Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:22 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We may be looking at different people. I see lots of folks out walking, biking, jogging and generally bustling around all over town.
Although it's both an anecdote from my own experience and a statistical fact that folks in GA (and the south in general) are overweight and obese at a much higher rate than the national average, and considerably higher than some areas of the country where people are much less overweight. Coming from New England, one of the most healthy areas of the country with fewer obese and overweight folks, the higher number of very overweight people was very noticeable when we moved to Atlanta.

Maybe it's a suburban thing, but there is a large number of both young and old that are huge, and it seems to be both a black and white thing. Are they eating too much fried or fatty foods, or just sitting on the large behinds? Is it riding too much in their cars? I see people at the gym and hiking, etc., but the percentage of overweight people is definitely higher here in the south.

Anyone think I'm wrong?

http://calorielab.com/news/2010/06/2...t-states-2010/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 01:36 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Maybe it's a suburban thing, but there is a large number of both young and old that are huge, and it seems to be both a black and white thing. Are they eating too much fried or fatty foods, or just sitting on the large behinds? Is it riding too much in their cars? I see people at the gym and hiking, etc., but the percentage of overweight people is definitely higher here in the south.

Anyone think I'm wrong?

Fattest States 2010: CalorieLab's Annual Obesity Map - State Obesity Rankings

There's no doubt that obesity is a problem in the U.S., and worse in the South.

However, Southerners are hardly alone -- while 65.3% of Georgians are overweight or obese, so are 64.1% in Maine, 63.9% in Pennsylvania, and 62.8% in New Hampshire.

Those are pretty small differences and I'm not sure many of us could spot the difference between 65.3% and 64.1% by watching people walking down the street.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:48 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
Quote:
There's no doubt that obesity is a problem in the U.S., and worse in the South.

However, Southerners are hardly alone -- while 65.3% of Georgians are overweight or obese, so are 64.1% in Maine, 63.9% in Pennsylvania, and 62.8% in New Hampshire.

Those are pretty small differences and I'm not sure many of us could spot the difference between 65.3% and 64.1% by watching people walking down the street.
I'd like to see stats for Atlanta (not Georgia) as compared to other urban areas. The vast majority of people I see when I visit places like DC, Seattle, SF, LA, Miami, etc. I recall being very trim and fit. Atlanta seems to be fatter than a lot of other major cities.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'd like to see stats for Atlanta (not Georgia) as compared to other urban areas. The vast majority of people I see when I visit places like DC, Seattle, SF, LA, Miami, etc. I recall being very trim and fit. Atlanta seems to be fatter than a lot of other major cities.
A lot of it depends on perception. In my neck of the woods we tend to be pretty fit, as well as well dressed and above average in intelligence.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
And that was the "anecdote" part of my earlier comment. I travel all over, including some of the places you mention, and people in the southeast are generally much more overweight, and you also see entire families where the mom, dad, and children are all huge. Seeing the big chunky kids is especially disheartening.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
while 65.3% of Georgians are overweight or obese, so are 64.1% in Maine, 63.9% in Pennsylvania, and 62.8% in New Hampshire.
I'd have to review the stats and how they're collected, but it's VERY hard to believe that there is only 1% to 3% difference in obesity between Maine/New Hampshire and Georgia.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:47 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Most of the "large" people I know personally are Northeastern transplants.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I'd have to review the stats and how they're collected, but it's VERY hard to believe that there is only 1% to 3% difference in obesity between Maine/New Hampshire and Georgia.
Well, the chart you cited says they are from the CDC.

However, I think it's true that regardless of what the actual statistics may show the perception is that people in the South are generally much fatter and most likely lazier.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:58 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Atlanta's the 16th fittest city in the country, 1st in the South.

ACSM | America's 50 Largest Metro Areas Get Their Annual Physical (http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Media&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=14704 - broken link)

I won't dig up the posts before, but I'm not sure which city of Atlanta you are talking about. People (particularly in the 30s and younger) are pretty fit around here. Most gyms are packed. During the warmer months the sidewalks have tons of joggers on them. I was in Piedmont Park yesterday and there were probably less loungers than there were people biking, running, roller skating, playing football, etc.

Interesting you brought up Miami though as they are a bit of a outlier. They ranked 39th on the same list. I suspect a lot of the people that are encountered in Miami that fit the perception of it being a fit city are really people just there on vacation. Every woman I know damn near starves and works themselves out to almost death before taking a vacation down there.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:06 AM

663 posts, read 1,863,398 times
I agree that certain parts of intown boast very visable numbers of fit/in-shape people - especially the Midtown area due to the demographics. It also seems that Atlanta has a sizable former military community, possibly contributing to the number of in-shape residents. However, the suburbs are a mixed-bag, but not as bad as the rural south and other southern metro areas.

All this being said, the metro area as a whole does seem fairly "chubby" , especially after my last trip to Orange County, CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: