Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 09:37 AM
fzx fzx started this thread

399 posts, read 511,996 times

Advertisements

Hey, I am new to the forum. I googled the neighbourhood and only found that it is a small one next to Borders and Target. Anybody who lives there can add more color?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 09:47 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
This is the neighborhood:

Buckhead - Atlanta, Georgia - Ridgedale Park

And view from Google Maps (The area between Peachtree road and Kingsboro road which loops around it)

30319 - Google Maps

Technically speaking I live in this neighborhood but on Peachtree Road and my view has always been that the development directly on Peachtree Road from Wieuca to the city limits in Brookhaven a few blocks north from Kingsboro road is separate from Ridgedale Park.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:55 AM
fzx fzx started this thread

399 posts, read 511,996 times
30319 - Google Maps

Technically speaking I live in this neighborhood but on Peachtree Road and my view has always been that the development directly on Peachtree Road from Wieuca to the city limits in Brookhaven a few blocks north from Kingsboro road is separate from Ridgedale Park.[/quote]

Is this a plus or negative for the neighbourhood

Old 04-04-2011, 10:37 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Ridgedale Park is one of the city's classic old neighborhoods. Dates back to the 20s. Along Peachtree there are lots of nice townhomes and midrise buildings, with beautiful single family homes further back in the neighborhood. You'd have great access to transit there and probably the best shopping in the south.

Last edited by arjay57; 04-04-2011 at 10:56 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 10:50 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzx View Post

Is this a plus or negative for the neighbourhood
If you mean from a cohesive neighborhood standpoint, yes, but not in a bad way exactly.

This particular area is an extreme example of the Buckhead oddity of "now you see it, now you don't". The feel and composure of the neighborhood is night and day on my particular block.

On the side I live on there is a long line of midrise condos, townhouses, and increasingly highrise condos. There is a direct public transit connection with the #25 bus to two MARTA stations and a third just walking distance away. On the Peachtree side you can have a pretty standard urban living experience with food, shopping and entertainment in easy walking distance.

On the other side of the block are tree lined single family homes on sizable lots with almost no sidewalk coverage. If you woke up from a deep sleep and found yourself on that side you would have to be convinced you were in the middle of the city and not in some far off suburb.

Because of this the two sides attract two very different residential demographics. On the Peachtree side it is primarily singles and young married couples without children who work mid level white collar types jobs but also a sprinkling of blue collar workers with the portion of Peachtree closer to Brookhaven being almost completely senior citizens living in high rise condos.

On the other side of the block it is almost entirely married couples with children who have higher level type white collar jobs.

Even though I have lived in that area for 5 years now, I feel almost completely removed from the portion not along Peachtree. Sometimes I forget it is even there and have only met one family that lived there. On the flip side I know about a dozen people up and down my block in different buildings on the Peachtree side that met only after moving there.

Despite this separation, as far as I can tell it does not impact your ability to enjoy that neighborhood. Either side has easy access to the same amenities. It basically comes down to which type of dwelling and setting you would want to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: