaches" not unusual in GA but worse than average. I was shocked because it never even occured to me that people live with roaches in a big nice house like this. I asked if it is possible to get rid of them and his response was "Yes.....hopefully...but you will still have them."
What does that mean?!?!? Is this an issue with all homes down here and I just wasn't prepared? Give it to me straight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 08:13 AM

Also if it's not unusual can you get rid of them or should we just walk away?

Old 07-12-2007, 08:15 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,196 times
Have the Sellers exterminate the place, then have a follow up inspection. When I live in DC, our apartment building had no roaches. I was always amazed since people were always moving in and out. They use some sort of gel to keep them away.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:54 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
I've never heard of a situation where extermination is impossible. However, all a roach has to do is slither it's nasty little body through any one of thousands of tiny gaps they can find in the average house.

If you get the place exterminated and cleaned up and buy the house you should walk the perimeter with some caulk and expanding foam and seal up every gap you can find. I never had an infestation, but we used to get some roach visters regularly in one area of the house. I found a small gap on one side of a window, so I sealed the window with caulk (inside and out) and LUCKILY (KNOCK ON WOOD) we haven't had any more roaches (although I still find one from time to time in my basement...usually dead).

Old 07-12-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
Have the Sellers exterminate the place, then have a follow up inspection. When I live in DC, our apartment building had no roaches. I was always amazed since people were always moving in and out. They use some sort of gel to keep them away.
Well they have refused to do anything and selling the house 'as is'.

I'm patiently waiting for pest control to call me back to answer some more questions that I thought of. Thanks for the reply!

Old 07-12-2007, 10:08 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
In that case I'd walk.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:56 AM

826 posts, read 3,120,196 times
I would walk also. And if its As-Is the roaches could be the least of your problems.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:01 AM

563 posts, read 2,773,247 times
There are way too many houses on the market for you to settle for an as-is house with roaches, in my opinion.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:47 PM

214 posts, read 1,980,986 times
We had some roaches in our house when we first moved in. We have the "pest guy" come about every month or so and spray the exterior and interior of our house. I rarely see a live roach now (sometimes a dead one outside near the door or something but the spray is pretty strong and gets them) That said, I think because of the unusually dry weather we are having I have seen 2 roaches in my house this past week!!) The one was HUGE (ok- about 2 inches which is the largest I have ever seen!) It was running around my daughter's nursery! (Yes, I killed it!) The other I found the following morning in my kitchen on its back... half dead-obviously impacted by the spray. The pest guy is due to come back any time now so until then I am SO paranoid and never walk barefoot in my house! I also always turn the lights on and wait a minute, scanning the room before I enter!
If the house has that many roaches I would stay away. We did see a few vacant houses when we were looking for a house that had some roaches (although they were dead). The house that you are looking at, is it vacant? Has the air not been on? I think roaches are more prone to come in the house if it is warmer. I don't know. Just a thought. I am not a native to the south so I am just learning the roach thing too!

Last edited by mamamarie; 07-12-2007 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: add something

Old 07-12-2007, 09:56 PM

145 posts, read 598,076 times
I purchased a home that was a rental before I bought it and it was infested with roaches. Before I moved in I covered the floors (all hardwood) and cracks and around faucets... Everywhere I could find or a roach could hide with...

BORIC ACID!!!

It was a miracle. I left it everywhere for about a couple weeks and once I cleaned up the roaches were gone. I've been here over 2 years and haven't seen even 1 roach yet. I found out about this by doing a search online and that is what experts said works. Pest control people won't tell you about it. I may find a cricket or spider every now and then, but no roaches. You can find the boric acid at Home Depot or Dollar General type store too I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: