Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 12:06 PM

6 posts, read 6,916 times

Advertisements

Hi there, would love some help on what area of Atlanta to live in! My husband is in the military and we literally got orders to move out there in just a few weeks. He'll be stationed close to Dobbins AF. My stress levels are through the roof if you can imagine.

1. Budget- We'd like to keep our rent including utilities around $1300/month.

2. We're looking into a townhouse/condo instead of a home.We don't have time to maintain lawn upkeep and such. But if the price is right we'll re-consider. 2-3 bedroom, 1-2 baths. Planned communities with access to pool/playground a plus.

3. Employment Status- As mentioned above DH will be stationed by Dobbins in Smyrna. We'd like to be as close as possible to work with a half hour or less commute to work.

4. Children- Public school - this is the most important to us. We're willing to re-consider any and all above if we can get into a good school. We have two children 6 & 3. My 6 yr old will be in Second grade and needs to be challenged academically. Also access to activities such as dance and soccer. Hoping to put my 3 yr old in pre-school if we can afford it.
Also any good community colleges for myself.

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference- Would like a mix of the two. Can't stand being stranded in the 'burbs and having to drive out to get shopping done, etc. Access to entertainment, shopping, great restaurants would also be nice.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Maybe. Depending on DH's traveling, public transit to airport could help.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.
We're Asian, would like a diverse community with young families we can meet and hang out with. We're a military family, but not ultra conservative, the opposite more or less.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 06:43 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
From a location and price range, Smyrna/Mableton would be a good choice. Public schools are hit and miss. They are in the process of redistricting elementary schools in South Cobb so that is not yet predictable. Public transportation to the airport is not really an option. If you don't want to drive yourself, it is basically break even to take a taxi or car service as it is to park. Anothe option is for you to drop your husband at one of the Cumberland Mall hotels where he can grab a shuttle (not free).

Another option would be Powder Springs/West Cobb/Kennesaw for more school options.

1300 including utilities will be tight. My recommendation would be consider renting a house and then paying someone to take care of the lawn if not included in the rent. That is generally more cost efficient. Regardless of where you live, all of these options will have lots of shopping nearby. West and South Cobb is does not have a heavy Asian population (that would be Gwinnett County) but they are diverse enough that it won't be an issue.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 PM

Awesome thanks! I probably wasn't as clear in my post, but we're only renting. So renting a condo or town home should be cheaper than a house?...

Will look into those areas for school. Not being in a heavily Asian populated area isn't a biggie for us. Just as long as people are friendly and welcoming.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:53 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,143,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyedgyal View Post
Awesome thanks! I probably wasn't as clear in my post, but we're only renting. So renting a condo or town home should be cheaper than a house?...

Will look into those areas for school. Not being in a heavily Asian populated area isn't a biggie for us. Just as long as people are friendly and welcoming.

Not necessarily, Depends on location. House however usually will not be all inclusive, but not all townhouses will be either.( and have HOA fees attached your responsible for) reason begin is single family homes tends to be on the outskirts a bit less locale where as condos. apartments, townhouses are so your paying to the location /convenience.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:09 PM

Ah yes I see what you're saying. I know that utilities and such wouldn't necessarily be included in rent for either. I was just going by how much we're allotted for housing by the military every month. How much do utilities for gas and electric usually come out to be?

Old 06-09-2011, 12:15 AM

again depends on size of single home, the efficiency of the HVAC, appliances in the home..or Condo/townhouse. In the apartment/condo/townhouse their alot cheaper. Detached home same. Single family home, say it is brand new with all new everything in it. Electric down in Ga is cheaper then Gas. So, less assume it is all electric.

I'll use my home as a reference guide. Home built in 2009, all electric, radiant barrier, energy star appliances, 3 bedroom 2300 square foot home. 2 adults one 11 yr old in home.Avarages around give or take more , est 300 a month for electricity (we have a gas water tank and gas stove 100 a month) 30 monthly for water.

Older the home is less efficient-affects utilities cost. Less exterior walls to cool /heat=less utility cost ,Smaller square footage=less utility cost. Even shade by dense trees can affect the outcome.

Our HOA fees runs us 375 a year.

your outcome will vary drastic on your family habit's and the type of housing dwelling you pick. So a condo townhouse will easily be half that electric bill, but higher rent/HOA fees. Where the rent maybe cheaper, no hoas fees, and higher utility costs.

I wouldn't rule out a detached, semi detached, or a single family rental.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:28 AM

added note in Smyrna , Teasley Elementary school off Spring Hill Rd & King Springs Elementary off Reed road have great test score's and school rantings on the many various websites.

house rentals probably will range around 950 ish, were as townhouses you can get around your 1300 in Smyrna

Old 06-09-2011, 04:31 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Single family homes are typically going to be more family friendly. I live in a Townhome and there are few children. The yards are not that big for kids to play in and our s/d does not have common areas for them.

Definitely ask about utilities. I pay around $300 per month but my house is horribly inefficient - just replaced all the windows so hopefull I will see improvement this year. If you have a small yard, mowing is only going to be $60-$100 per month

Last edited by lorilove; 06-09-2011 at 04:51 AM..

Old 06-09-2011, 06:02 PM

Can't thank you enough for all the info. I've been scouring the thread on schools and am thinking we'll try and find something to rent within boundaries of a good school. I've only started looking online at possible places to rent and probably leaning towards a house. Definitely overwhelmed at this point. Thanks so much again!

Old 06-09-2011, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,188 times
What state are you coming from? I ask because you may find what is considered good here, not good elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta