Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,225,043 times

Advertisements

The Midtown Patch is reporting that the city may shut down the Midtown police station, and re-assign officers to respond to 911 emergency calls.

Residents are very upset because they feel policing is still needed in needed in neighborhoods, in addition to the upcoming opening of Club Reign.

I can't post links...however, checkout the story when you get a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 11:41 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Oh, great...

Old 04-21-2011, 05:49 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Why would the APD need to shut down a police station to respond to a 911 call? Shouldn't the police be able to be dispatched from the police station anyways?

What if the 911 call was in midtown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
The Midtown Patch is reporting that the city may shut down the Midtown police station, and re-assign officers to respond to 911 emergency calls.

Residents are very upset because they feel policing is still needed in needed in neighborhoods, in addition to the upcoming opening of Club Reign.

I can't post links...however, checkout the story when you get a chance.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:31 PM

227 posts, read 494,861 times
Midtown will get worse if they shut down the police station

Old 04-21-2011, 07:23 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
After reading the article, I didn't see where it says that there is any plan to close the Midtown precinct, but to reassign the beat officers. I'm not sure exactly what the proposal is, but it didn't seem to suggest anywhere that the precinct will close, as it just recently opened. On another note, I'm not sure why the major media outlets have not picked up on this story if it's for real. What exactly is the Midtown Patch and why would it have an exclusive on this?

Old 04-21-2011, 07:38 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,256,199 times
I haven't seen any articles regarding Midtown precinct closing either. I checked and found no valid sources to substantiate this rumor.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,225,043 times
I think in the view of many residents, the precint might as well not exist if their will be no officers to patrol regular beats and neighborhoods. They are even more concerned because there will be no patrol officers available with the opening of Club Reign.

The Midtown Patch is one of the community segments covered by Patch.com. In my view, the "Patch" provides better individual community coverage than the AJC...and is has become one of my favorite online newspapers.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:51 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,256,199 times
Quote:
I think in the view of many residents, the precint might as well not exist if their will be no officers to patrol regular beats and neighborhoods. They are even more concerned because there will be no patrol officers available with the opening of Club Reign.

The Midtown Patch is one of the community segments covered by Patch.com. In my view, the "Patch" provides better individual community coverage than the AJC...and is has become one of my favorite online newspapers.
Oh I've read the Patch before over at a Starbucks in Midtown and if I remember it is very subjective newspaper. But re-routing the officers assignments might be to include the area surrounding the new Club Reign.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:58 PM

989 posts, read 1,743,067 times
Quote:

First, this station is in Downtown, it's right across from the Pine St Shelter and they are there Rent FREE courtesy of the Hospital, so I doubt they are closing. I find it curious that your greatest concern is about Club Reign, I'm sure there are better reasons to keep this station open other than to respond to traffic and noise in an area that already full of traffic and noise. It's not like there are not dedicated officers there already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: