Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times

Advertisements

About time a school decided to put its students first over the athletes. They are not moving up in sports but dropping out.

Spelman College chooses fitness over athletics | www.ajc.com

Spending $1 million for the fitness of its 2,000 students rather than 80 athletes. Maybe a lot of other small time athletics schools will follow suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 05:36 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
About time a school decided to put its students first over the athletes. They are not moving up in sports but dropping out.

Spelman College chooses fitness over athletics | www.ajc.com

Spending $1 million for the fitness of its 2,000 students rather than 80 athletes. Maybe a lot of other small time athletics schools will follow suit.
This makes sense for this school. Good for them. Just another example of Spelman making great decisions and leading the way over at the AUC.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:43 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
A bit more about Spelman's decision.

Spelman ends sports program to devote funds to overall campus fitness. What do you think? | Get Schooled

What really sold me on Spelman's move was not economic but

Quote:
For Tatum, there is also an element of social responsibility. She said a campus analysis found that almost one out of every two students has high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes or is obese.
Sports don't elevate Spelman's profile so why not spend that money on making the whole person both mentally and physically?

Neither Morehouse or CAU have high profile sports programs but within the HBCU community, there is intense pride and competition between HBCU schools (even during halftime ) So I expect those programs will remain although I wish the NCAA and more so the Title IX restrictions would be lifted as they cause colleges and universities to have to spend huge amounts of money on programs with no benefit to the school body. There are some exceptions (but very few) but football and men's basketball are the only programs worth the cost.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:56 PM

472 posts, read 809,836 times
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Spelman is great. The best HBCU around.

The social responsibility part really struck a chord. Blacks have significantly higher instances of all noted. It's great that Spelman is trying to help it's community in a viable and economically beneficial way.

GSU finally joined the commitment to ban smoking on it's campus. It's about time. I felt like I was walking through a volcano whenever I stepped foot on that campus.

Great to see Georgia schools combatting Georgia problems.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:08 PM

50% are that unhealthy? There are certainly a lot of 'big girls' down that way, but that percentage is astounding.

It is good the administration recognizes this is a problem and wants to help give the resources for people to fix their habits, but ultimately this comes down to personal responsibility. Lets hope these 50% take the resources that are being diverted to their unhealthy lifestyle and actually change the disgusting behavior that leads to these awful stats.

Last edited by gtcorndog; 11-03-2012 at 03:55 PM..

Old 11-04-2012, 01:57 AM

258 posts, read 534,629 times
fantastic idea!!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:43 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,892 times
Uh, they competed on the level of D-III lol. Their athletics didn't generate any revenue for them anyways, not exactly a hard decision.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Uh, they competed on the level of D-III lol. Their athletics didn't generate any revenue for them anyways, not exactly a hard decision.
So then why don't ALL D-III schools do this?

Old 11-04-2012, 08:36 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
This is what I was thinking...but everytime I think of a. Spelmen chick I of those aka girls with pink & grey jacket who makes
Those step noises, but most of those girls not really fat. Spelmen doesn't even seem like a school that would even enroll fat women. Very interesting play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta