Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:14 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
While that is interesting and I am well aware of it.... that doesn't necessarily mean anything put up against "stuff white people like" is magically ok to say. Not everything will always be portrayed as tongue-in-cheek to all people.
Context is always important and that is why I say someone should be careful using it.
In all seriousness, I will say that you are right and it's important to explain context. I meant the comment to say that arguing rankings for schools is something that would appear on that particular blog, not a commentary on how much other races do or do not care about academics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 07:01 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
I think "Arguing over school rankings" should be an entry in Stuff White People Like.
Only in Atlanta. Where I came from, there was a higher percentage of white folks in the metro, and school quality was never an issue.

And that was the case well before statewide open enrollment up there.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:28 PM

349 posts, read 781,564 times
I know this discussion is about the ranking of schools within GA. However I just wanted to rant about something quickly. It seems that a lot of transplants complain that GA schools are terrible. I know nationally they rank low but at the same time it's not like I had to go through metal detectors in school and was taught by illiterate teachers. I currently work in NYC and I feel on par with everyone I work with if not above some folks. I think in general intelligent people will always rise above and a highly ranked school is not necessarily going to change that. So in a way I feel the intelligence of an individual is more important than the national ranking of a school. If a kid is dumb a good school isn't going to make him/her smart. At the same time i understand wanting the best for your child but let's keep it in perspective.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:43 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
I think "Arguing over school rankings" should be an entry in Stuff White People Like.
In all the discussion over this comment, I'm amazed that nobody has pointed out that virtually all the posts in this thread prior to that comment, including the OP, were by forum members who are self-identified ethnic Asians.

I understand that spacelord75 was just trying for light humor, but I think this thread better supports the notion that obsessing over school rankings is a characteristic of Tiger Mothers (and fathers).

Old 03-16-2011, 07:44 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Only in Atlanta. Where I came from, there was a higher percentage of white folks in the metro, and school quality was never an issue.

And that was the case well before statewide open enrollment up there.
Well I obviously can't comment on where you are from specifically, but I'm not quite so sure about that... only being Atlanta.

There is a huge issue going on right now with Memphis and Shelby County and their respective school systems. Detroit and many northeastern and industrial belt cities have a high degree of social segregation across town/county lines and many people often cite "schools" as the the reason.

People in New Jersey drastically defend their system of local town based schools to control who is in school with their children, even though it isn't as efficient and keeps property taxes high.

The main place where I know it doesn't hold true is in places like New Orleans. Most people pretty much assume public schools aren't good and if they can afford it go to private, usually catholic school.

but don't get me wrong your point is otherwise well taken. I'm just curious if what you are seeing is directly related to that that effect where the more homogenous a population is the more progressive they tend to be

Old 03-17-2011, 02:33 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Well I obviously can't comment on where you are from specifically, but I'm not quite so sure about that... only being Atlanta.
You're probably right. It sounds like many other places may have similar issues.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:41 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Latest US News MBA rankings:
Full Time MBA:
Georgia Tech - 28th
Georgia -57th

Evening MBA:
Georgia Tech - 17th
Georgia - unknown

Old 03-18-2011, 12:16 PM

105 posts, read 202,349 times
Georgia Tech has a lot of potential to be a top national school (It already is as an Engineering School). What it is missing to be a well-rounded university are a Medical School and a Law School.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:04 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTATL View Post
Georgia Tech has a lot of potential to be a top national school (It already is as an Engineering School). What it is missing to be a well-rounded university are a Medical School and a Law School.
Board of Regents will never do anything to help GT expand their academic offerings.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:10 PM

105 posts, read 202,349 times
Which is a shame because it would have a large impact on Atlanta's economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta