Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 06:17 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,785 times

Advertisements

So the NFL cancelled last night game in Philly because of the cold weather/blizzard. The NFL said earlier this year that ATL needs to build an outdoor stadium if we want the Superbowl because outdoors conditions are basically better to watch during the Superbowl. I dont understand how the NFL was complaining about the Ice storm in Atlanta during our last Superbowl and cancel the game yesterday in Philly because of severe weather but complain because we want to host the Superbowl again in the Dome

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 12-27-2010 at 06:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 07:28 PM

174 posts, read 412,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
So the NFL cancelled last night game in Philly because of the cold weather/blizzard. The NFL said earlier this year that ATL needs to build an outdoor stadium if we want the Superbowl because outdoors conditions are basically better to watch during the Superbowl. I dont understand how the NFL was complaining about the Ice storm in Atlanta during our last Superbowl and cancel the game yesterday in Philly because of severe weather but complain because we want to host the Superbowl again in the Dome

I agree!!!

Old 12-28-2010, 12:54 PM

562 posts, read 1,791,257 times
Did they say that we need an open air stadium or retractable roof? I thought the last study they did while they were contemplating a new stadium was to see how much a retractable roof was and while expensive, was possible. According to where the next superbowls are, I dont think either is the case. I think it comes down to those stadiums are newer and thus have more of an appeal factor, as well as being slightly larger stadiums, aka more revenue from tickets sales. How can Atlanta compare to Dallas, or Indy's stadium? My case against the open air is that 2013 is New Orleans, which has neither (and gets the superbowl every 10 years or so). The only reason I can see why they had it in Detroit and now Indy is because they are brand new, very large stadiums. Otherwise the freezing cold doesnt do much for pre and after parties. So, there has to be something else going on here.

Last edited by ecuresident; 12-28-2010 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: add

Old 12-28-2010, 02:12 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,939 times
Great points.

But count on our local corporate mainstream media to not only NOT point out the obvious contradiction, but to stand at open ranks in full support behind Mayor Reed as he gouges us taxpayers for more money for that precious open air Dome.

I would be more righteously outraged, but I am currently runing low on "outrage" energy.

Quote:

Old 12-28-2010, 02:16 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
It's not about totally being an open air stadium. If it were they would have a Super Bowl in S.F or Oakland. They want fire works and fly overs..

Old 12-28-2010, 04:38 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,939 times
Flyovers by the U.S. Air Force or U.S. Navy? More exorbitant costs to the taxpayers.

This open-air Dome deal is getting suckier and suckier by the minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
It's not about totally being an open air stadium. If it were they would have a Super Bowl in S.F or Oakland. They want fire works and fly overs..

Old 12-28-2010, 04:50 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,572,374 times
Quote:
The Ga Dome is not a bad stadium, but with what New York & Dallas have now I can see why Mr Blank wants to upgrade. A retractable roof is the best option. Open fields get the elements & Fly Overs. I think there are other reasons why NFL skips over Atlanta.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:03 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,572,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
Did they say that we need an open air stadium or retractable roof? I thought the last study they did while they were contemplating a new stadium was to see how much a retractable roof was and while expensive, was possible. According to where the next superbowls are, I dont think either is the case. I think it comes down to those stadiums are newer and thus have more of an appeal factor, as well as being slightly larger stadiums, aka more revenue from tickets sales. How can Atlanta compare to Dallas, or Indy's stadium? My case against the open air is that 2013 is New Orleans, which has neither (and gets the superbowl every 10 years or so). The only reason I can see why they had it in Detroit and now Indy is because they are brand new, very large stadiums. Otherwise the freezing cold doesnt do much for pre and after parties. So, there has to be something else going on here.
I agree something else is up. The 32 Owners pick the location, with Goodell being the odd vote. Mr. Blank is 1 in 33 men. Where do men with money & power want to go? Who do they want to be around? Who do they want to party with? Where do they want to eat? Whos economy do they want to push up? Where do these executives families feel most comfortable? Why does Miami & New Orleans rule the world? What does San Deigo & Tampa Bay have over Atlanta? Is it really about the venue? I dont think so. Its a favor for a favor business the Superbowl is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta