Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 05:46 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
In my opinion, it will be a few years out before economists can figure out what exactly happened to the growth machine that was 1990s Atlanta. To answer this question, one has to go much farther back than 2008, though. The first symptoms of the disease began after the early 2000s recession, when, unlike other boomtowns, Atlanta never recovered the high-paid jobs it lost. While its job market did grow, it was mostly in low-paying jobs.
The big difference between Atlanta and Houston (where I lived throughout the 90s) is that Atlanta was doing much better than Houston. So what's the story, here? I suspect it's just that energy and health care are booming -- and if Houston has learned anything in its history, it's that it won't necessarily last.

It's pretty clear that the recession has hit Atlanta harder than it hit Houston. I'm just not sure you need to look any further than energy and health care to explain that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 05:53 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Unemployment rate is only part of the puzzle--look at per capita income growth and the picture is a lot bleaker for Atlanta.

Anyways, this isn't at all what I intended this thread to be about. I'm talking about who is expanding and shrinking payrolls presently.

But if someone manages to figure out why Atlanta's income growth was so crappy in the 2000s, which was a decade of very fast population growth among all demographics (our white population growth rate was nestled in between Houston's and Dallas', for those who were about to bring it up), I'll be more than happy to accept the derail.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:06 PM

Per capita income tells the same story, doesn't it? The 90s were great and the Great Recession has sucked. I'm not really challenging, here, just asking. I don't live in Atlanta, so I'm a bit surprised by the perception that things were bad long before the current cratering of the economy.

ETA: Houston's per capita income has definitely taken off, though. Again, boom...

Last edited by Cameron H; 06-23-2011 at 06:23 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 08:25 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Massive hiring of illegal aliens for substandard wages. Its all under the table. And a huge factor in why many small businesses are not doing any hiring.
However, I know some small businesses that depend almost exclusively on immigrant workers -- many of whom, I guessing, are illegals.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:12 PM

3,711 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
Per capita income tells the same story, doesn't it? The 90s were great and the Great Recession has sucked. I'm not really challenging, here, just asking. I don't live in Atlanta, so I'm a bit surprised by the perception that things were bad long before the current cratering of the economy.

ETA: Houston's per capita income has definitely taken off, though. Again, boom...

When I use words like 'horrific' to describe Atlanta's economic performance from 2000-present, this is the sort of stuff I'm talking about:

http://www.clevelandfed.org/CFFileServlet/_cf_image/_cfimg-5182784344761752606.PNG (broken link)

Real Income Growth across Metropolitan Areas :: Tim Dunne and Kyle Fee :: Economic Trends :: 06.06.08 :: Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland

Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
When I use words like 'horrific' to describe Atlanta's economic performance from 2000-present, this is the sort of stuff I'm talking about:
Yeah, that only runs through 2006, the trough in my graph. But you're right, it's horrific. When you look at the full decade, and excepting the Texas boom, Atlanta has company in the Sunbelt.

I'm not sure there's an explanation for this unique to Atlanta. The (N)aughts were a lost decade almost everywhere, even before the Great Recession.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:50 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,108,189 times
Quote:
Calm down please. I'm not dismissing Atlanta's poor job performance over the last decade--that's a topic for another thread. I'm only talking about short term trends and jobs performance in the economic recovery--that's why I only mention the past year. The fact that government employment has collapsed in the last couple years hasn't been very well established in local media--this has been far and away the most important driver of our recent labor reports--and I'm simply trying to establish the fact.

I actually agree with you completely that our horrid private sector job performance of the last decade is a mystery, but it's not one I'm attempting to explain by any means.

I'm all for focusing on private-sector job growth. I think that ought to have been clear in my post. But the fact remains: for whatever reason, the jobs we are bleeding right now are government jobs, not private-sector jobs. When people hear the statistics, they need to keep that in mind. I would think you of all people would be encouraged by this.

I actually think that losing 1,700 non-construction private sector jobs in a year is either on par with or better than our performance throughout the 2000s. Which is rather terrifying.
I am glad that we are in agreement. I think the title of the thread threw me off.

In any case, I find that most people think of 2000s Atlanta as some sort of boomtown, and that is so far off from reality. The only thing it boomed in was speculative construction.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that only runs through 2006, the trough in my graph. But you're right, it's horrific. When you look at the full decade, and excepting the Texas boom, Atlanta has company in the Sunbelt.

I'm not sure there's an explanation for this unique to Atlanta. The (N)aughts were a lost decade almost everywhere, even before the Great Recession.
One thing I noticed: whereas Atlanta was at the top of the pack in 1996, it was second-to-last by 2006.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:

Real Income Growth across Metropolitan Areas :: Tim Dunne and Kyle Fee :: Economic Trends :: 06.06.08 :: Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland
That is truly scary.

I will try to dig up an ARC source that shows how Atlanta's job growth in the 2000s was actually comprised mostly of low-paying jobs, such as cashiers. The amount of high-paying, white collar jobs in Atlanta is roughly the same as it was in 2000.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
The big difference between Atlanta and Houston (where I lived throughout the 90s) is that Atlanta was doing much better than Houston. So what's the story, here? I suspect it's just that energy and health care are booming -- and if Houston has learned anything in its history, it's that it won't necessarily last.

It's pretty clear that the recession has hit Atlanta harder than it hit Houston. I'm just not sure you need to look any further than energy and health care to explain that.

Yes, Houston has an advantage in the form of oil. But what's the reason for Dallas' economic health?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta