Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:01 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

I spend a large part of my free time researching and going on the internet. One thing I am aware of is that metro Atlanta's public transportation system is not that good to say the least. I look at other cities and notice that manyn places have much better transit systems. Not only that, many places have different kinds. Medellin, Colombia(yes, in Colombia) has an aerial tramway. Pittsburgh, Quebec City, and some other places have a form of incline rail. I think by looking at cities across the world and learning from them, Atlanta can become a better city in many ways. I look at it this way: Atlanta has the topography to use incline rails and aerial tramways. Not only that, Atlanta is suppose to be a world-class city. This is one of the ways it can live up to it. I figure, if other cities can do it, Atlanta should do it as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 07:03 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Um, you do realize that the city of Atlanta has subway and bus service. The burbs didn't want it. What's your point about trams?

Old 08-22-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Um, you do realize that the city of Atlanta has subway and bus service. The burbs didn't want it. What's your point about trams?
Not a very good one. It would be nice if it extended to the burbs. I sure want it. That is why I have typed up a petition. I am trying to do something abuot it. Trams, well, more methods of transportation. A ride on an aerial tram(doubles as a ski lift) can be nice.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:22 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Not a very good one. It would be nice if it extended to the burbs. I sure want it. That is why I have typed up a petition. I am trying to do something abuot it. Trams, well, more methods of transportation. A ride on an aerial tram(doubles as a ski lift) can be nice.
I'm guessing from your profile you are in Paulding County. Given the location and sparse population of that county the chances of getting public transportation of any sort (let alone rail) is nil. It just doesn't make sense outside of commuter rail.

Here's the simple end of it. The City of Atlanta and Dekalb have world class transportation. There have been a lot of inroads to make the current system better (the Beltline and the return of the streetcars) and to add commuter rail (concept 3 http://tpb.ga.gov/Documents/TPB/Aug08/Attachment%202%20_AgendaItem%20IV_Concept%203%20ma p.pdf (broken link))

In your case, I'd suggest either moving to Fulton or Dekalb near term if you want to take subways.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:08 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
ill oppose all and any

1. public transportation*
2. public housing

within my district

i guess 90% of the people agree with me and so do my representatives

its a political suicide otherwise and you might have a better chance of tolling all roads

*excludes shuttles and stuff of that nature which are currently operating with relative........... failure.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'm guessing from your profile you are in Paulding County. Given the location and sparse population of that county the chances of getting public transportation of any sort (let alone rail) is nil. It just doesn't make sense outside of commuter rail.

Here's the simple end of it. The City of Atlanta and Dekalb have world class transportation. There have been a lot of inroads to make the current system better (the Beltline and the return of the streetcars) and to add commuter rail (concept 3 http://tpb.ga.gov/Documents/TPB/Aug08/Attachment%202%20_AgendaItem%20IV_Concept%203%20ma p.pdf (broken link))

In your case, I'd suggest either moving to Fulton or Dekalb near term if you want to take subways.
I used to live out in Paulding County. I forgot to update my place of residence. Even out in Cobb County the public transit is rather dissapointing. I can't live in Atlanta or DeKalb County for economic reasons. It isn't enough that MARTA covers only two small counties. It needs to cover all of metro Atlanta.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
ill oppose all and any

2. public housing

within my district

its a political suicide otherwise and you might have a better chance of tolling all roads

*excludes shuttles and stuff of that nature which are currently operating with relative........... failure.

Why? What about the people who can't drive due to certain issues.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:19 PM

360 posts, read 1,011,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
ill oppose all and any

2. public housing

within my district

Oh, so you travel exclusively on roads held by private landowners? I've got news for you -- the SECOND your car exits the driveway of your home and the wheels hit asphalt, you are taking PUBLIC transportation, albeit in a private vehicle.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:56 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCLTtoATL View Post
Oh, so you travel exclusively on roads held by private landowners? I've got news for you -- the SECOND your car exits the driveway of your home and the wheels hit asphalt, you are taking PUBLIC transportation, albeit in a private vehicle.
I think people forget that...or the fact that Georgia being a state w/ a huge # of roads and high miles driven per capita (big on gas tax payments) that we along w/ Texas, NJ, and Florida paid for Alaska's bridges to nowhere.

USATODAY.com - Alaska thanks you

Georgia probably should switch to more toll roads. It'd cut congestion and self fund more improvement projects vs. this distortionary effect created by building 12 lanes to every highway so we think we could actually successfully live 58 miles outside of the city and commute in daily.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:08 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
One of our biggest problems is the State gas tax. It's the lowest in the Nation, has not been raised in over 40 years, and is bound by the State Constitution to ONLY fund roads & bridges.

The Legislature needs to overhaul just about anything to do with transportation funding - as in repealing the ridiculously draconian MARTA restrictions to their own funds and the ability for the Metro Counties to pool together and pass a penny sales tax for Metro ONLY transportation funding.

Sadly, the State and the way it is run at present is THE largest roadblock to untangle the mess in Metro Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta