Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 06:46 PM

33 posts, read 98,968 times

Advertisements

Relocating to georgia.......hopefully the Marietta area can anyone give me some suggestions on which school district to shy away from......do not want to move and then have to move again due to school district...........thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 06:58 AM

304 posts, read 1,431,184 times
Hi,

Marietta can fall under a couple of school districts. The City of Marietta has its own school district (Marietta School District), while the unincorporated areas are in the Cobb County School District (someone please correct me if I have that wrong...this is the way I understand it).

I do not have personal experience with the Marietta School Dist., but have heard it isn't very good. Hopefully someone else can offer info on that. Cobb County's school district is pretty huge, so parts of the district can be good, while others can be not so good. Do you know in what part of Marietta you might relocate?

Here are a few good websites for researching schools:

GreatSchools.net
Schools, High School, Public Schools, School District, Public High Schools - SchoolMatters

Here is Cobb County School District's website:
Cobb County School District Home Page

Here is the City of Marietta's School District website:
Marietta City Schools

Old 06-25-2007, 07:37 PM

33 posts, read 98,968 times
Thanks for the direction.......

Old 11-12-2010, 01:37 PM

8 posts, read 39,411 times
The Pathways Academy is a great school in Marietta, Georgia. It is a private school for students with dyslexia and other language-based learning difficulties. It is a K-6 school also.
Their website is 4010 Canton Road, Marietta, Georgia 30066 « The Pathways Academy

It's also pretty neat they run a dyslexia support network also you can see it here
PATHWAYS ACADEMY - Dyslexia Support Network (http://pathwaysdyslexianetwork.com/ - broken link)

The staff is super supportive and the environment is also extremely nice. I would highly recommend it.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:04 AM

562 posts, read 1,791,540 times
I would look at the major magazines to see where some of the high schools fall. I think it is either Time Magazine or Forbes or US News that ranks them. From what I have seen Walton high school in East Cobb typically is #2 or 3 in the state every year and the other Cobb schools- Pope, Lassiter, arent that far behind. Yes the magazine rankings arent perfect, but the above mentioned websites that everyone parent loves on city-data are dont help a whole lot. Greatschools is deceiving because their 1-10 score just ranks on test scores, with School matters at least giving you a nice breakdown of the school, but once again doesnt help you determine the quality of the teachers or programs offered or how they compare nationally as a whole GA has one of the lowest ranked education systems in the country.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:00 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,894,243 times
The magazine is Newsweek. You can read how they rank the schools here America's Best High Schools: The FAQ - Newsweek. Their method is actually short enough to just quote here, I think:

We take the total number of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate or Cambridge (AICE) tests given at a school each year and divide by the number of seniors graduating in May or June.

It's hard to see this number as lending more insight than the other websites previously mentioned.

As people mentioned above, house addresses with "Marietta" as the city name may be in either the City of Marietta School District or the Cobb County School District. Some of the schools in Cobb County are regarded as among the best in the state, others not so much. I have no specific knowledge about the Marietta schools. On test scores, they don't rate as well as the better Cobb County schools, but as some have suggested, test scores alone is a narrow criterion. Finding good schools for your children in this area is likely to require more research than just determining "which school district to shy away from."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: